U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 09:07 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,655,708 times

Advertisements

I don't think we have a bad deal. Like jsvh pointed out the state paid for the dome in full. We will own a billion dollar stadium for 140 million plus infrastructure costs. I say 140 since Blank is paying 60 mil of our debt. We will be guaranteed a superbowl and when that happens we will get HALF OF OUR MONEY back in ONE DAY!! What other investment could we do that with?? It would be worth the other seventy just to not have to look at the gulch. We will have renewed interest in downtown and Vine City can revitalize when the Dome is gone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 09:10 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,300,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
I don't think we have a bad deal. Like jsvh pointed out the state paid for the dome in full. We will own a billion dollar stadium for 140 million plus infrastructure costs. I say 140 since Blank is paying 60 mil of our debt. We will be guaranteed a superbowl and when that happens we will get HALF OF OUR MONEY back in ONE DAY!! What other investment could we do that with?? It would be worth the other seventy just to not have to look at the gulch. We will have renewed interest in downtown and Vine City can revitalize when the Dome is gone.
What makes you say that?

Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 AM
JPD

11,871 posts, read 14,483,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
What is misleading about it? It contradicts the media-fed narrative?
I don't know what the "media fed narrative" is, so I'll leave that aside.

It is misleading because, while it's true that the taxes aren't coming out of the pockets of locals (except for when we stay in local hotels, and make no mistake, that does happen quite often), the money being generated isn't going to increase tourism in any meaningful way. These taxes could be used for other things that could have a better payoff for the city than a new stadium that's replacing a slightly used stadium.

So, we could be losing out on some great things because the money is going towards something we don't need.

Last edited by JPD; 01-31-2013 at 09:41 AM..

Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
What makes you say that?
I suppose I shouldn't have used the word guaranteed. However, Arthur Blank is a damn good business man. And we are Atlanta. We got the centennial Olympics when other places probably "deserved" it more. The Dome hosted the super bowl in 94 and 2000. If the dome could get it 94 in Vine City I think the new stadium can get it Downtown in 2017/18. That area will have a lot of attention in a few years

Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,409,749 times
If New Orleans can have the SB again this year maybe our dome can have it again

Old 01-31-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
If New Orleans can have the SB again this year maybe our dome can have it again
They have something that time of year that we don't. Hordes of drunk college girls that will do "anything" for beads! We should work on that issue. At least people here don't have to walk far from the dome to get "some of that butter" I kid

Old 01-31-2013, 10:03 AM

9,918 posts, read 6,912,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I don't know what the "media fed narrative" is, so I'll leave that aside.

It is misleading because, while it's true that the taxes aren't coming out of the pockets of locals (except for when we stay in local hotels, and make no mistake, that does happen quite often), the money being generated isn't going to increase tourism in any meaningful way. These taxes could be used for other things that could have a better payoff for the city than a new stadium that's replacing a slightly used stadium.

So, we could be losing out on some great things because the money is going towards something we don't need.
I see, and what will you do with the $140-$200M that would better draw people to stay at downtown hotels rather than build a new stadium that will keep falcons in the area, and likely draw an MLS team, super bowl, world cup, and other events?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 AM

4,909 posts, read 3,713,502 times
Quote:
I see, and what will you do with the $140-$200M that would better draw people to stay at downtown hotels rather than build a new stadium that will keep falcons in the area, and likely draw an MLS team, super bowl, world cup, and other events?
At $39 million per mile, that's about 5 miles of streetcar. Or a bit more than the distance from downtown to Midtown, or a streetcar loop near the Georgia Aquarium/World of CocaCola and then some. Or most of the BRT component of the I-20 East project. THEN when we do get to hosting big events like you want, we have the infrastructure in place to move a large number of people around the city.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 AM
JPD

11,871 posts, read 14,483,607 times
Quote:
How likely? That is pure speculation and probably wishful thinking.

I'd rather see the money spent on large scale annual events (not something that happens every ten or fifteen years) or infrastructure improvements.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 AM

9,918 posts, read 6,912,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
At $39 million per mile, that's about 5 miles of streetcar. Or a bit more than the distance from downtown to Midtown, or a streetcar loop near the Georgia Aquarium/World of CocaCola and then some. Or most of the BRT component of the I-20 East project. THEN when we do get to hosting big events like you want, we have the infrastructure in place to move a large number of people around the city.
I will admit that I would support something like that too. But I think it would be politically impossible to get the legislation changed to allow the hotel tax money to go to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or