U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 11:21 PM

924 posts, read 1,133,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Ok a few points to ponder

... and I mean ... its within a mile of downtown as-is. Just bring downtown to it, not it to downtown. Baseball is a great way to feed pubs, bars, and grill/restaurants perfect for a vibrant dense, urban residential community that wants those amenities too. It is less than a mile to a major university and less than a mile to a heavy rail station. It isn't a bad location.

No it isn't. If you take Google walking directions from the corner of Georgia Ave. and Capitol Ave. to the Ga. State station it is exactly 1 mile. That is the closest corner of Turner Field to the station. The opposite corner is 1.3.

The gameday atmosphere around Turner Field is 100% limited to tailgating and it all the restaurants nearby are fast food places(and I think some of those even closed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Why would they want to get rid of Turner Field? It's a fine ballpark.
It is a fine boring/bland ballpark in a crappy location. I don't think it is worth building a new one anything but whoever decided to put it where it is originally made a large mistake not putting it closer to Marta. The Falcons will make the same mistake if they end up on the north side of the GWCC.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:55 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,294,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
No it isn't. If you take Google walking directions from the corner of Georgia Ave. and Capitol Ave. to the Ga. State station it is exactly 1 mile. That is the closest corner of Turner Field to the station. The opposite corner is 1.3.

The gameday atmosphere around Turner Field is 100% limited to tailgating and it all the restaurants nearby are fast food places(and I think some of those even closed).
For crying out loud!! Talking about splitting hairs!

Ok first... Google directions round.

Use Google Earth and draw a path. It will give you an exact measurement to the hundreth of a mile.

I clicked at the gate directly across the street from the brick sidewalk path a pedestrian would take as the shortest walk inside the gates and went all the way down Capitol Ave and half way under the MARTA bridge and ended up with 0.94 miles.

As far as atmosphere... That is why I mentioned the parking lots... the atmosphere is driven by the parking lots until you get inside the stadium, but that is because the city has held on to them and hasn't let them be developed. It is a perfect opportunity for infill development and they already are seeking out developers and got several proposals back. We'd be silly to not consider it.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
For crying out loud!! Talking about splitting hairs!

Ok first... Google directions round.

Use Google Earth and draw a path. It will give you an exact measurement to the hundreth of a mile.

I clicked at the gate directly across the street from the brick sidewalk path a pedestrian would take as the shortest walk inside the gates and went all the way down Capitol Ave and half way under the MARTA bridge and ended up with 0.94 miles.

As far as atmosphere... That is why I mentioned the parking lots... the atmosphere is driven by the parking lots until you get inside the stadium, but that is because the city has held on to them and hasn't let them be developed. It is a perfect opportunity for infill development and they already are seeking out developers and got several proposals back. We'd be silly to not consider it.
Either way, it is at least a 15 minute walk from the absolute closest corner of the stadium(which is in the outfield where the least amount of people in the stadium are sitting) to Marta. That is by no means convenient transit access.

If they develop the parking lots and take away parking(or put in decks with horrible access) that will just make it tougher to get to a game and get home after than it already is. I don't know how putting businesses in/around the parking lots will do better than the failed businesses near the stadium now but it would be nice if it actually was better. The problem is the area around Turner isn't somewhere anyone would choose to go if a game isn't happening and I don't see that changing soon.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:04 PM

4,978 posts, read 4,019,351 times
Quote:
It is a fine boring/bland ballpark in a crappy location. I don't think it is worth building a new one anything but whoever decided to put it where it is originally made a large mistake not putting it closer to Marta. The Falcons will make the same mistake if they end up on the north side of the GWCC.
It's a sunk cost. Sure, Turner Field would be better off located near the Dome, but what's done is done. The city is better off following through with their plan of increasing development around the Ted (and hopefully getting some kind of nightlife going), instead of completely razing the Ted.

Another thing--baseball is a game built around tradition. There was a reason all those new ballparks back in the 90s, including Turner Field, were meant to have an old-school look and feel to them. Even though ours had to start off as an olympic track and field stadium, it pulled that off pretty well. My only real beef is that the current design does not show off its exterior architecture that well, something that is a highly underrated component of the ballpark. That's part of where I'd like to see new development. That, or develop in the north lots, and build some new parking lots south and east of the Ted to show it off a bit more.

