U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2013, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,895 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Reputation: 12542

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germansoldiers View Post
Sigh. Yes I should be banned/ignored for speaking my mind.

How intolerant you all are. Listen to yourselves. What happened to free speech?

As a former Atlanta resident I am thrilled to be out of there. I offered my opinion to the original poster, who is considering leaving DC, the wealthiest, most educated metro region of America, for Atlanta, the poster child of sprawl and an example that other cities should never emulate.

Thanks for making my case for me.
You have no problem speaking your mind. What you seem to have a problem with is being challenged. And I hope the fact that you are being challenged again and again by sensible posters is a signal to the OP as to how much weight to give your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2013, 08:15 PM
 
7,113 posts, read 8,118,048 times
Reputation: 1772
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
"Diverse" is not the same as "homogeneous". Sorry.
I don't understand your point. We seem to be in complete agreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 21,892,927 times
Reputation: 3848
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I don't understand your point. We seem to be in complete agreement.
It all depends on how you meant what you said. If you implied that you cannot have an identity in a diverse society, then I disagree. Individuals and groups can each maintain their identities even in a diverse group.

If you were simply stating that having no identity was an option, then I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 09:12 PM
 
1,584 posts, read 1,653,989 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You have no problem speaking your mind. What you seem to have a problem with is being challenged. And I hope the fact that you are being challenged again and again by sensible posters is a signal to the OP as to how much weight to give your posts.
I smiled when I saw that you called me sensible. That whole free speech thing reminded of the conservative response to the chick-fil-a thing. When they had the nerve to say that protesters were oppressing the freedom of speech and religion of Dan Cathy. It is a whiny and pathetic tactic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 21,892,927 times
Reputation: 3848
Quote:
Originally Posted by germansoldiers View Post
Sigh. Yes I should be banned/ignored for speaking my mind.

How intolerant you all are. Listen to yourselves. What happened to free speech?

As a former Atlanta resident I am thrilled to be out of there. I offered my opinion to the original poster, who is considering leaving DC, the wealthiest, most educated metro region of America, for Atlanta, the poster child of sprawl and an example that other cities should never emulate.

Thanks for making my case for me.
The concept of free speech doesn't mean we have to take your statements at face value without questioning their veracity, especially when they fly in the face of our own firsthand experience with the area.

Atlanta has many negative qualities, but also many positive qualities. Were it not for the circumstances of my employment, I would never have considered moving to the Atlanta metro. Now that I have, and lives here for eight years, I've found that this area has exceeded my expectations in most categories.

Go ahead and speak your mind. Just don't expect instant agreement wherever you post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Historic West End
3,947 posts, read 3,251,184 times
Reputation: 3764
Quote:
Originally Posted by junimar View Post
As a former Atlantan (and former D.C. resident), here's my take.

On diversity and race relations: The City of Washington is 51% black, 38.5% white, 9% latino and 3% Asian. The City of Atlanta is 54% black, 38.4% white, 5% hispanic and 3% Asian. Suffice it to say, the cities themselves are pretty similar in terms of diversity. (I doubt there is an American city that closer to D.C. in terms of racial makeup.) Indeed, 31% of businesses in the Atlanta area are black-owned, compared to 28% of those in D.C. A larger percentage of blacks in Atlanta have college degrees than any American city, including D.C., but I doubt this is a plus or a minus for you.

As for the suburbs, Prince George's and DeKalb have some similarities-- as one poster implied. Both have a large black middle class. Both have a large black poor population. The similarities really end there though. P.G. county is 64% black, 19% white, 15% Latino and 4% Asian. Dekalb is 54% black, 35% white, 4% Asian and 10% Latino.

Cobb County, to Atlanta's west, is 54% white, 29% black, 11% Hispanic and 4% Asian. It's fair to say that Gwinnett is the most diverse county in the Atlanta area. According to Wikipedia: "44.0% non-Hispanic white, 23.6% black, 20% hispanic, 2.7% Korean, 2.6% Asian Indian, 2.0% Vietnamese, 3.3% other Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 8.8% some other race (0.3% non-Hispanic of some other race) and 3.1% from two or more races." I am unaware of any county in the metro D.C. that has that type of diversity, though I could be wrong.

Outdoors: When you visit, take a stroll on the Beltline and you'll see folks of all types enjoying art, biking, skateboarding and enjoying a beautiful (imperfect) city. In particular, because you like the outdoors, I'd start at Piedmont Park, and take the Beltline Trail to Old Fourth Ward Park and the Skate Park. If you're here for a week, take a drive up to the mountains or Lake Lanier.

On traffic: If you live in the intown neighborhoods, traffic is not a major issue. If you live in the suburbs, D.C. and Atlanta both have terrible traffic. One notable difference, of course, is that D.C. has great commuter rail. So if you insist on the suburbs, I'd consider living close to a MARTA station. This limits your options to North Fulton (i.e., Alpharetta) and a few places in DeKalb like Decatur. That of course, takes away from the point about Gwinnett's diversity. Yes it's diverse, but it doesn't have commuter rail. I'd note that Alpharetta, which is 15% Asian, does have train access.

On cities worth visiting: Fair point. Atlanta is not driving distance to world class cities like NYC or Boston. But of course, it is driving distance to small, quaint cities culture worth exploring: Nashville, Savannah, and New Orleans. And of course, the Airport will get you anywhere you want on a direct flight.

Local government: Far from perfect, but not as bad as D.C. Kasim Reed is immensely popular, far more so than Vincent Gray in D.C. Unlike Gray, Reed does not govern under threat of indictment.

Hope that helps. I happen to love D.C. and love Atlanta. Having lived both places, they are different, but not terribly different on the metrics you stated as important. (Where they differ in meaningful ways: (1) public transit/density; (2) affordability (3) political autonomy from red state). But my advice is to visit. There are people who love Atlanta and people who don't. I personally think Atlanta's strengths are its intown neighborhoods: Inman, Candler, Midtown, Virginia-Highland, Ponce-Highland, West Midtown. But even that is controversial on this board, as some people love their suburbs.
Wow your post hits on every point. Great analysis, and very well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 10:04 PM
 
7,687 posts, read 9,530,024 times
Reputation: 5657
Quote:
and the racial tension here in Atlanta was a complete culture shock to me when I moved down here.
I'm really surprised by this. Can you describe in detail the racial tensions you are talking about? I haven't really seen many.

Quote:
People are relatively well integrated up there because they have to be, really, unless they're a member of a newer immigrant group like the Hmong or Somali populations up there. Down here, everyone seems to like drawing lines in the sand and pointing fingers at the past. It's such a different attitude...
I used to think there were no "all white" areas of metro Atlanta, because I have certainly never lived in one. When I looked at the census map, I did see there are very small pockets of East Cobb that have white population percentages in the 90s....but that's it (I didn't know because Cobb is the county I am least familiar with).

Despite those little pockets, I find Atlanta to be incredibly integrated. There are some places that seem to be close to 100% black, but aside from those little areas in Cobb, I can't think of any other are that is almost all white. From Buckhead to Smyrna to Alpharetta to Kirkwood, you're bound to see whites and blacks together pretty much everywhere you go. Maybe there are a few exceptions, like I noticed there weren't many blacks at Music Midtown or the Christmas light display at the botanical gardens....but that is preferntial by activity, not geographic. There are certainly plenty of black in midtown.

So if you think people aren't integrated down here, I have to ask, where do you live? Where do you hang out? What people do you think you don't see any of? Maybe it's because most of my time in Atlanta has been intown and Gwinnett county, but I pretty much see white, black, Asian, and Hispanic people everywhere I go whether I'm buying groceries at Publix, going to the movies, or filling up at QT. In fact, I can't think of any place I have ever seen that is more integrate, with the possible exception of certain parts of Florida.....but even down there, it's mostly just white and Hispanic, not so much black, Asian, middle Eastern, etc. like we have here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2013, 10:18 PM
 
1,197 posts, read 3,356,971 times
Reputation: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Don't move.
If I am right, ja1myn moved to ATL from NYC several months back. He used to not have negative statements in the past. In fact quite positive comments.

ja1myn, can you give us your feedback after the months you have been here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 02:41 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,052 posts, read 1,308,099 times
Reputation: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by germansoldiers View Post
Rule number 1. Beware of any place that is inexpensive. DC and the other "expensive" cities are costly for very good reasons.
Beware of Brooklyn because it is cheaper than Manhattan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by germansoldiers View Post
Rule number 2. Beware of any majority Republican-run states like Georgia. Education falls by the wayside. Religion is pushed into public policy. Research some of the senators and congressmen of Georgia to see some of their wacky beliefs. Do you want people like that coming up with your laws?
Very few states have a HOPE system like Georgia. Yeah, Cynthia McKinney and Hank Johnson are pretty out there... oh yeah they are Democrats!

Look at how great the liberal paradise of California is doing. Bankrupt cities, schools in disrepair, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germansoldiers View Post
Rule number 3. Look at the housing markets. Why did Atlanta's values plunge to such low levels (the second worst real estate market in America) and recover so slowly? There are a number of reasons that are different than other markets. Racism and the duping of the AA population by adjustable rate mortgages is the biggest culprit. Do you want to invest in such a real estate market and lose your shirt? Fairfax is like Fulton County and all the other Atlanta counties are like Prince George's. All of them.
I guess it was black people being racist against blacks? Because most mortgage brokers in black areas were black themselves.


Kind of funny the Black Mecca is in a Republican state. Why is it not Chicago?

Fairfax is in a Republican ran state and Prince George's is in a Democrat ran state.... I guess you forgot that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by germansoldiers View Post
Listen to the arguments on this board back and forth about high crime, racism, religion, anti-taxation, anti-mass transit. Then glance at other forums and see if the drama levels even approach the discord in the Atlanta forums. Hint: they don't. And that's a testament to Atlanta's dysfunction.
I guess you like drama?

Quote:
Originally Posted by germansoldiers View Post
You can contact me for more details. But do not make a mistake and be lured to Atlanta by its being "cheap", especially if you value all the incredible things the DC area offers you. I have friends there and take the train down from New York on weekends. DC's densification, urbanization and incredible growth are light years ahead of anything Atlanta is doing.
A lot of great things DC has are paid by the whole USA, it is a bit different than Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 02:49 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,052 posts, read 1,308,099 times
Reputation: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Because some urban areas of the midwest actually DO have good race relations.

Some of the older larger cities like Chicago, Detroit, and St. Louis might not, but areas like the Twin Cities most certainly do, and the racial tension here in Atlanta was a complete culture shock to me when I moved down here.

People are relatively well integrated up there because they have to be, really, unless they're a member of a newer immigrant group like the Hmong or Somali populations up there. Down here, everyone seems to like drawing lines in the sand and pointing fingers at the past. It's such a different attitude...
You do realize St. Paul is almost 70% white and Minneapolis is almost 65% white.

And the population of Minneapolis has decreased by about 150k from its high days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top