U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 10:41 AM

2,092 posts, read 2,560,941 times

Advertisements

State Farm, KDC, announce massive project - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 10:46 AM

28,139 posts, read 24,671,942 times
Whoa! This is ginormous!

Quote:
The Dallas-based real estate company is developing the campus, which will employ thousands of State Farm workers and continue the urbanization of Dunwoody and the central Perimeter. It would eclipse the size of other giant corporate office projects over the past several decades, including Scientific-Atlanta’s 1.5 million-square-foot development and The Home Depot Inc.’s 1.6 million-square-foot campus, both in the suburbs.

State Farm will add 3,000 employees over the next 10 years to the campus, eventually housing about 8,000 here.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:49 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,749,036 times
The are already can't sustain the car traffic there. It's impossible on many afternoons.

Notice all this will happen without any infrastructure improvements and no, building next to MARTA won't address that.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:18 AM

858 posts, read 1,086,175 times
No infrastructure improvements? LOL! In the last five years Perimeter Center has added bike lanes, added sidewalks, rebuilt the Hammond/400 interchange, converted the Ashford Dunwoody interchange to a DDI, built an entirely new bridge over 285 where this development is happening, is currently modifying traffic signals to improve left turns, and is planning a new 285/400 interchange which should be started in the near future. What else do you want? Flying cars?

This is excellent news. When State Farm started talking about the area I was worried they would build a corporate fortress like Cox has, but it looks like that's not going to be the case.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:37 AM

28,139 posts, read 24,671,942 times
Not to mention that they've been paying for MARTA since day one.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
No infrastructure improvements? LOL!
That's funny? I guess you don't work in Perimeter.

Quote:
In the last five years Perimeter Center has added bike lanes, added sidewalks,
I referred to car traffic, as this is Atlanta.

Quote:
rebuilt the Hammond/400 interchange
Does NOTHING for Ashford Dunwoody and other areas. If it's a positive, it's for workers at the King and Queen tower and that's wonderful, but hardly useful beyond that exact location.

Quote:
, converted the Ashford Dunwoody interchange to a DDI
Which is fine for those going to 285, but it made it WORSE for heading 285 west, not to mention nothing has been done to address a major, major problem that those heading west onto 285 are blocked by 285 traffic trying to get to 400 North.

The DDI took away one of the westbound lanes... now there is only one, while there 3 lanes for the other direction. I work at Ravinia and we have seconds of a green light, the backs up mean often only 2-3 cars get out and often forced into another lane and have to fight to get in the correct lane.

When arriving at the exit in the morning, we are on the "wrong" side of the rd. Previously, I would be in the right lane (like normal) and make my right turn into Ravinia, now I'm the lanes over on the other side of the road.

Quote:
new bridge over 285 where this development is happening
Yes which takes you to the Northside hospital bottle neck. If it took you out of the traffic mess, it would be great, but unless you can avoid roads of people trying to get on 285

Quote:
, is currently modifying traffic signals to improve left turns
That doesn't help what I have described, though I have heard from coworkers who head up past the mall to Abernathy, that the flow is better.

Quote:
, and is planning a new 285/400 interchange which should be started in the near future. What else do you want?
That's a big budget item and I referred to a lack of changes already. What you are referring isn't going to happen for years. They got a tiny amount of money ($10 million) for a half billion dollar project.

When you consider how without thought, offices went up, with addressing an extremely congested area... it's been a joke, so yeah I can see why you would "LOL" but it's hardly funny.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:02 PM

9,916 posts, read 6,906,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
The are already can't sustain the car traffic there. It's impossible on many afternoons.

Notice all this will happen without any infrastructure improvements and no, building next to MARTA won't address that.
JoeP- Sprawl brings traffic. Density near transit brings solutions to traffic.

Note how the cities with the worse traffic are sprawled out cities. But cities with 5x the population and density can be easier to get around.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:04 PM

4,945 posts, read 3,995,682 times
Finally, that empty lot across the street from the Dunwoody station is going to get some love and attention.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:03 PM

Of course sprawl brings traffic. that's already been noted.

My point is that Perimeter has exceeded what the area can support. Density is great, but putting an office next to MARTA is but a small thing. The vast majority of employees will driving cars and not all of the new office space will be in the lot across from MARTA.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:05 PM

858 posts, read 1,086,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Words.
What improvements would you make?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or