U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2013, 11:20 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,984 posts, read 4,021,785 times
Reputation: 2790

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
http://newatlantastadium.com/overview/location/
Oh look at that! They are indeed considering the area just south of the Dome, perhaps even building over it. I.e., not in the Gulch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2013, 09:55 AM
 
3,209 posts, read 4,523,358 times
Reputation: 1732
Donning my tinfoil hat for a moment, I feel like the only reason the south site is still even being mulled is because public opinion would quickly turn against the stadium if it were revealed the only site being seriously considered is the north site. I think the people who matter have all decided the north site is where the stadium will go, and are just keeping the south site in play for PR purposes. Next step is to get the agreement signed, let the feasibility studies "reveal" the south site is "unfeasible", and bingo: the stadium lands right where they want it on the north site.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see this happening any other way.

The silver lining is that, in 10-15 years when the new stadium is built and the Dome is demolished, we'll have a beautiful plot for a brand new baseball stadium at the current Dome's footprint. Unless we do something foolish like spend hundreds of million of dollars extending MARTA to Turner Field in the meantime, that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Inman Park
402 posts, read 570,370 times
Reputation: 300
There are a lot of free ideas to transform the area rather than just building a stadium. The city would be wise to consider the free work and labor here.


Tech
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,984 posts, read 4,021,785 times
Reputation: 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Donning my tinfoil hat for a moment, I feel like the only reason the south site is still even being mulled is because public opinion would quickly turn against the stadium if it were revealed the only site being seriously considered is the north site. I think the people who matter have all decided the north site is where the stadium will go, and are just keeping the south site in play for PR purposes. Next step is to get the agreement signed, let the feasibility studies "reveal" the south site is "unfeasible", and bingo: the stadium lands right where they want it on the north site.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see this happening any other way.

The silver lining is that, in 10-15 years when the new stadium is built and the Dome is demolished, we'll have a beautiful plot for a brand new baseball stadium at the current Dome's footprint. Unless we do something foolish like spend hundreds of million of dollars extending MARTA to Turner Field in the meantime, that is.
I, too, hope this doesn't happen. Losing a MARTA connection would be huge. They'd have to bus people in from the Civic Center station, which would be a far worse setup.

If they're dumb enough to build on that north site, though, I wish they'd raze Bauder "College" and turn it into a parking lot. (It's one of those stupid for-profit "colleges," and, well, I'll let the studentsreview.com review say the rest.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 10:23 PM
 
924 posts, read 1,133,305 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Donning my tinfoil hat for a moment, I feel like the only reason the south site is still even being mulled is because public opinion would quickly turn against the stadium if it were revealed the only site being seriously considered is the north site. I think the people who matter have all decided the north site is where the stadium will go, and are just keeping the south site in play for PR purposes. Next step is to get the agreement signed, let the feasibility studies "reveal" the south site is "unfeasible", and bingo: the stadium lands right where they want it on the north site.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see this happening any other way.

The silver lining is that, in 10-15 years when the new stadium is built and the Dome is demolished, we'll have a beautiful plot for a brand new baseball stadium at the current Dome's footprint. Unless we do something foolish like spend hundreds of million of dollars extending MARTA to Turner Field in the meantime, that is.
Then we would have a convenient baseball stadium and an inconvenient football stadium...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 11:33 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,984 posts, read 4,021,785 times
Reputation: 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
Then we would have a convenient baseball stadium and an inconvenient football stadium...
Why would they want to get rid of Turner Field? It's a fine ballpark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2013, 01:28 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,458 posts, read 7,297,382 times
Reputation: 4206
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Why would they want to get rid of Turner Field? It's a fine ballpark.
I also love the history to go along with it being an old olympic stadium and I love the brick that gives it an old classic American facade. It is a stadium I hope stands the test of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2013, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Grant Park
139 posts, read 182,060 times
Reputation: 69
I'm mostly in favor of the new stadium deal - despite knowing too much money will end up in undeserving hands and we, COA taxpayers, will indeed pay more than what is being said.

What's remarkable (speaking of Turner Field) is that we will have spent ~$700mil on football stadiums for ~750,000 attendants per year, while spending ~$200mil on a baseball stadium for ~2.6mil attendants per year. Projected over 50 years, that's $18.66/football fan, $1.53/baseball fan. (My data is probably off a bit, and my math/logic isn't perfect, but the point remains). If Falcons/football = good investment, it stands to reason that we could/should do more for the Turner Field area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2013, 12:17 PM
 
28,197 posts, read 24,793,101 times
Reputation: 9576
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Why would they want to get rid of Turner Field? It's a fine ballpark.
It'll soon be 20 years old, which is getting a little long in the tooth by Atlanta standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2013, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,984 posts, read 4,021,785 times
Reputation: 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It'll soon be 20 years old, which is getting a little long in the tooth by Atlanta standards.
Ah, right. Twenty is the new 70, or something like that. Thank god no city leader has been dumb enough to seriously consider replacing the Ted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top