U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,108 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate and move to Atlanta in the new few months, but as a young mother with a 1 year old I do have any mothers main concern at heart, the saftey of me and my child. I would prefer an apartment, townhouse sort of feel, I'm not quite ready for a house. Below are my answers to a few recommened questions that I should include in my listing. I'll be moving from Orlando, but I'm from Macon, GA but I am told its VERY different.

1. Budget-Any
2. Townhome/Apartment-My preferred choice of living, not ready for a house
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)-I am currently employed but my job is not transferable, as far as the commute I'm looking to stay within 15-20 miles of the neighborhood
4. Children-I have a one year old son, son to be 2 so I'm looking for daycares that are good in the same general area I'll be living.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two-I'd prefer if the area isn't so "urban" if you know what I mean, I know crime and such is everywhere but we all know there are places that are worse then others.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?-I have a car so public transit isnt a priority, but being close to it isnt a downer, never know what can happen.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.-I would prefer a quieter setting, good for raising a family, or where just a woman and her child(ren) can feel safe. I'd rather if my morning alarm were not bullets and neighborhood drama.

These are just a few off the top of my head, feel free to add more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 08:27 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,653,694 times
Cloud-level Unit at Mandarin Oriental Asks $1.9M - on the market - Curbed Atlanta

Old 02-01-2013, 08:43 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,787,452 times
You won't get much help, to be honest. Townhomes, daycares and safe areas exist all over Atlanta metro. What isn't as easy to find are the decent jobs. That has to be your first step, so you don't end up living too far from your place of employment.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:40 AM

75 posts, read 155,906 times
Advise finding employment before moving.

The rest of your post is no where near specific enough for anyone to help you, and the more helpful members who know the metro area will be better served helping relocators who are serious...

Old 02-02-2013, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msh0146 View Post
Advise finding employment before moving.

The rest of your post is no where near specific enough for anyone to help you, and the more helpful members who know the metro area will be better served helping relocators who are serious...
If you were only going to be negative I'd rather if you had just kept your comment to yourself really. I really only need safe areas to live in, not help with anything else. The opinion of a complete stranger about my seriousness on relocating is meager, but thank you.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:07 PM

9,002 posts, read 16,118,243 times
Sorry to say but msh is right.

No Budget, No job/location, There is not a lot we can give advice to.

The metro area is SO big that with out narrowing it down to a small part the advice we can give would be worthless.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:25 PM

28,109 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Atlanta isn't a place you'd want to move to if you don't have a job. That's especially true if you have a small child. The job market here is extremely tight and this part of the country doesn't offer a lot of freebie social services.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:55 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,787,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylulu21 View Post
If you were only going to be negative I'd rather if you had just kept your comment to yourself really. I really only need safe areas to live in, not help with anything else. The opinion of a complete stranger about my seriousness on relocating is meager, but thank you.
To give an example, North Fulton meets all your criteria. But, if you were to find work in the downtown area, you would be looking at an hour commute each way, sometimes longer. If you plan on working, it really is that important to figure out where before settling on a residence. Your commute can be a breeze, or painful, based on the locations.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:40 PM

75 posts, read 155,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylulu21 View Post
Ok. Safe area for a mother. Any budget. You could be working anywhere from Gainesville to Griffin. Or not working at all. Again, ANY budget?

Yep, definitely enough to help you out there.

Look, get a better plan together and there is no question that you will get the information you need here, but you have to do your part too.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:34 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,653,694 times
The any budget thing is why I posted the 2mil condo. Be more specific with that. The best answer we can give you with that is anywhere you want. "I'd prefer if the area isn't so "urban" if you know what I mean" What do you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or