U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 02:21 PM

4,931 posts, read 3,743,102 times

Advertisements

I'll note that the Tier-2 alternatives have been settled and they're building HRT-3. That's pretty well set in stone at this point.
But doing a drop-in replacement of LRT for BRT wouldn't work on the I-20 plan. The BRT is proposed to run in HOV lanes. Street running of LRT trains works, but I know of no location that has street running on the highway. LRT would still require a separate, dedicated guideway which is one reason LRT for inside I-285 was also rejected. You still run into the same shoulder width reductions that HRT would. The underlying structure for LRT vs. HRT isn't very different. For I-20, once you've gone to all the hassle of the guideway, why not just run the heavier, longer, faster trains on top?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 02:27 PM

22,294 posts, read 16,331,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I'll note that the Tier-2 alternatives have been settled and they're building HRT-3. That's pretty well set in stone at this point.
But doing a drop-in replacement of LRT for BRT wouldn't work on the I-20 plan. The BRT is proposed to run in HOV lanes. Street running of LRT trains works, but I know of no location that has street running on the highway. LRT would still require a separate, dedicated guideway which is one reason LRT for inside I-285 was also rejected. You still run into the same shoulder width reductions that HRT would. The underlying structure for LRT vs. HRT isn't very different. For I-20, once you've gone to all the hassle of the guideway, why not just run the heavier, longer, faster trains on top?
If and when the I-20 inside the Perimeter has the demand for HRT, then fixed guideway can be built along I-20 or underground. Whne the Wesley Chapel Station is built, it would be smart to add switch and infrastructure for future HRT along I-20 to downtown.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:28 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,414,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Most likely will be minimal parking, no large surface parking lots to reduce the cost of stations.
Do they expect people to use the bus to get to the stations? I'm not very familiar with that part of town, put I don't recall those areas along I-20 as being very walkable. I would think the point of these stations is for them to be commuter stations. How do they plan on doing that with minimal parking?

Sorry if this has been discussed, new to this topic.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Do they expect people to use the bus to get to the stations? I'm not very familiar with that part of town, put I don't recall those areas along I-20 as being very walkable. I would think the point of these stations is for them to be commuter stations. How do they plan on doing that with minimal parking?

Sorry if this has been discussed, new to this topic.
The bus routes are heavily used in this area, also there is not much land for parking structures. People could ride bikes to the stations?

Old 02-07-2013, 02:34 PM

9,988 posts, read 6,980,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
The closer in areas such as Glenwood Park, East Atlanta Village, Grant Park are getting fairly walkable. I live just a couple blocks from a stop (near Glenwood Park) and would walk over to it for sure. But I assume buses would connect others too.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:52 PM

347 posts, read 333,366 times
Quote:
If MARTA were smart, they'd build Wesley Chapel Road as an island platform with enough room for a pocket track off the east side. Then you could run Blue line service off of Indian Creek, terminating at Wesley Chapel with through service direct from Stonecrest into Atlanta along I-20. You could even run service along the Blue line to Stonecrest in the morning and evening peak times for people needing to reach Decatur and such.
I completely agree with this. Now you'd have a kind of "express" rail into town and not have trains literally skipping stations along the current "East line."

Old 02-07-2013, 03:08 PM

9,988 posts, read 6,980,195 times
Quote:
Any word on funding and timeline to break ground?

Old 02-07-2013, 03:15 PM

4,931 posts, read 3,743,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Any word on funding and timeline to break ground?
They're currently doing the federal Environmental Review. Once this is done, they can apply for FTA grants and loans and such. As for time, minimum 7-10 years before start of service. They have to finish the EIR (18 months, started November 2012 I believe), then design everything, then actually build it. It involves tunnels under highway interchanges, and completely demolishing and rebuilding Indian Creek so 7 to 10 years for start of service is not unreasonable. Hopefully they can build it out in phases. Get Indian Creek to Wesley Chapel going, then add a station at a time going east, but this is just hopefulness on my part.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
They're currently doing the federal Environmental Review. Once this is done, they can apply for FTA grants and loans and such. As for time, minimum 7-10 years before start of service. They have to finish the EIR (18 months, started November 2012 I believe), then design everything, then actually build it. It involves tunnels under highway interchanges, and completely demolishing and rebuilding Indian Creek so 7 to 10 years for start of service is not unreasonable. Hopefully they can build it out in phases. Get Indian Creek to Wesley Chapel going, then add a station at a time going east, but this is just hopefulness on my part.
It sucks that GDOT requires the fixed guideway to be underground at freeway interchanges, instead of zooming above them. It would save hundreds of millions.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:31 AM

4,997 posts, read 4,037,003 times
Quote:
Here's a link to the Locally Preferred Alternative document (bigish PDF) http://itsmarta.com/uploadedFiles/Ab...%20Summary.pdf
Some of what I'm saying though comes from the public meeting back in October so that document doesn't contain everything, but you can see the proposed service map in Chapter 1 I believe.
Without adding track, they would have to time the trains so that the trailing Green Line express catches up to the Blue Line train just after it's terminated at Indian Creek. There is precedent, as the Norristown High Speed Line near Philadelphia operates a two-track line with express service.
Now BRT would take care of the right-of-way issue on I-20, ITP. But how the heck are they gonna swing the Blue line south down 285? There's really not much room east of Indian Creek to maneuver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta