Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 12:52 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,235,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
On a related note, I noticed this morning how many dedicated bike paths there are in N. Fulton, S. Forsyth and adjacent Gwinnett. Cycling is much safer and convenient in the 'burbs than in town.
Paths are nice, but if you have to use the roadway, the city is much safer and more convenient. In the suburbs, vehicle speeds tend to be a lot faster and distances between destinations are much farther. Suburban roads often have no sidewalks and sometimes not even a shoulder, so you can find yourself in a situation where there is nowhere for you to go if you need to get off the roadway and fix a flat tire or take a rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 11:02 AM

31,997 posts, read 36,597,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
For those that don't think a lot of people commute via biking, go look at all the bikes on Edgewood/Auburn ave or Hosea L. Williams Drive during rush hour.
cq, I gotta tell you, I have been actively looking for bikers lately, and that includes Edgewood/Auburn Avenue. I have seen very few and only a literal handful that are likely commuters. I'll look again.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:06 AM

10,737 posts, read 13,299,931 times
I saw the results of my sister-in-law's biking encounter with an automobile. Looking at her condition, I can only conclude that bicycles should stay off the streets unless there is a grade separated lane. Sorry. Please don't yell.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:08 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
cq, I gotta tell you, I have been actively looking for bikers lately, and that includes Edgewood/Auburn Avenue. I have seen very few and only a literal handful that are likely commuters. I'll look again.
Look at any bike rack in downtown. They're all overflowing, everyday, to the point that street signs and planters are used as overflow racks. There are a lot of cyclists out there whether you see them or not.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:38 AM

31,997 posts, read 36,597,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Look at any bike rack in downtown. They're all overflowing, everyday, to the point that street signs and planters are used as overflow racks. There are a lot of cyclists out there whether you see them or not.
They may well be there and I just didn't see them. I drove around downtown for an hour (4:30 to 5:30) and did see some bike racks but only saw 1 actual cyclist. The others were apparently coming and going at other times.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:43 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
They may well be there and I just didn't see them. I drove around downtown for an hour (4:30 to 5:30) and did see some bike racks but only saw 1 actual cyclist. The others were apparently coming and going at other times.
I always see at least four or five during the 5pm rush heading down Decatur Street away from Downtown. I'm hoping to start riding my bike to work soon, but the streetcar construction has made the roads pretty treacherous. My preferred route from when I used to ride last year is closed in at least two areas, so I don't know which way I'd go.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:54 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,826,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I saw the results of my sister-in-law's biking encounter with an automobile. Looking at her condition, I can only conclude that bicycles should stay off the streets unless there is a grade separated lane. Sorry. Please don't yell.
How many people do you know that have been involved in auto accidents? Shouldn't automobiles stay off the streets then? They are responsible for a lot more injuries and deaths than bicycles. And bicycles accidents often involve automobiles. If safety is your concern, the problem is not bikes, it is cars. But yes, I agree we need more grade separated lanes for bikes.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:04 PM

4,500 posts, read 5,010,804 times
As an out-of-Stater, I'd just like to say that I'm all for having as many Atlanta folks as possible riding a bicycle! I have to stop and change my underwear every time I drive through or around Atlanta. The last time I was there I wanted to exit and just as I started to move over, a truck decides the same thing so it was either abort the exit or do it from under a semi trailer. I'm not saying you guys drive reckless but you all are sure in a hurry to get somewhere.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:10 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,751,152 times
Quote:
You need to get out of your car and walk the streets.
Quote:
'm hoping to start riding my bike to work soon, but the streetcar construction has made the roads pretty treacherous. My preferred route from when I used to ride last year is closed in at least two areas, so I don't know which way I'd go.
New bike lanes are part of the construction. They will be in the opposite direction of the streetcar and on the opposite side of the street. Eg: Edgewood Ave will be westbound bike lanes and eastbound streetcar, while Auburn Ave will be eastbound bike lanes and westbound streetcar.
You could use Baker Street as an alternative, which leads directly into the Freedeom Pkwy trails or use Decatur/DeKalb.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:29 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post

New bike lanes are part of the construction. They will be in the opposite direction of the streetcar and on the opposite side of the street. Eg: Edgewood Ave will be westbound bike lanes and eastbound streetcar, while Auburn Ave will be eastbound bike lanes and westbound streetcar.
You could use Baker Street as an alternative, which leads directly into the Freedeom Pkwy trails or use Decatur/DeKalb.
That'll be good, but for the next eight months it's going to be all messed up.

I will not use Dekalb Ave under any circumstances, except maybe just to get from Krog to Airline St., which I can use to access Edgewood. My best route will probably be Krog --> Irwin (or maybe Dekalb to Airline) --> a combination of Auburn and Edgewood, with Auburn bringing me pretty close to the front door of my office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta