Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:06 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,977,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If Cobb was truly interested in public transit you would think they might have fielded a pro-transit candidate at some point in the last 40 years. Or at least insisted on.a referendum of some sort. However, the silence has been deafening.
That's because most of the interest I've seen about transit to/from Cobb has come from folks ITP. They want to go to Cobb, apparently, and not the other way around. Much of Cobb already has easy access to downtown and to the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 10:51 PM

492 posts, read 786,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I am getting sick of the opinions of most of you ITPers who look down your nose at people who can't afford to live in all the hot new job centers and have the opinion of "just move" rather than trying to improve the entire area. Divisiveness like this is why Georgia is last place in virtually everything!
Isn't it OTP people who consistently vote down any and all transit plans or marta expansions. Didn't you guys dig your own grave by not voting for transit or choosing no to let marta expand?

Old 02-06-2013, 11:37 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,521,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
That's because most of the interest I've seen about transit to/from Cobb has come from folks ITP. They want to go to Cobb, apparently, and not the other way around. Much of Cobb already has easy access to downtown and to the airport.
I misunderstood you, RC. I thought you were saying that the reason Cobb doesn't have rail is that the residents of were asked about it 40 years ago and haven't been asked since.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:13 AM

Quote:
I misunderstood you, RC. I thought you were saying that the reason Cobb doesn't have rail is that the residents of were asked about it 40 years ago and haven't been asked since.
That is also true, but I said it in reaction to the misguided assertion that Cobb residents have been rejecting rail for 40 years, which is not quite the actual situation.

I personally see value in rail to/from Cobb and even within Cobb from a metro-wide perspective, but as a Cobb resident it wouldn't really impact me one way or the other. I realize, however, that the metro is a lot larger than the county I happen to live in. I wish more people had the same attitude.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:49 AM

31,993 posts, read 36,521,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
That is also true, but I said it in reaction to the misguided assertion that Cobb residents have been rejecting rail for 40 years, which is not quite the actual situation.
Cobb residents (and of course we're talking generally, not every single person) may not have rejected rail for 40 years, but I haven't heard them clamoring for it.

Is there now a pro-rail movement in Cobb? Who's heading it up and when will they likely bring it to a vote?

Old 02-07-2013, 07:54 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,698,706 times
Quote:
The residents of Cobb were asked 40 years ago, and haven't really been asked once since then
A non-binding or binding vote must be put fore by the county commission. So blame the Cobb County Commission for not asking their constituents.
Quote:
Initially the first line would be from Cobb to Atlanta, but another line would be built across the top-end to Doraville. Doesn't make sense to build a line and connect to nothing? CCT and MARTA routes from Cumberland transfer station to Arts Center and Midtown are always full.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:41 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,904,169 times
Quote:
Well, that was me and maybe I am out of touch. It just seems like 20-40 miles is a mighty long way to live from where you work. I realize we're living in a time when a gallon of gas costs less than a gallon of water but eventually that ultra cheap energy will be gone. Then what?
You are not alone, Arjay. I have always lived in a central city. The idea of a 20 to 40 mile commute to me is worse than that of being water boarded. I really don't understand why anyone would do it or say they can't live in the city if that long of a commute bothers them. There are a lot of choices intown and the inner burbs that don't include life long servitude to a mortgage or being "stabbed in the middle of the night". LOL

Old 02-07-2013, 02:07 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,904,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
He lives in the exurb town of Conyers, they only have GRTA express service.
I do agree with Matt that Atlanta needs commuter rail, but the cities ahead of us also have a higher metro population.
Well not really. We have a higher metro population than Boston, basically the same as Houston and DC, and smaller by a million than San Francisco. I'm with you, I am not opposed to more transit and we sorely need it, but transit isn't the only answer.

Our saving grace is the good balance that our highway system creates. It's not too much, and it's not too little. Our main problem are the bottlenecks on the Connector and the junctions when the highways meet. Despite the low marks our transit system gets for some reason, it cannot be overstated how much having an extra 500,000 people off the roads each days helps us keep things relatively sane.

If we fix the bottlenecks, put in commuter rail, and build out the streetcar lines/Beltline plan we'll even lower on the list.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Cobb residents (and of course we're talking generally, not every single person) may not have rejected rail for 40 years, but I haven't heard them clamoring for it.
I do believe that's what I've been saying.

The only clamoring I've heard about "rail in Cobb" is from folks who don't live in Cobb but who somehow feel the need to disparage Cobb residents for not wanting rail. I get sick of hearing it over and over.

Yes, rail in Cobb would be nice, as rail would be in many parts of this metro, but the rail project(s) need to make sense first. I don't need rail at all. It would be nice, but it isn't a "need". If someone wants to see rail in Cobb, make a proposal that seems viable ... then we can address it.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
A non-binding or binding vote must be put fore by the county commission. So blame the Cobb County Commission for not asking their constituents.
Why blame anyone? There hasn't really been a need, so rail in Cobb hasn't happened. Not a big deal.

The Cobb County Commission generally doesn't address things unless they're seen as important to the county, and I'm not sure rail in Cobb fits that description. They have lots of other things to spend money on to improve life in Cobb like schools, the water system, roads, parks, etc.

As a future development and as something to help with metro-wide transit as a whole, a good case could probably be made for rail to Cumberland and perhaps also along the I-75 corridor and elsewhere, and in time that will probably happen, but the fact that it hasn't happened to this point should not be a surprise to anybody. It isn't anti-rail sentiment, it's simply a lack of interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta