Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:50 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,263 times

Advertisements

Oh boy, do I hope so. And if you've ever been on Howell Mill during rush hour, so should you:

More housing and retail for the Westside - but what about transit? | Opinion | Creative Loafing Atlanta

I've very interested in Wheatley's discussion here:

Quote:
State lawmakers from Fulton and DeKalb counties are said to be interested in drafting plans for a smaller version of the transportation sales tax, or T-SPLOST, that failed in metro Atlanta last July. A Cobb County lawmaker has also introduced a similar plan. That proposal faces an uphill battle, as it calls for repealing the T-SPLOST law in the three regions where voters approved the measure. In addition, there's talk under the Gold Dome of allowing fractional sales taxes to be spent on any purpose, which could include transportation. According to state revenue estimates CL compiled last year, Fulton, DeKalb, and Clayton counties could generate an estimated $3.1 billion if they partnered and passed a 1-percent sales tax. That's enough to beef up MARTA to run more frequently, build bus and rail lines, and construct all the bike lanes our hearts desire.
What do I need to do to persuade the city and/or legislature that I'm ready, able, and enthusiastic to pay more in taxes if they are designated for transit? Is a Fulton/Dekalb/Clayton TSPLOST a realistic possibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 06:55 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,020,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
Oh boy, do I hope so. And if you've ever been on Howell Mill during rush hour, so should you:

More housing and retail for the Westside - but what about transit? | Opinion | Creative Loafing Atlanta

I've very interested in Wheatley's discussion here:

What do I need to do to persuade the city and/or legislature that I'm ready, able, and enthusiastic to pay more in taxes if they are designated for transit? Is a Fulton/Dekalb/Clayton TSPLOST a realistic possibility?
This would pass easily if they add rail to the proposal for southern Dekalb and if they use more than half of the money for rail instead of splitting it 50/50 rail/roads

Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
And they said it would never happen...

Quote:
State lawmakers from Fulton and DeKalb counties are said to be interested in drafting plans for a smaller version of the transportation sales tax, or T-SPLOST, that failed in metro Atlanta last July. A Cobb County lawmaker has also introduced a similar plan. That proposal faces an uphill battle, as it calls for repealing the T-SPLOST law in the three regions where voters approved the measure. In addition, there's talk under the Gold Dome of allowing fractional sales taxes to be spent on any purpose, which could include transportation. According to state revenue estimates CL compiled last year, Fulton, DeKalb, and Clayton counties could generate an estimated $3.1 billion if they partnered and passed a 1-percent sales tax. That's enough to beef up MARTA to run more frequently, build bus and rail lines, and construct all the bike lanes our hearts desire.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 PM

402 posts, read 703,800 times
The plans proposed in this website would be a dream come true and balance out Atlanta:

About | Northside Drive Vision (*Site Under Construction*)

Old 02-06-2013, 10:42 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Like I've said, if the Clayton County commissioners would get their act together, MARTA could expand there in a matter of months.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:44 AM

110 posts, read 154,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Like I've said, if the Clayton County commissioners would get their act together, MARTA could expand there in a matter of months.
I believe that. It wouldn't be long before you would see Marta in Clayton county. I wish the other counties surrounding Atlanta would follow along.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:13 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
This would pass easily if they add rail to the proposal for southern Dekalb and if they use more than half of the money for rail instead of splitting it 50/50 rail/roads
Fulton and DeKalb would rather see more transit than roads, as long as the SE DeKalb line is added. If the SE DeKalb line is added and expansion of MARTA rail into Clayton, this would have no problem passing in the 3 counties with a transit heavy list.
Quote:
The plans proposed in this website would be a dream come true and balance out Atlanta:
About | Northside Drive Vision (*Site Under Construction*)
I like the corridor idea, but don't think buses are the right answer. That corridor is ideal for streetcar from West End to AS. The downtown streetcar and BeltLine could connect with it. Also a line eastbound along RDA Blvd to Turner Field/Grant Park would be great too.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 AM

7,357 posts, read 6,526,600 times
The problem is that a South Dekalb line like they want, is virtually impossible. At one of the public I-20 East meetings, Ms. Sidifall described that adding fixed-guideway transit along I-20 inside I-285 would require narrowing the emergency lanes below standard, to 8 feet for the supports. Even if they went through on that, it would cost an extra billion dollars. And this is before the NIMBY issue of all the "historic" neighborhoods surrounding I-20. The I-20 East project instead would add bus rapid transit along I-20 to Wesley Chapel Road where it meets the Heavy Rail component which goes as far as Stonecrest, and comes down from Indian Creek as an extension of the Green Line (no, Green line isn't a mistake on my part).

Old 02-07-2013, 08:44 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The problem is that a South Dekalb line like they want, is virtually impossible. At one of the public I-20 East meetings, Ms. Sidifall described that adding fixed-guideway transit along I-20 inside I-285 would require narrowing the emergency lanes below standard, to 8 feet for the supports. Even if they went through on that, it would cost an extra billion dollars. And this is before the NIMBY issue of all the "historic" neighborhoods surrounding I-20. The I-20 East project instead would add bus rapid transit along I-20 to Wesley Chapel Road where it meets the Heavy Rail component which goes as far as Stonecrest, and comes down from Indian Creek as an extension of the Green Line (no, Green line isn't a mistake on my part).
I thought the Green Line would be extended to Avondale and the Blue Line would extend to Stonecrest? Bankhead station's platform can only handle a 2-car length train and the South DeKalb extension would need at least 6-car trains.
Most of the historic intown neighborhoods want HRT along I-20, not much NIMBY when there is already a 10-lane wide freeway there. I know NPU-O voted yes to wanted HRT along the whole corridor and seconded HRT extension from Indian Creek and LRT inside the Perimter.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:02 AM

7,357 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Nope, Bankhead platform would be extended to [at least] 6 cars, the Green line would serve Bankhead, Ashby, Vine City, Dome, Five Points, Georgia state, then run express to Decatur, skip Avondale, then stop and Kensington and Indian Creek then serving all the new stations. I find it odd that they'd skip Avondale, particularly once the Clifton Corridor comes online, but I'd also have a hard time skipping Decatur. Kensington however they could probably skip.

Well, perhaps the neighborhoods wouldn't object to an elevated structure on top of I-20, but when you'd have to condemn properties to run alongside, you'd start running into problems. Not only do I imagine the property owners of the condemned properties objecting, but I'm sure someone would bring up "neighborhood character" or somesuch.

But just because they're taking the easier path for outside I-285 service, doesn't mean inside I-285 HRT service is off the chopping block yet. If MARTA were smart, they'd build Wesley Chapel Road as an island platform with enough room for a pocket track off the east side. Then you could run Blue line service off of Indian Creek, terminating at Wesley Chapel with through service direct from Stonecrest into Atlanta along I-20. You could even run service along the Blue line to Stonecrest in the morning and evening peak times for people needing to reach Decatur and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta