U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 07:37 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,245,415 times

Advertisements

Try looking in the Gainesville area. Lots of retirees, great healthcare, and close to both the mountains and Atlanta. I just had a close relative retire there and she loves it - nice mix of people from all over and she has found it very friendly. Just avoid the southside of town and a few other pockets here and there (just like everyplace else in Georgia - good and bad areas are mixed together here). Voted one of the best places to retire by AARP.

AARP seeks out most affordable places to retire - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,495,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
They care about resale value.

So they de facto care about schools.
I think you both are making assumptions. However, if they plan for this to be their last house, they probably don't care about the value.

I sure as heck would not exclude an entire County. Dekalb has some great schools, regardless of the overall system's issues. I will say Doraville, out of the entire metro area, is a very odd choice.

Check out Decatur, Dunwoody, and possibly things in Gwinnett. Heck, you may not like this type of lifestyle, but you can get a very large condo in Atlanta for $300k and be able to live a true walking community if you want big city feel.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:25 PM

7,731 posts, read 9,605,897 times
ATL Golfer, the OP said:

Quote:
We don't have kids, so schools are not an issue, but if we end up needing to move to assisted care sometime in the future, we need to be in an area that has some resale value.
And when you need to move to assisted care, you can't exactly wait, so you better not mess around hoping that mid century modern houses are still en vogue (they certainly won't stay that way forever, they already fell out of favor once) or that your town cleans up its act. You better be somewhere realiably valuable.

Also, one quick word to the wise about Northcrest: during the floods of 2009, a lot of the homes there had flooding in their basements. I would do a lot of dillignece to see if a house you like was affected. If it was, make sure the problem was fixed so it will not flood again. My friend had to spend sums of money you wouldn't believe to get his basement fixed, and I imagine a lot of people cut corners.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:34 PM

15 posts, read 25,108 times
We may not be "wise" but we appreciate your wise words. Keep them coming, please!

Old 02-08-2013, 12:21 AM

Just since you like MCM homes, you may consider reading through this short thread: looking for affordable mid century modern in a good school district

Here is another thread that discusses homes with 70s style architecture: 1970s "Contemporary" Homes - Love? Hate? Live in One?

For the things you are looking for, I would really see you in more of the exurbs of Atlanta. This board tends to focus on intown living, which you can certainly do, but you haven't specified wanting the things that intowners relish like walkability, public transit, and so on, so I wouldn't imagine why you would want to get so much less for your $300k by picking an expensive intown neighborhood.

The good news is further out, $300k is going to get you quite a lot and I think you'll be able to find what you are looking for. I know you said you wanted to be close to St. Josephs and/or Emory, but how often will you go there? The great thing about the northern suburbs is they have branches of excellent Atlanta hospitals. There is a branch of Northside in Alpharetta, I think, Emory has a hospital in Johns Creek, and so on. So you can practically be in the mountains before being 30 minutes away from these facilities. I don't know if they have the support network you are looking for, but I know as you age, being close to medical facilities is important (my parents refuse to go anywhere other than Mayo clinic).

You're going to have a lot of different options. You can look in Forsyth county and you'll definitely find a great house, but probably it will be new and not have the character you are seeking. The same thing is true in Gwinnett county, but you may be able to find something to fit your needs in the Lake Lanier area as that has been desireable for quite some time and you might be able to find something older. Some of the neighborhoods may actually be in Hall county, but this area would provide virtually limitless greenspace and access to the lake culture, which tends to be slightly more laid back.

You could also do the reverse and go into an area like Sandy Springs where you will find a lot of people your age because it took them that long to afford to move there, or they got in 30 years ago when it was affordable. The trouble is, it's quite expensive, but I know that if you look long and hard enough you can find some older fixer uppers in the neighborhood you are talking about. I know someone who lives right on Riverside Drive (very prestigious road to live on) who paid about that for his house. He just has an old beat up 70s house and lives among much nicer homes, but he doesn't care, and you may not either. It is still possible to find some that haven't been renovated, but not easy.

You are definitely going to be able to find what you are looking for in metro Atlanta, but it isn't in Doraville.

A lot of people like you seem to really enjoy the areas of Woodstock and Canton, but I just don't know that much about them. Think horse farms and curvy 2 lane roads, but that's about all I know. Being a Florida guy, it's hard for me to not be part of some kind of water culture, but they do have Lake Allatoona up there, I'm just not that familiar with it.

There will be plenty for you to look at. So much that it will probably be a daunting task, so maybe you should think about some other things that are important to you that can help posters here narrow down the search for you some more.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:17 AM

21,200 posts, read 33,164,304 times
You might consider the Sexton Woods neighborhood in the suburb of Chamblee (adjacent to Doraville). It has a smattering of mid century modern homes, a more sedate location than Northcrest, and is within your budget.
There are threads here that are devoted to this neighborhood. Click on the Search button above and keyword 'Sexton Woods Chamblee' under Show Threads.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,613 times
Hi, my husband and I (early 40s, no children) moved to Northcrest after we were married two years ago. We bought our house for $230,000 from original owners. LOVE IT! I lived in downtown and midtown Atlanta for 20 years and would only move directly out of the city if we found a place that was easy to get back downtown and with a fenced in backyard, places to walk, etc. We have two dogs now, walk all over the neighborhood and joined the Swim/Tennis club within the neighborhood. I was very impressed how the teenagers hung out with the older folks, it is a really good vibe. Everyone looks after each other and I feel very relaxed and happy here. The trees are tall and lots of flowers (which you are probably used to in CA). Can you walk to a Starbucks? No - I do miss a few things like that, but calling Kroger a ghetto Kroger because there are people from all walks of life around Northcrest in nonsense. And you are near Buford Highway, so many great restaurants. It takes 15 minutes to get into town as we are so close to all interstates. I believe you would love this neighborhood and the people. : )

Old 04-18-2013, 06:05 PM

15 posts, read 25,108 times
Default Thanks and update

It has been a while since I first posted and I wanted to thank everyone who replied, most recently MLJoiner, who reminded me I had never brought this train of thought back to the station.

My husband and I made a trip east in early March, a wide swing through the areas in 3 states that were the top contenders as we investigated possible places to retire once we sell our house in CA. Our travels took us through Greenville, SC, and although it had not originally been on our "short list," when we got there we exhaled. Not sure exactly why, but we felt we had "arrived."

We did check out the Northcrest area, and truthfully, it was a lovely neighborhood tucked into a metropolitan area that was just too big and too busy for us. We had been warned about Atlanta traffic and once we were there, we realized it was one negative we just couldn't ignore.

So we'll be (happily) trading the left coast lifestyle for upstate, SC living. There may not be any MCM enclaves there, but there are plenty of little brick ranch houses that will do just fine.

Thanks again to all for your input, and I imagine those who keep tabs on the Greenville-Spartanburg forum might just see me "over there" soon!

Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 PM

21,200 posts, read 33,164,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCanine View Post
It has been a while since I first posted and I wanted to thank everyone who replied, most recently MLJoiner, who reminded me I had never brought this train of thought back to the station.

My husband and I made a trip east in early March, a wide swing through the areas in 3 states that were the top contenders as we investigated possible places to retire once we sell our house in CA. Our travels took us through Greenville, SC, and although it had not originally been on our "short list," when we got there we exhaled. Not sure exactly why, but we felt we had "arrived."

We did check out the Northcrest area, and truthfully, it was a lovely neighborhood tucked into a metropolitan area that was just too big and too busy for us. We had been warned about Atlanta traffic and once we were there, we realized it was one negative we just couldn't ignore.

So we'll be (happily) trading the left coast lifestyle for upstate, SC living. There may not be any MCM enclaves there, but there are plenty of little brick ranch houses that will do just fine.

Thanks again to all for your input, and I imagine those who keep tabs on the Greenville-Spartanburg forum might just see me "over there" soon!
Greenville is lovely IMO, especially downtown. Best of luck to the both of you.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:06 AM

Good choice. Atlanta traffic can definitely be a disaster and Northcrest is right by one of the biggest disasters of all, spaghetti junction.

I think you are wise to avoid this. You're lucky to be able to, most people put up with it because they have to.

I'm sure we will still see you at Mall of Georgia from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or