Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:59 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,523,294 times

Advertisements

So it looks like Turkey is planning to surpass Atlanta as host to the world's busiest airport.
World's biggest airport planned for Turkey | News.com.au

What do y'all think about this? I know holding to the title of having the world's busiest airport is certainly prestigious for Atlanta and the U.S., but would it really matter if we're not on top in that metric any more? I'm afraid that Atlanta and Federal politicians will see this as a good time to one-up Turkey, and will plan a massive, and needless expansion of Hartsfield. Airlines are starting to move away from the hub-based scheme in this country which is the primary function and traffic generation for Hartsfield. I just can't forsee a need for a greatly expanded Atlanta airport from a purely functional perspective at this time.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:11 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
So it looks like Turkey is planning to surpass Atlanta as host to the world's busiest airport.

What do y'all think about this? I know holding to the title of having the world's busiest airport is certainly prestigious for Atlanta and the U.S., but would it really matter if we're not on top in that metric any more? I'm afraid that Atlanta and Federal politicians will see this as a good time to one-up Turkey, and will plan a massive, and needless expansion of Hartsfield. Airlines are starting to move away from the hub-based scheme in this country which is the primary function and traffic generation for Hartsfield. I just can't forsee a need for a greatly expanded Atlanta airport from a purely functional perspective at this time.
These other airports are trying too hard in my opinion to surpass Hartsfield Jackson and that is what will cause their downfall. Hartsfield Jackson is a beast that has had decades of all the right people and pieces coming together to build it to its current status. Cities like Dubai and Beijing are investing billions of its countries funds to gain this title. After it is all said and done Hartsfield will still remain on top. The airport has the right combination of location, industry and infrastructure and the ability to stand high and mighty without much effort compared to other larger cities.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:34 PM

283 posts, read 360,448 times
I always thought it was by volume, not physical size. Although I didn't read the article, so maybe Turkey gets a lot of flights in/out? I didn't think Turkey was that critical of a hub though...

Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Quote:

You obviously missed this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...n-madness.html

Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,437,594 times
Quote:

Are you serious? The top Airlines in the the US and World have Hub systems. Also there are two or more reasons why Turkey want have the world busiest airport. One is Dubai and Emirates ambitions plan, and Beijing China which would be the only airport I see passing Atlanta, which is now doubtful because their new airport will have a 75 million passenger capacity along with the current airport.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:31 PM

11 posts, read 24,490 times
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but why would any airline direct flights to Istanbul when de Gaulle, Rome, and other airports are more convenient to flying to the Middle East and Los Angeles is more convenient when flying to the Far East?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Biggest and busiest aren't mutually exclusive, neither are plans and reality. For example, Denver Intl is the biggest airport in the country, but they have just half of the passenger traffic of Hartsfield. Our key is not so much size as it is location.

That's why I wouldn't read much in to Turkey's plans. I'm sure they want to snatch the title away from Hartsfield, but they'll have to get over the fact that air travel is not the preferred method of long distance travel in that part of the world (high speed train is). They would need to increase their passenger traffic by a factor of three to catch us. Good luck with that. LOL

Old 01-25-2013, 12:20 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimRichalds View Post
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but why would any airline direct flights to Istanbul when de Gaulle, Rome, and other airports are more convenient to flying to the Middle East and Los Angeles is more convenient when flying to the Far East?
I was curious too and looked this up. Turns out Istabul is ideally suited for a major airport hub such as this. It's the world's 2nd-largest city (13.5 million) and the ONLY one that straddles two continents -- Europe and Asia. The Bosphorus strait (which links the Black Sea to the Mediterranean) splits the city (and the continents). Turkey is the world's 15th largest economy and Istanbul is surprisingly modern and progressive, considering it dates to 600 BC. Tourism is huge there, especially since Turkey joined the EU. Though predominantly Muslim, Turkey is remarkably stable politically and fully embraces western culture. The quality of life is very high for that region of the world. Istanbul has always been the gateway between Europe and the Middle East, so in that respect a major airport makes sense. Also, it's shocking how many airlines and cities are served out of Istanbul. It's already the 6th busiest airport in Europe, after Heathrow, de Gaulle, Frankfort, Amsterdam and Madrid.

Istanbul Atatürk Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-25-2013, 01:53 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Turkey Is also building a High Speed Rail Network....whens Georgia going to build that?

Old 01-25-2013, 02:27 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Turkey Is also building a High Speed Rail Network....whens Georgia going to build that?
Turkey (which is little bigger than Texas) has 10 cities with a metropolitan population of 1 million or more people. Georgia has a single city over 1 million and the closes city of any real size (Charlotte) is 300 miles away, and after that closest big cities are Chicago (700 miles away), Miami (600 miles away) and DC (600 miles away). So basically, my question to you is why would you ask such a question given your propensity to boast about how your are an "expert" on transit? Why would Georgia need to build a "network" of high speed lines to nowhere (no offense Augusta, Savannah, Macon)? Basically you are just being off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta