U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 04:18 PM

4,941 posts, read 3,990,125 times

Advertisements

Anyone who is skeptical of this should take a drive on the Ashford-Dunwoody diverging diamond. It is well-signed, clearly marked, and in practice not really that confusing at all. You hardly even notice the contraflow on the bridge; it just feels like a double weave going across.

More importantly, though, is what it's done to traffic around Perimeter Mall in the afternoons and evening. It used to be an absolute nightmare trying to get from there to 285 (and we're only talking a few blocks). Now it's nowhere near as bad, even right in the middle of rush hour.

That interchange is proof that--wait for it--the government can actually get it right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 07:33 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,375,674 times
Government can do well sometimes. But I certainly don't expect it

Glad to hear it makes a difference with the traffic. Drove through it once during non rush hour and it was an easy experience. If I didn't know what I was driving through I kind of wonder if I would have noticed it much if I was going straight on Ashford - Dunwoody.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:58 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,653,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Anyone who is skeptical of this should take a drive on the Ashford-Dunwoody diverging diamond. It is well-signed, clearly marked, and in practice not really that confusing at all. You hardly even notice the contraflow on the bridge; it just feels like a double weave going across.

More importantly, though, is what it's done to traffic around Perimeter Mall in the afternoons and evening. It used to be an absolute nightmare trying to get from there to 285 (and we're only talking a few blocks). Now it's nowhere near as bad, even right in the middle of rush hour.

That interchange is proof that--wait for it--the government can actually get it right!
I agree with you. The one at Ashford-Dunwoody is very easy to use. It felt very self explanatory. I wouldn't mind seeing a handful more of them. And roundabouts too.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:44 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Quote:
And roundabouts too.
These idiot drivers wouldn't know what to do with one?!

Old 02-07-2013, 07:58 AM

7,687 posts, read 9,530,024 times
I found this page that shows how the Pleasant Hill bridge is going to look. Not as dramatic as the Jimmy Carter bridge, but still better than most of the generic bridges.

I think it will look pretty cool at night.

Pleasant Hill Road Bridge

I'm not sure when this is going to be finished, but it's been under construction for a while, so I would guess by this summer.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:20 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Not very pedestrian friendly having to cross a road 4 times.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 AM

7,687 posts, read 9,530,024 times
What? Pleasant Hill Road not pedestrian friendly?

Oh nos, there goes the neighborhood!!!!!

LOL, this area isn't going to be pedestrian friendly any time soon.

But I think it's only crossing the road twice because the light at each cross should let you cross 2 consecutive times, the island is just there as part of the design.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:00 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,892,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
These idiot drivers wouldn't know what to do with one?!
Small ones are pretty simple. Larger multi-lane roundabouts can get more involved, especially since the rules used here in the US seem to be different from the rules I remember being used in the UK.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,255,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Not very pedestrian friendly having to cross a road 4 times.
Actually for 2 major intersections at a freeway junction it is VERY pedestrian friendly when you consider the previous conditions or other alternatives.

The major reason is pedestrians are given 50% of crossing time w/o conflicting points with cars.

It is one of the weird nuances of the design. It doesn't look friendly, albeit, but it lowers the conflict points were autos and cars cross paths.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:04 PM

858 posts, read 1,085,377 times
I must be thinking of a different Ashford Dunwoody, because the DDI I've been using is a disaster. The light timing is ridiculous. WTF is the point of one light turning green when the next one is red, and why are all four lanes in one direction allowed to go at the same time, creating a giant clusterf**k of people scrambling to change lanes all in the same spot? I've sat through several cycles without even moving, and people are constantly running the lights and blocking cross traffic. I've almost crashed into a couple people who just blew straight through red lights, obviously either confused or just impatient... because of the layout you can't see them coming until it's almost too late. There's an entire lane of the exit ramp dedicated to dumping you right back on the interstate, which of course everyone uses instead to cut into other lanes, causing even more chaos.

I haven't seen any improvement in congestion whatsoever--if anything it's gotten worse. That thing was a complete waste of money as far as I can tell. It's just a stupid trophy that the PCID can use to puff up and be all self-righteous about. They held the grand opening photo op before the construction was even done, and they've already showered themselves with awards despite the fact that there hasn't even been a traffic study confirming its effectiveness yet.

I agree that the interchange needed improvement, but I'm not drinking the DDI Kool-Aid just yet. I wouldn't get too excited if I were you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or