U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 AM

12,974 posts, read 21,083,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMommy07 View Post
Aries - I think your right. We are going to look more into Newnan. After looking at google maps, I see Douglasville could also be a possibility. Any opinions on that area?

In the Douglasville Area, look at homes/neighborhoods in the Alexander High School Cluster.

The Chapel Hill High School Cluster could also be a possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 11:25 AM

12,974 posts, read 21,083,337 times
Quote:
Aries - I think your right. We are going to look more into Newnan...

And don't worry--Coweta County Schools are good!

Old 02-05-2013, 12:33 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,995,412 times
OP, what does "conservative Christian" mean? Just wondering how religion plays into this. Guys, in the Atlanta metro, are some areas known for having conservative Christians as opposed to regular Christians? If so, I had no idea. Of course, I also don't ask my neighbors their religion so this would never get on my radar.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:19 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,956,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
OP, what does "conservative Christian" mean? Just wondering how religion plays into this. Guys, in the Atlanta metro, are some areas known for having conservative Christians as opposed to regular Christians? If so, I had no idea. Of course, I also don't ask my neighbors their religion so this would never get on my radar.
Southern Baptists tend to be somewhat on the conservative side, at least in my experience, and this area is full of them. That said, I've never had any issues with anyone in Atlanta when it comes to religion.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:57 AM

48 posts, read 89,636 times
I'll begin by saying I'm a bit biased as I live in Newnan. However, that was the decision I made about 4 years ago after looking around the area. I'm a native New Yorker, lived in florida, and work in Peachtree City. I have friends all over the metro area, but Newnan remains one of my favorite areas. I'll stick with what I know:

First and foremost, it is in the least congestes quadrant of the metro area (southwest) with easy access to the airport and the city (25 mins to the airport, 45 minutes to midtown). A drive to College Point is a breeze and would almost never be congested. All the big box retailers are in Newnan in addition to a great outdoor shopping mall (Ashley Park) that allows for outdoor strolls. Newnan's greatest asset though is its downtown and historical districts. The historical courthouse on the main square with shops, restaurants, churches, and beautiful homes are what really set this city apart. Newnan has a "sense of place" that a lot of other suburban cities seem to lack. Combined with all of the other big box retailer options, it really does have everything right here at home. The schools in Coweta are pretty good, though Peachtree City's are better and as you know more expensive to get to.

For the outdoors, Georgia's newest state park (Chattahoochie Bend State Park) has some great trails and access to the river to go kayaking. Also, just down the road (about 30 minutes) is big West Point Lake to enjoy during the summers. Within the last year, 2 brand new hospitals were built (Piedmont-Newnan and Cancer Treatment Centers of America's Southeast regional) which has created a surge in healthcare offerings coming to the area.

As a northerner I've always felt very at home in this southern town. It's conservative, but continues to promote growth so it never feels stale. Good luck in your search and feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Rich

Old 02-08-2013, 06:40 AM

82 posts, read 103,803 times
I grew up in the Newnan-Peachtree City-Tyrone area, as a kid of New York parents, and it's a nice comfortable place to grow up. Newnan and Peachtree City offer places to go if you want restaurants/shopping/don't want to drag yourself all the way to Atlanta, places to take the kids, and the schools are mostly good. They were great in my area, and we were an emerging high school competing with long-standing upper-crust schools in only a few years. Surrounding districts tried to get their children into our district.

Newnan is constantly experiencing more growth, too, as someone said. Kennesaw I think has already seen that growth...? Seems more suburban, but I don't know.

Kennesaw to College Park is just a rather long commute, so Douglasville would be my alternate suggestion if you're not keen on Newnan. But I don't go to the Douglasville area much, so not sure what it's like living there.

I think all of these mentioned locations will be fine for a conservative Christian atmosphere.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:12 PM

113 posts, read 286,348 times
Thank you to everyone that commented, I truly appreciate it. We are definitely looking more into Newnan now. We would love to live in Woodstock closer to the mountains, but I also want to be able to see my husband. So, we will just have to take weekend trips up there. To the people that have lived in the Newnan area, does Newnan get a lot of Tornados? From what I read, it seems like the Woodstock area does, I'm hoping Newnan doesn't get as many? Also, do they have basements in Newnan?

We we're looking up new houses in Newnan and found Paran homes? Any idea how they are as a builder? Well we are really looking forward to moving up to GA this summer. We will be visiting in May to find a place to rent. Can't wait!!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:20 AM

48 posts, read 89,636 times
Quote:
Thank you to everyone that commented, I truly appreciate it. We are definitely looking more into Newnan now. We would love to live in Woodstock closer to the mountains, but I also want to be able to see my husband. So, we will just have to take weekend trips up there. To the people that have lived in the Newnan area, does Newnan get a lot of Tornados? From what I read, it seems like the Woodstock area does, I'm hoping Newnan doesn't get as many? Also, do they have basements in Newnan?

We we're looking up new houses in Newnan and found Paran homes? Any idea how they are as a builder? Well we are really looking forward to moving up to GA this summer. We will be visiting in May to find a place to rent. Can't wait!!
I think Newnan has the same likelihood of tornados as the rest of the Atlanta metro (relatively low) though the Cartersville area (north of Woodstock) has had a few bad ones in recent years. There are mountains about 40 minutes south of Newnan (Pine mountain) where Callaway Gardens is located. They're not as large, but still a nice retreat on weekends if you don't want to do the drive north through the city.

We do have basements down here, many in my neighborhood too - they're all over the place. Home construction has picked up in Newnan again in the past year, so you can actually find a bunch of builders again if you're looking for new builds. I don't have any experience with Paran Homes, so I can't help you there. A few of the subdivisions that stalled after the housing market tanked a few years ago are now building out again - so it's a good time to be in the market. Prices are considerably less than they were.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:22 AM

82 posts, read 103,803 times
I agree with INTENSS, I think the Woodstock area has just had some bad luck lately with tornadoes. We do get them every now and then, maybe once a year or so they have touched down around Newnan, so make sure you know what to do in a tornado situation. But it's not something that happens all the time.

And yes, plenty of houses have basements, but some don't.

I understand your disappointment because I love the mountains, too, but they are not so far.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:05 PM

3 posts, read 4,056 times
FL Mommy07,
This is my first post so I hope this works.
Did y'all ever move to Newnan?? My husband is considering a job in Newnan so I'm doing my research. Do you like it? We are a family of five with three small kids, and the kids well being and easy adjustment are my main concerns. I have lived in the same medium size FL town my whole life so a move is a bit nerve racking, to say the least. I also know that change is good...at least that's what they say, right??
If you have any input, I'd appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta