U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-04-2013, 05:18 PM
 
727 posts, read 1,035,995 times
Reputation: 351

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Yep, all those high-income lawyers will being filling up the streetcars and LRTs.
If it's convenient to them..yes. Have you ever been to any of the major cities in the world? Rich people do ride public transit too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Yep, all those high-income lawyers will being filling up the streetcars and LRTs.
They currently enjoy riding MARTA to thier offices now, why not a shiny new streetcar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 07:25 AM
JPD
 
11,849 posts, read 14,459,174 times
Reputation: 7536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
GSU's biggest difficulty is recreational fields near to the campus. Expansion is difficult and GSU has to consider cannibalizing Sparks and Kell Halls for new buildings.
GSU is going to build a rec field right down the street from the dorms. It's already in the works. How hard was that? You act like they're trying to built the pyramids.

I agree that they should look at the possibility of Sparks and Kell being replaced. Putting new, taller buildings on their footprints would be a much better and more efficient use of that land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,262 posts, read 2,443,780 times
Reputation: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
They currently enjoy riding MARTA to thier offices now, why not a shiny new streetcar?
My father was an attorney with a powerful firm in Atlanta that was located in downtown and then moved to midtown. I can assure you, not one person on the executive level of that firm rode MARTA to work. I'm not saying they shouldn't, however, it's just not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Johns Creek area
9,552 posts, read 8,612,923 times
Reputation: 5052
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
My father was an attorney with a powerful firm in Atlanta that was located in downtown and then moved to midtown. I can assure you, not one person on the executive level of that firm rode MARTA to work. I'm not saying they shouldn't, however, it's just not true.
Sure it's true. Folks do it every day. Even lawyers at King & Spalding...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 10:59 AM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,794 posts, read 11,724,981 times
Reputation: 5394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
My father was an attorney with a powerful firm in Atlanta that was located in downtown and then moved to midtown. I can assure you, not one person on the executive level of that firm rode MARTA to work. I'm not saying they shouldn't, however, it's just not true.
Well, that's at the executive level. Very few people on the executive level use public transit for their daily commute. I mean, do you think CEOs in NYC are hoping on the subway to go to work. LOL

Now your lower and mid level folks, yes they do take transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 21,889,791 times
Reputation: 3848
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Well, that's at the executive level. Very few people on the executive level use public transit for their daily commute. I mean, do you think CEOs in NYC are hoping on the subway to go to work. LOL

Now your lower and mid level folks, yes they do take transit.
We don't all have keycards for door to the corporate helipad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 02:56 PM
 
7,113 posts, read 8,116,736 times
Reputation: 1772
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
GSU is going to build a rec field right down the street from the dorms. It's already in the works. How hard was that? You act like they're trying to built the pyramids.
Takes about as long. GSU has been there for about 50 years. And now...now their Rec fields are in the works? And how far are they from GSU's Rec center? Not convenient. KSU bought 88 acres for $20 million for their Rec fields and has several fields in place near their campus. GT has Rec fields surrounding its Rec center. Yes, it is tough for GSU to expand in downtown.

Quote:
I agree that they should look at the possibility of Sparks and Kell being replaced. Putting new, taller buildings on their footprints would be a much better and more efficient use of that land.
I'm not advocating Sparks and Kells' destruction. I'm a preservationist. It just goes to show that GSU's expansion is difficult and they have to resort to cannibalizing their own campus. And forget about setting aside anything for greenspace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 03:00 PM
JPD
 
11,849 posts, read 14,459,174 times
Reputation: 7536
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post


I'm not advocating Sparks and Kells' destruction. I'm a preservationist. It just goes to show that GSU's expansion is difficult and they have to resort to cannibalizing their own campus. And forget about setting aside anything for greenspace.
No they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Takes about as long. GSU has been there for about 50 years. And now...now their Rec fields are in the works? And how far are they from GSU's Rec center? Not convenient. KSU bought 88 acres for $20 million for their Rec fields and has several fields in place near their campus. GT has Rec fields surrounding its Rec center. Yes, it is tough for GSU to expand in downtown.


I'm not advocating Sparks and Kells' destruction. I'm a preservationist. It just goes to show that GSU's expansion is difficult and they have to resort to cannibalizing their own campus. And forget about setting aside anything for greenspace.
KSU looks like a large community college, even with the new dorms. Them and GSU are not on the same level, GSU is a level 1 research school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top