Also, let's not forget that baseball stadiums are BIG. Take a look at this Google map of Rangers' Ballpark and Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. That football stadium is about as big as they get, but that baseball field is fairly typical in size--and their footprints cover a similar number of square feet.

Seeing a megaproject downtown besides the new Falcons' stadium would be great, but please, don't let it be yet another stadium for the Braves. Leave them at Turner Field.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:20 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,428,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
It's a sunk cost. Sure, Turner Field would be better off located near the Dome, but what's done is done. The city is better off following through with their plan of increasing development around the Ted (and hopefully getting some kind of nightlife going), instead of completely razing the Ted.

Another thing--baseball is a game built around tradition. There was a reason all those new ballparks back in the 90s, including Turner Field, were meant to have an old-school look and feel to them. Even though ours had to start off as an olympic track and field stadium, it pulled that off pretty well. My only real beef is that the current design does not show off its exterior architecture that well, something that is a highly underrated component of the ballpark. That's part of where I'd like to see new development. That, or develop in the north lots, and build some new parking lots south and east of the Ted to show it off a bit more.

Also, let's not forget that baseball stadiums are BIG. Take a look at this Google map of Rangers' Ballpark and Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. That football stadium is about as big as they get, but that baseball field is fairly typical in size--and their footprints cover a similar number of square feet.

Seeing a megaproject downtown besides the new Falcons' stadium would be great, but please, don't let it be yet another stadium for the Braves. Leave them at Turner Field.
I'm starting to think it might be in a plan to move Turner Field. Logistically it makes sense, if the Falcons get the south location, I am whiling to bet talks of moving the Braves to a new stadium between the GWCC and the new Falcons Stadium will rise. It will be a sporting adventure very few cities could match especially when the sports seasons cross. It would be very good for Vine City.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 AM

3,209 posts, read 4,522,351 times
Wow...I'm actually surprised about the amount of support relocating Turner is getting. I'm not necessarily advocating it, but I think a discussion needs to be had over the next 10 years. Once again...I'm talking longer term. Get the Falcons a new stadium and have a few seasons go by, then we'll think about the Braves.

Congestion could be an issue, but I just don't think it will be that much of a problem. Most games start at 7PM. By that point, the rush hour headed out of downtown is definitely ebbing. And you'll almost certainly see more people take MARTA if it's a one-seat trip. Plus, I imagine a new Braves stadium would be in the mid-40,000 capacity range.

Re: view. The view of downtown from Turner is kinda of weak in my opinion. Probably 60%+ of the seats have no view whatsoever. It's mainly from the upper right deck you can see downtown. And those seats are miserably sun-drenched in the summer; typically they're general admission seats that are empty except for big games. Even then it's not imposing, with most of the skyscrapers over a mile away.

I mainly just agree with the above poster, though. We'd have a sports experience nobody could match. You've got to jump on opportunities like that when they come about.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:50 AM

22,221 posts, read 16,266,402 times
Leave the Ted where it is. Development will follow it there and a streetcar line could be built connecting GA State and/or West End to the stadium. Streetcar is cheaper than HRT and will give a better street-level experience to the users.
The new football stadium should be built on the south site for existing MARTA connection, the north site is a joke. There is nothing around, we would be making the same mistakes as before in choosing the north site.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:18 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,551,151 times
Quote:
There was a lot of potention for that area near turner field, it could have easily been see up like Wrigley in Chicago, but they put those condos/townhomes too far away. If those residence were built right next to the ballpark that would be a great place to hang, if one was not at the game.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,551,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Leave the Ted where it is. Development will follow it there and a streetcar line could be built connecting GA State and/or West End to the stadium. Streetcar is cheaper than HRT and will give a better street-level experience to the users.
The new football stadium should be built on the south site for existing MARTA connection, the north site is a joke. There is nothing around, we would be making the same mistakes as before in choosing the north site.
I agree with this post, wonder why there is no plans to have the street car get to Turner Field?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or