Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 06:31 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
So, GA doesn't have teachers unions. We are a right to work state and that includes education.

Second, many of Gates' initiatives thus far have not been very successful. The research on them shows mixed results, especially as they relate to the small learning communities models in high schools.

I think this initiative sounds good. However, the real key to improving educational outcomes have to do with solving the myriad issues related to multi-generational poverty and non-English speaking children whose families aren't in a hurry to assimilate.
I agree the main foundation for successful Education will always be the Family influence. Hopefully Gates will be successful with his plans out of Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 05:20 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
I think that the best contribution Bill Gates can provide in the area of public education is lobbying federal and state governments(especially southern and red states) to realize that public education is actually a necessity for an orderly and well-functioning society.

Because as of right now, this country seems intent to be well on the course to becoming the "Somalia" of western industrial nations in all quality-of-life indicators, education included.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:34 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I think that the best contribution Bill Gates can provide in the area of public education is lobbying federal and state governments(especially southern and red states) to realize that public education is actually a necessity for an orderly and well-functioning society.

Because as of right now, this country seems intent to be well on the course to becoming the "Somalia" of western industrial nations in all quality-of-life indicators, education included.
I really don't think a lack of lobbying is the problem. There are very large organizations that do that incessantly. I've listened to "decline in education" refrain for decades and I've lost faith that government will solve it. Our society has an anti-intellectual bent where we favor athletes or entertainers over academia.

It comes down to the individual and his or her attitude and desire to learn. Learning is an active not a passive process. You can only do so much if the student is not self-motivated. Computers are useful tools but the student has to be engaged and not become an observer.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:43 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:

Brilliant post.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I really don't think a lack of lobbying is the problem. There are very large organizations that do that incessantly. I've listened to "decline in education" refrain for decades and I've lost faith that government will solve it. Our society has an anti-intellectual bent where we favor athletes or entertainers over academia.
You live in the south as do I.

This region from the get-go was never really dedicated to the egalitarian notion of education for everyone. It's practically baked and encoded in the DNA of southern learning.

So Georgia's government from the inception of public education never had the wherewithal to even attempt to provide a decent education system for everyone. A classic case of being set-up to fail, I would say.

Not that I expect you to acknowledge this truth anyways.

But there are places out there in this country that have gotten it right. But people here often don't listen, elect politicians that don't want to listen, and subscribe to a media power structure that all but ensures that there is no proper venue where true education reform ideas will be listen to in the first place.

Quote:
It comes down to the individual and his or her attitude and desire to learn. Learning is an active not a passive process. You can only do so much if the student is not self-motivated. Computers are useful tools but the student has to be engaged and not become an observer.
Everyone doesn't learn the same way. Some people learn more by seeing. Some people learn more by doing. Some people learn more by hearing. And there are some who learn through a combination of all of the above to varying degrees.

Our state needs to stop forcing everyone to abide by the same curriculum. Most other advanced western nations have gotten it right.

Our country is the only oddball western industrial nation who seems attracted to the parochial Somalia method; where only the well-heeled and connected gets access to the best education.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 02-03-2013 at 09:27 PM..

Old 02-03-2013, 09:23 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
I've noticed that attitude down here a lot more than I did in the area where I grew up, and I don't understand it at all.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:32 AM

630 posts, read 1,265,105 times
education is a right, and every student has the potential to be successful if they are given the proper tools. The mentality around here seems to be a sink or swim attitude, and while I subscribe to that view in many areas of life, we tend to let too many students sink when we haven't given them the right tools to learn how to swim. Sorry for all the metaphors.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:08 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,146 times
Quote:
You live in the south as do I.

This region from the get-go was never really dedicated to the egalitarian notion of education for everyone. It's practically baked and encoded in the DNA of southern learning.

So Georgia's government from the inception of public education never had the wherewithal to even attempt to provide a decent education system for everyone. A classic case of being set-up to fail, I would say.

Not that I expect you to acknowledge this truth anyways.

But there are places out there in this country that have gotten it right. But people here often don't listen, elect politicians that don't want to listen, and subscribe to a media power structure that all but ensures that there is no proper venue where true education reform ideas will be listen to in the first place.

Everyone doesn't learn the same way. Some people learn more by seeing. Some people learn more by doing. Some people learn more by hearing. And there are some who learn through a combination of all of the above to varying degrees.

Our state needs to stop forcing everyone to abide by the same curriculum. Most other advanced western nations have gotten it right.

Our country is the only oddball western industrial nation who seems attracted to the parochial Somalia method; where only the well-heeled and connected gets access to the best education.
Oh please we pour money into our economically disadvantaged schools and still get the same horrible results. Why do you think the mill rate is so much higher in the city vs. the exurbs? And in the city the wealthy do not use they schools except in a few neighborhoods.

I guess now you will claim education is racist.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:57 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times
Education have no choice, but to change. Good jobs are requiring higher levels of math and science, accounting is moving to international standards. Teaching that is just left brain and logic is boring. Americans must get into more right brain creative learning, and explore higher levels of learning science and math.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:59 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarrior View Post
education have no choice, but to change.
The irony. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: