U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 09:49 PM

402 posts, read 569,882 times

Advertisements

First watch this. The location. And you wonder why Five Points is bad?

Video 2. Video 3. His interview.

Finally his facebook page that provides mugshots, etc.

How embarrassing? I almost didn't post this, but the truth of what it's like in the area must be exposed in order for it to be fixed. These videos explain why no one wants to live, open a business, or go downtown. Would you feel comfortable in this area alone? So, WHY does the City of Atlanta allow this to happen???????? This location is two blocks away from City Hall and the State Capitol... And you wonder why no one from outside of Atlanta walks away with a good impression of this city... This is one man vs an army of thugs, and he's winning, at least for now. At times I think that the city should start a counterinsurgency campaign like we did in Iraq. If you are not familiar with it read this.

Downtown Atlanta South of Marietta St must be cleaned up for the city to come full circle and shed it's poor image. It doesn't matter that Midtown, Virginia Highland, and Buckhead are extremely nice. If downtown is trashy, the city will never outgrow the image that its a mecca for the thug life. The only way to clean it up is to have a 24/7 police presence, similar to our soldiers 24/7 presence being embedded with Iraqi troops throughout Baghdad and elsewhere. For the long term. Not a 3 month campaign. A 10 year campaign. See this chart if you don't think it work. We all remember how bad it was, the Petraeus COIN strategy can also be used in Atlanta I believe.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:14 PM

368 posts, read 415,759 times
First watch this. The location. And you wonder why Buckhead is bad?

Video 2. Video 3. Interview with two women.

Finally the page that provides crime reports, mugshots, etc.

How embarrassing? I almost didn't post this, but the truth of what it's like in the area must be exposed in order for it to be fixed. These videos explain why no one wants to live, open a business, or go to Buckhead. Would you feel comfortable in this area alone? So, WHY does the City of Atlanta allow this to happen???????? This location is two blocks away from Lenox Square and the Phipps Plaza... And you wonder why no one from outside of Atlanta walks away with a good impression of this city... This is an army of thugs. At times I think that the city should start a counterinsurgency campaign like we did in Iraq. If you are not familiar with it read this.

Buckhead must be cleaned up for the city to come full circle and shed it's poor image. It doesn't matter that Midtown, Virginia Highland, and Downtown are extremely nice. If Buckhead is trashy, the city will never outgrow the image that its a mecca for the thug life. The only way to clean it up is to have a 24/7 police presence, similar to our soldiers 24/7 presence being embedded with Iraqi troops throughout Baghdad and elsewhere. For the long term. Not a 3 month campaign. A 10 year campaign. See this chart if you don't think it work. We all remember how bad it was, the Petraeus COIN strategy can also be used in Atlanta I believe.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 PM

Naivety my friend, naivety .

Last edited by Nanosolar; 02-01-2013 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: Auto correct.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,614,770 times
I told you. Atlanta is ghetto. I'm surprised it's not a bad as Chicago's Southside. I never go south of Marietta St. unless I'm going to the Five points station. There really isn't any reason to. All the shops down there are for lower income people and non-name brand stuff.

Just go six blocks north of that area and you're in a very nice, urban part of the downtown area where you see all of the business people and tourists. It amazes me that the cut off of ghettoness is right there on Marietta St. I don't even think Woodruff park is anywhere near as bad as that area.

Why else do people take their businesses to Midtown? You don't see hoards of hoodrats congregating and loitering in one area for hours and hours and hours doing nothing but probably selling drugs. We basically have our own Vine City right in downtown.

My theory for why it's this way is because Five points station. The station connects hoods from the east, west, and south. That's just a recipe for disaster. I think once they build the Multi modal terminal, things will change. That will be the catalyst for development in the area. Until then, we have to put up with the ghettoness that is Five points south.

As long as they stay OUT of the GSU area and Northern Downtown, I'm fine. It's once they cross this boundary, problems will arise.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 PM

368 posts, read 415,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
Nativity my friend, nativity .

Old 02-01-2013, 11:01 PM

As of this posting, people throughout the country have raised over $18,000 for him. And he will be receiving free gear from Taser. Finally, he's already being meme'ed (can I do do that with the word meme?) across the internet.

Quite frankly, if you don't see the problem in this area, you're blind. The rest of the country see's what's going on here. The city must solve this before this man becomes a martyr.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 PM

4,730 posts, read 3,251,774 times
Reminds me of Underground. I avoid that area like the plague...

Old 02-01-2013, 11:11 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,627,794 times
Variations of this topic have been discussed before. Search for other active threads to add to rather than create another one on a topic that has been discussed. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta