U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 12:28 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,922,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Race is still very much an issue in Atlanta. It permeates our politics at the macro and micro level.
I've found, in most everyday interactions, that race isn't really an issue in the Atlanta metro, but it certainly seems to raise its head when some people (maybe "a few people" is more appropriate) talk about politics, education, or transportation. Mainly the first two subjects, again in my experience.

Then again, I'm a white middle-class male, so there could be a lot going on that I probably wouldn't be exposed to.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 09:40 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,880,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I've found, in most everyday interactions, that race isn't really an issue in the Atlanta metro, but it certainly seems to raise its head when some people (maybe "a few people" is more appropriate) talk about politics, education, or transportation. Mainly the first two subjects, again in my experience.

Then again, I'm a white middle-class male, so there could be a lot going on that I probably wouldn't be exposed to.
Politics are the factor of this discord everywhere among whites and blacks.Unless blacks are a significant minority then they will be less open voicing political dissension.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:49 PM

27,802 posts, read 24,861,975 times
Race is a pretty significant undercurrent in much of the political discourse in metro Atlanta. I won't get into the reasons behind that.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:56 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,880,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Race is a pretty significant undercurrent in much of the political discourse in metro Atlanta. I won't get into the reasons behind that.
It maybe discussed more here but I don't see where that becomes problematic.I see it discussed less in other cities and the outcomes are more evident and relevant in day to day life.

I dont see it as no more problem than any other major city.Miami.Dallas,Chicago,,LA etc...

Old 06-27-2015, 07:42 PM

25 posts, read 19,248 times
Just a quick update on my post. I took a break from City Data for a while so I'm not sure where I left this post. I did take a trip to ATL to interview for the position. As it turned out, not because of the city or anything related to this post, the job wasn't for me.

It was a very quick day trip so all I saw was the airport and the job site so I can't comment on anything I saw except for all the people I came in contact with while I was there were very nice.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:28 AM

439 posts, read 697,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germansoldiers View Post
Rule number 1. Beware of any place that is inexpensive. DC and the other "expensive" cities are costly for very good reasons.

Rule number 2. Beware of any majority Republican-run states like Georgia. Education falls by the wayside. Religion is pushed into public policy. Research some of the senators and congressmen of Georgia to see some of their wacky beliefs. Do you want people like that coming up with your laws?

Rule number 3. Look at the housing markets. Why did Atlanta's values plunge to such low levels (the second worst real estate market in America) and recover so slowly? There are a number of reasons that are different than other markets. Racism and the duping of the AA population by adjustable rate mortgages is the biggest culprit. Do you want to invest in such a real estate market and lose your shirt? Fairfax is like Fulton County and all the other Atlanta counties are like Prince George's. All of them.

Listen to the arguments on this board back and forth about high crime, racism, religion, anti-taxation, anti-mass transit. Then glance at other forums and see if the drama levels even approach the discord in the Atlanta forums. Hint: they don't. And that's a testament to Atlanta's dysfunction.

You can contact me for more details. But do not make a mistake and be lured to Atlanta by its being "cheap", especially if you value all the incredible things the DC area offers you. I have friends there and take the train down from New York on weekends. DC's densification, urbanization and incredible growth are light years ahead of anything Atlanta is doing.
The best post on Atlanta I have read in a long time. Congrats to you.

Why do you think Fairfax is like Fulton? I hate comparisons, especially with Atlanta but I would think Fairfaix is more like Cobb County?

Old 06-28-2015, 10:34 AM

6,612 posts, read 6,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
The best post on Atlanta I have read in a long time. Congrats to you.

Why do you think Fairfax is like Fulton? I hate comparisons, especially with Atlanta but I would think Fairfaix is more like Cobb County?
Shocking! You might as well leave out "comparisons, especially with" and just say I hate Atlanta. It's obvious you have some sort of childish vendetta because you always show up for the negatives around these threads. Either that or you have nothing better to do.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:42 PM

439 posts, read 697,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Shocking! You might as well leave out "comparisons, especially with" and just say I hate Atlanta. It's obvious you have some sort of childish vendetta because you always show up for the negatives around these threads. Either that or you have nothing better to do.
Do you have nothing to do but to post on this forum at all times of day and night and come to the Atlanta rescue booster squad every time your 'perspective' is challenged? I say what I want to and how I want to. Do you even know what a vendetta is? If you have nothing to state that has to do with the topic keep your pre-conceived notions to yourself. I asked you no questions.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:05 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,556,380 times
Quote:
Do you have nothing to do but to post on this forum at all times of day and night and come to the Atlanta rescue booster squad every time your 'perspective' is challenged? I say what I want to and how I want to. Do you even know what a vendetta is? If you have nothing to state that has to do with the topic keep your pre-conceived notions to yourself. I asked you no questions.
LOL you are ridiculous. I live here...I don't lurk around some other city's threads waiting for an opportunity to show my immaturity and ignorance.

I don't need to be asked a question by you in order to respond to your foolishness. Keep making inane comments and you'll keep getting the same thrown back in your face. I seriously doubt there is a more despised member that posts in the Atlanta threads. You're #1!

Old 06-28-2015, 02:05 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,540,024 times
Quote:
You live in Phoenix. You have no right to give an opinion on Atlanta because you live in Phoenix. It's 200 degrees there, no real transportation, horrible nightlife, boring entertainment, boring festivals, low annual tourist numbers, etc. I see why you are so mad! I would be too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta