U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 08:21 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,083,433 times

Advertisements

Agree and the demand is in rentals right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I've discussed this with a couple of big apartment developers.

It seems to me that development should be driven by demand, rather than simply by where developers can borrow money. The latter approach is a big part of what drove us into the gigantic financial mess of the 2000s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 08:26 PM

Less risk to the developer as its easier to rent the units at a high rental rate then spending several years selling all the units.

Why would apartments only have a 15-20 year life span? Even the IRS gives you depreciation for 27.5 yrs but of course they will last much longer, especially in these prime locations.

Quote:
Less risk to whom, though? I would expect many developers to build as quickly as they can, take the tax deductions and then sell to an institutional owner.

So who's left holding the bag in the long run? Especially if the apartments have an expected life span of 15-20 years?

Old 02-01-2013, 08:58 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,616,951 times
Well let's see. NYC apartments are only increasing in price, yet some of them are very old. If the demand to live in a certain area is there, it won't matter how old these apartments are.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:05 PM

28,183 posts, read 24,757,324 times
I'm just saying that if you look at the typical 20 year old stick built apartment complex most of them are not exactly high end.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:58 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,822,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Less risk to the developer as its easier to rent the units at a high rental rate then spending several years selling all the units.

Why would apartments only have a 15-20 year life span? Even the IRS gives you depreciation for 27.5 yrs but of course they will last much longer, especially in these prime locations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Well let's see. NYC apartments are only increasing in price, yet some of them are very old. If the demand to live in a certain area is there, it won't matter how old these apartments are.
Quote:
I'm just saying that if you look at the typical 20 year old stick built apartment complex most of them are not exactly high end.
Historically, in the Southeast, apartments have not aged well. Remember, home ownership has been king/queen in this region and most people, unlike NYC, don't envision being life long renters.

Will the changing economy change this? Hard to say, but some Southeastern cities are actually looking to cap apartment construction because of fears, not for today, but 10-20 years down the road.

While location is important, newness is also a factor for many renters. So, if a new complex comes into the general area, it often drives the rent down of existing units, sometimes within just a few years of opening. Older complexes are often not well maintained.

As I said it is going to be hard to tell if we have a generation that won't aspire to home ownership, instead be wiling to be long term renters in order to live in a certain location. Additionally, if demand stays high in an area, perhaps new apartment complexes won't decline quite as rapidly.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 AM

I think you have a good point but for some of these high rise and other new apartments being built in the city to be top of the line they will do well far into the future. Midtown is filled with apartment buildings (and office buildings) that were turned into condos and many people love living in them even if they are over 20 years old.

The feeling seems to be that some of these nice buildings will be turned to condo at some point which makes a lot of sense if you look historically. But every city also needs well placed nice apartment buildings as well, something midtown has lacked in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Historically, in the Southeast, apartments have not aged well. Remember, home ownership has been king/queen in this region and most people, unlike NYC, don't envision being life long renters.

Will the changing economy change this? Hard to say, but some Southeastern cities are actually looking to cap apartment construction because of fears, not for today, but 10-20 years down the road.

While location is important, newness is also a factor for many renters. So, if a new complex comes into the general area, it often drives the rent down of existing units, sometimes within just a few years of opening. Older complexes are often not well maintained.

As I said it is going to be hard to tell if we have a generation that won't aspire to home ownership, instead be wiling to be long term renters in order to live in a certain location. Additionally, if demand stays high in an area, perhaps new apartment complexes won't decline quite as rapidly.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:11 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,419,588 times
I'm Moving to this area once PCM opens

Old 02-03-2013, 01:50 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,577,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
the thing about NYC apartments though is that they were *well* built a long time ago. well-built apartment complexes today with a concrete and metal core like skyhouse will still be popular years from now, however a lot of the low-rise apartments that are basically built out of plywood and stucco, will deteriorate and will be trashy 20 years from now. that's why i'm concerned about a lot of the low rise apartments going up in town, they don't have to meet the same structural standards as tall buildings do and i'm afraid they will be like projects 20 years from now.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 AM

22,209 posts, read 16,245,820 times
Quote:
however a lot of the low-rise apartments that are basically built out of plywood and stucco, will deteriorate and will be trashy 20 years from now.
EG: Garden style apartments. Most Post and Gables complexes.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:28 AM

37 posts, read 59,466 times
Anyone know when the apartments will be available? Just noticed that they opened up a website for them today: Flats at Ponce City Market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or