U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 PM

28,104 posts, read 24,632,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
My father was an attorney with a powerful firm in Atlanta that was located in downtown and then moved to midtown. I can assure you, not one person on the executive level of that firm rode MARTA to work. I'm not saying they shouldn't, however, it's just not true.
Sergey Brin rode the subway in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 06:58 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,459,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
KSU bought 88 acres for $20 million for their Rec fields and has several fields in place near their campus. GT has Rec fields surrounding its Rec center. Yes, it is tough for GSU to expand in downtown.

Comparing Kennesaw to Downtown. Facepalm.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:14 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,344,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Comparing Kennesaw to Downtown. Facepalm.
That's why it's harder for GSU to find/add land, isn't it???

Old 02-06-2013, 09:21 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
That's why it's harder for GSU to find/add land, isn't it???
Of course. It's harder for any city to find available land than it is for any suburb.

But contrary to what Mathman says, that doesn't equate to "GSU has had trouble expanding."

Old 02-06-2013, 03:19 PM

28,104 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Of course. It's harder for any city to find available land than it is for any suburb.
I would be surprised if that is true. A lot of suburban land is sky high.

I know rental rates are higher in the suburbs than they are downtown and that is probably reflected in property values as well.

http://www.colliers.com/~/media/File...ketReport.ashx

Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I would be surprised if that is true. A lot of suburban land is sky high.

I know rental rates are higher in the suburbs than they are downtown and that is probably reflected in property values as well.

http://www.colliers.com/~/media/File...ketReport.ashx
The poit is that, on the whole, downtown areas are built out and are denser than suburbs. There is less available land in downtown areas than suburban areas, by definition. You're not going to find multi-acre forested lots in downtown, but you can find those all over the suburbs.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Quote:
Only in prime suburban office parks locations, eg: Cumberland, Perimeter, Alpharetta. The land owners downtown know GSU is looking to expand so they are asking high prices because they can and GSU will pay it.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:47 AM

7,113 posts, read 8,116,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Only in prime suburban office parks locations, eg: Cumberland, Perimeter, Alpharetta. The land owners downtown know GSU is looking to expand so they are asking high prices because they can and GSU will pay it.
Not really. The parking lot across from the Natural Science Center has been eyed by GSU for a long time but the asking price is too high. GSU aslo wanted that small parking deck across from its Rec Center and likewise, too high of a price. GSU probably was able to get that large former Beaudry Ford lot as it was a toxic site. A campus like KSU can build with an eye toward campus aesthetics but GSU has to do with what it can. Again, it's a shame they didn't get Equitable because I think it would have really helped in freeing up more campus space not to mention giving GSU an iconic building with which to identify itself. Here's hoping the legal profession has a bubble of its own.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM

7,113 posts, read 8,116,736 times
Quote:
The poit is that, on the whole, downtown areas are built out and are denser than suburbs. There is less available land in downtown areas than suburban areas, by definition. You're not going to find multi-acre forested lots in downtown, but you can find those all over the suburbs.
Ergo, that is why it is so easy for GSU to expand!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Ergo, that is why it is so easy for GSU to expand!
I never said it was easy, but they have been able to massively expand their campus, as anyone who has been around for a while can plainly see. Good try, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or