U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-05-2013, 01:45 PM

14 posts, read 19,816 times
Default Experience at Milltown Lofts?

Hi, I am considering purchasing a loft at Milltown lofts located on Wylie Street in Cabbagetown.

I love the actual complex and unit, but what has me concerned is the crime and safety issues that have come up in my searches.

Can anyone who lives in this unit or surrounding comment on their experience? I read about a recent shooting happening at 97 Estoria about a block away, as well as numerous car jackings happening inside of the Milltown complex within the past year. Are there no complex installed security cameras for safety?

I understand that Cabbagetown is a transitional area and that some sense needs to be applied when living in the area, but do you feel crime and safety is improving? Is there a strong sense of neighborhood and community who are addressing these issues?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-05-2013, 02:03 PM

139 posts, read 69,101 times
Crime and safety are always relative. Where are you moving from?

I've lived in SE Atlanta for 14 years (all around Cabbagetown, but never actually in it - I do have a few good friends living there) - crime is always a possibility, but less probable if you are cognizant of potential threats and vigilant about not leaving yourself vulnerable.

All that being said, I love Cabbagetown, and, if felt compelled, would have no qualms moving there with my wife and two young kids because of crime.

Unread 02-05-2013, 02:15 PM

I would be moving from Marietta. I would say that I am fairly street smart and aware. I do spend alot of time in the city in/around edgewood and Inman park areas.

It just seems that there have been some random acts of crime, that I'm not sure one can do in those situations.

I would be commuting to/from work in dunwoody via Marta if I moved into Milltown. Some days require me to work later and come home when it's dark, but I was thinking I would bike to/from the Marta stations for added security.

My main reason for moving in town was the lifestyle of being able to walk to restaurants and bars or go biking and have that intown experience. I just wasn't sure if the area surrounding cabbagetown may be the best for this if safety is always a concern.

Unread 02-05-2013, 02:19 PM
JPD

7,182 posts, read 6,947,372 times
Milltown Lofts is actually in Reynoldstown, which is a bit more transitional than Cabbagetown. (Cabbagetown ends at Pearl Street.) There was a wave of car thefts in the Milltown complex last year. I haven't heard about any incidents there in several months, though. I am a regular reader of their extremely active Yahoo Group and definitely would have heard about any more incidents.

Cabbagetown and Reynoldstown both have very strong communities that work hard to keep crime as low as possible.

Unread 02-05-2013, 02:20 PM

Thanks for your input guys. Could you possible link me to this Yahoo group?

Unread 02-05-2013, 02:31 PM
JPD

Hopefully this link will work for you.

reynoldstown : Reynoldstown

Unread 02-05-2013, 02:31 PM

Thank you

Unread 02-05-2013, 02:51 PM

139 posts, read 69,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Milltown Lofts is actually in Reynoldstown
I had to check that - you're right. I guess I've always incorrectly considered NW Reynoldstown as part of Cabbagetown.

Unread 02-06-2013, 06:49 AM

Would you guys say that Cabbagetown and Reynoldstown are equally transitional or does it really depend which pocket you're in?

Unread 02-06-2013, 06:53 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwlin View Post
Would you guys say that Cabbagetown and Reynoldstown are equally transitional or does it really depend which pocket you're in?
No, Reynoldstown is more transitional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta