U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 02:51 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,071,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I posted this in another forum, but thought it might be relevant to your comment. These are the CycleAtlanta App paths that were analyzed at the GT Hack-a-thon. A lot of the choices for bike improvements around the city represent some of the most heavily used streets by bikes.
This is probably true. The way I see it is that increasing the bike infrastructure in areas where bike use is already fairly heavy will very likely result in even more bicycle use. I can't imagine these projects being anything other than a wild success. I don't know if one could say the same for lower income (SW/SE) and very wealthy (Buckhead) areas. But, it will be easier to use these projects as examples of success stories, which should make it easier to implement further expansion of the city's bike projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 11:36 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,241,306 times
Just trying to get an update on these bicycle projects. Now that the map has been released and the funding for the many bicycle projects throughout the city, does anybody know when construction on these lanes and cycle tracks will be started? Have any already been started? I was under the impression that these projects would be completed in 2013, but they would have to get moving on them if that is the goal. I saw some painted gas/water pipe marking lines on Peachtree Center where a cycle track is supposed to go, but I'm not sure if those are old or for this project. Can anybody offer any insight on this?

Old 03-06-2013, 02:46 PM

5,246 posts, read 4,289,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Just trying to get an update on these bicycle projects. Now that the map has been released and the funding for the many bicycle projects throughout the city, does anybody know when construction on these lanes and cycle tracks will be started? Have any already been started? I was under the impression that these projects would be completed in 2013, but they would have to get moving on them if that is the goal. I saw some painted gas/water pipe marking lines on Peachtree Center where a cycle track is supposed to go, but I'm not sure if those are old or for this project. Can anybody offer any insight on this?
If it's downtown, the work on Peachtree Center might be for the streetcar.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:23 PM

898 posts, read 732,899 times
If only something could be done about all these damn hills

Old 03-06-2013, 06:15 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,241,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
If it's downtown, the work on Peachtree Center might be for the streetcar.
I think the streetcar is going on Peachtree, but is connecting to the Peachtree Center station, which is on Peachtree....that's a confusing sentence The cycle track is going in on Peachtree Center so that cyclists can avoid being on Peachtree with the streetcar (I think I read this anyway). I hope some of this bicycle infrastructure that I thought was to be completed in 2013 gets started soon!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:27 PM

2,069 posts, read 3,504,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
once again a waste of money
Sure is. We should all just stay in our cars.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by araider08 View Post
if only something could be done about all these damn hills
Bulldoze 'em and anything on 'em!!

Old 03-07-2013, 06:50 PM

2,069 posts, read 3,504,622 times
This:

Dedicated Bike Lanes Can Cut Cycling Injuries in Half - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities

Briefly: separate infrastructure (bike lanes and cycle tracks) is significantly safer. Cyclists prefer separate infrastructure.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
This:

Dedicated Bike Lanes Can Cut Cycling Injuries in Half - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities

Briefly: separate infrastructure (bike lanes and cycle tracks) is significantly safer. Cyclists prefer separate infrastructure.
Absolutely. Because bike lanes prevent giant SUVs from being crushed by those tiny bicycles.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:23 PM

898 posts, read 732,899 times
Quote:
Bulldoze 'em and anything on 'em!!
I honestly feel like the hills are the BIGGEST barrier restricting more people from riding their bikes in Atlanta. I'm sure there are enough bicycle hobbyists, environmentalists or people sick of driving to merit the invest but dammit... If I have to peddle up Ponce ever...
It'd be awesome if there was a sort of hybrid electrical/peddle bike rental kiosk to serve Atlanta so as to quell the impact of hills and the extraneous labor some of them require. Electric bikes are relatively expensive though. Well, at least for a person who's still working his way out his childhood home.
Quote:
Absolutely. Because bike lanes prevent giant SUVs from being crushed by those tiny bicycles.
Atlanta drivers tend to ignore many policies/road signs that seek to improve transit safety. Fingers crossed though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or