U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Nope, Bankhead platform would be extended to [at least] 6 cars, the Green line would serve Bankhead, Ashby, Vine City, Dome, Five Points, Georgia state, then run express to Decatur, skip Avondale, then stop and Kensington and Indian Creek then serving all the new stations. I find it odd that they'd skip Avondale, particularly once the Clifton Corridor comes online, but I'd also have a hard time skipping Decatur. Kensington however they could probably skip.

Well, perhaps the neighborhoods wouldn't object to an elevated structure on top of I-20, but when you'd have to condemn properties to run alongside, you'd start running into problems. Not only do I imagine the property owners of the condemned properties objecting, but I'm sure someone would bring up "neighborhood character" or somesuch.

But just because they're taking the easier path for outside I-285 service, doesn't mean inside I-285 HRT service is off the chopping block yet. If MARTA were smart, they'd build Wesley Chapel Road as an island platform with enough room for a pocket track off the east side. Then you could run Blue line service off of Indian Creek, terminating at Wesley Chapel with through service direct from Stonecrest into Atlanta along I-20. You could even run service along the Blue line to Stonecrest in the morning and evening peak times for people needing to reach Decatur and such.
Grant Park, Glennwood Park, Summerhill, and East Atlanta would love to have rail-based transit.
How would express work if the Blue Line was stopped at Inman Park-Reyonldstown or Edgewood-Candler Park? Do you a link that I can read about the proposal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 AM

4,908 posts, read 3,705,971 times
Here's a link to the Locally Preferred Alternative document (bigish PDF) http://itsmarta.com/uploadedFiles/Ab...%20Summary.pdf
Some of what I'm saying though comes from the public meeting back in October so that document doesn't contain everything, but you can see the proposed service map in Chapter 1 I believe.
Without adding track, they would have to time the trains so that the trailing Green Line express catches up to the Blue Line train just after it's terminated at Indian Creek. There is precedent, as the Norristown High Speed Line near Philadelphia operates a two-track line with express service.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:27 AM

One thing I like about BRT, that is also mentioned in the article, is that if the ridership is there upgrading it to LRT is quicker and less expensive.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:39 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,375,674 times
Express service in Atlanta would be very cool. How would the stations with the alignment along I-20 work? Would they be in the middle of the interstate? If so, I would hope that they build parking lots and access on both sides of the highway to reduce congestion at the exits.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Express service in Atlanta would be very cool. How would the stations with the alignment along I-20 work? Would they be in the middle of the interstate? If so, I would hope that they build parking lots and access on both sides of the highway to reduce congestion at the exits.
Most likely will be minimal parking, no large surface parking lots to reduce the cost of stations.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:36 AM

9,907 posts, read 6,894,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Here's a link to the Locally Preferred Alternative document (bigish PDF) http://itsmarta.com/uploadedFiles/Ab...%20Summary.pdf
I have not seen those tier 2 alternatives before. HRT1 looks like an ideal long term solution. It would get a Heavy rail station to Turner field and support fast commutes to the suburbs. I think they should do it in two phases and do BRT along the entire route while they build up ridership then switch over to Heavy Rail as density builds up over the next decade or so. Plus if they end up redeveloping the turner field parking lots it would be great for games as heavy rail would handle the crowds much better than street cars.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I have not seen those tier 2 alternatives before. HRT1 looks like an ideal long term solution. It would get a Heavy rail station to Turner field and support fast commutes to the suburbs. I think they should do it in two phases and do BRT along the entire route while they build up ridership then switch over to Heavy Rail as density builds up over the next decade or so. Plus if they end up redeveloping the turner field parking lots it would be great for games as heavy rail would handle the crowds much better than street cars.
Can't switch from BRT to HRT, the infrastructure is different. BRT to LRT is possible because LRT weighs less than HRT.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Can't switch from BRT to HRT, the infrastructure is different. BRT to LRT is possible because LRT weighs less than HRT.
I can see that. I think you could do it if you planned ahead, aka build a HRT right of way without the tracks and run buses on it. I think the problem is just that Heavy rail is so expensive to run through developed areas. Maybe LRT does make more sense.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I can see that. I think you could do it if you planned ahead, aka build a HRT right of way without the tracks and run buses on it. I think the problem is just that Heavy rail is so expensive to run through developed areas. Maybe LRT does make more sense.
With enough cars, LRT can mimic HRT is dense areas. MARTA only reaches 35 mph in dense areas where the station spacing is <1 mile.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
With enough cars, LRT can mimic HRT is dense areas. MARTA only reaches 35 mph in dense areas where the station spacing is <1 mile.
True. And those cost estimates for HRT inside 285 do get pricey. As long as they can do LRT grade mostly (if not all) separated, especially around downtown and turner field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta