Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times

Advertisements

It was talked about last year, but there was a building moratorium in place to stop another gas station from being put in on Moreland. That has passed and now it looks like 125 to 145 apartments are coming to the Gordon School site in East Atlanta.

Development Moratorium Dies, Gordon School Project to Proceed - East Atlanta, GA Patch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 08:59 AM

139 posts, read 231,633 times
This could be a boon for the EAV. Restaurants and retail shops have had a tough go at it there recently. A captive audience couldn't hurt.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 AM

139 posts, read 231,633 times
Also, it seems that Paces Properties have their hearts in the right place when in comes to intown developments.

http://clatl.com/atlanta/david-cochr...nt?oid=7204890

Old 02-05-2013, 05:46 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
It can't do anything but help.

I remember when I first moved to Atlanta in 1996. I wanted to live intown, but every place I looked at totally lacked modern amenities. Back then, apartments that even had dishwashers in midtown or Little 5 Points were relatively unheard of. And if you wanted washer and dryer connections? Hahahaha! Forget it!

It's true that I was on a limited budget, but money didn't seem to matter. If you look at some of the legacy high rise condos in Buckhead, even they don't have washer/dryer connections in the units. It wasn't really until the late 90s/early 2000s when they finally started constructing buildings with these amenities, and maybe retrofitting the old ones, I don't know.

Maybe I'm a snob, but my attitude was I spent 4 years in college going and getting rolls of quarters and wasting time hauling clothes back and forth to the community laundry center, and I'm freaking done with that. And I'm not washing all of my plates and cups by hand.

I didn't move intown until 2001, when apartments with modern amenities were finally available (turns out the building I lived in was actually constructed in 1997, so I missed it by just a year).

I do think, though, that this is a huge mistake:

Quote:
Cochran says the firm isn't considering Olympic-sized swimming pools, jam-packed exercise rooms, or other incentives aimed at wooing tenants as part of the complex.
Most people are members of gyms, so you can probably get away without having an exercise room. But I wouldn't even consider living in an apartment complex that didn't have a swimming pool. If you want to attract a young affluent crowd, they are going to want a pool. Pretty much always. When I lived in Buckhead, even though I didn't use it that much, it was obvious that the pool was the major draw to my complex.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:21 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
It was talked about last year, but there was a building moratorium in place to stop another gas station from being put in on Moreland. That has passed and now it looks like 125 to 145 apartments are coming to the Gordon School site in East Atlanta.
That school is probably one of the last things left around here named after Gen. Gordon. I know he was controversial but he was one of Robert E. Lee's right hand men.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Great location for people looking to be within walking distance of a great entertainment district.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Great location for people looking to be within walking distance of a great entertainment district.
EAV has been a great entertainment district.

However, I sure hope it doesn't jump the tracks. This sort of activity reminds me of the way BV went off the rails back in the early 2000s. Good to see that APD is enforcing the alcohol code. (Who in the heck is drinking in a bar at 7:15 in the morning anyway?)

Police shut down E. Atlanta club | www.ajc.com

Last edited by arjay57; 06-13-2013 at 09:16 AM..

Old 06-13-2013, 09:12 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
As an update to this. The developer apparently officially closed on this property a couple weeks ago and we should start to see construction start soon.

Also Phase II of the East Atlanta Street-scaping project is well underway. It includes replacing the "Welcome to East Atlanta" sign, aligning McPherson at Moreland, and putting a mini-roundabout at the intersection of McPherson and Flat Shoals. And of course side walks and trees and such.

Last edited by jsvh; 06-13-2013 at 09:23 AM..

Old 07-03-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
EAV has been a great entertainment district.

However, I sure hope it doesn't jump the tracks. This sort of activity reminds me of the way BV went off the rails back in the early 2000s.
Another shooting incident in EAV this past Saturday night. As I say, I sure hope it doesn't go the way of Buckhead Village.

EAST ATLANTA — Atlanta police arrested a man early Saturday morning following a shooting incident on Flat Shoals and Glenwood avenues —in the heart of the East Atlanta Village.

No one was hit.

Sebastian Davis of Rock 100.5's the Regular Guys Show, captured a portion of the incident on the attached video.

It's the third gun incident in East Atlanta in the last two months. And it comes as police have stepped up patrols here and in other Southeast Atlanta neighborhoods following a rash of serious crime incidents.

More...Overnight Shooting Incident in East Atlanta Village - Police & Fire - East Atlanta, GA Patch

East Atlanta Shooting - Live Video - YouTube

Old 07-03-2013, 12:24 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
And this happened very nearby: Cops: Woman shot to death in Atlanta home invasion | www.ajc.com

My friends and I that hang out in EAV every week are considering a change of venue, at least until things settle down. APD can say all it wants, you still hardly ever see police in the area and I would say it doesn't feel that safe after dark anymore if you have to walk anywhere off of Flat Shoals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta