U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2013, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,052 posts, read 1,309,011 times
Reputation: 496

Advertisements

Clayton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2013, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,177 posts, read 16,173,511 times
Reputation: 4899
Suburban shopping malls are outdated developments. Consumers are changing their shopping habits and using online retailers more and local shops. The day of large, super-regional shopping malls are over. Outdoor shopping destinations, like Atlantic Station and The Forums are the future as people want a more, historical Main Street shopping experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 AM
 
74 posts, read 72,722 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Suburban shopping malls are outdated developments. Consumers are changing their shopping habits and using online retailers more and local shops. The day of large, super-regional shopping malls are over. Outdoor shopping destinations, like Atlantic Station and The Forums are the future as people want a more, historical Main Street shopping experience.
Not true, Northpoint in Alpharetta, Perimeter in Dunwoody, Town Center in Kennesaw, The Mall of GA in Buford, Lenox and Phipps in Midtown are doing very well.

Malls that are in low income areas with high crime like Southlake are the malls that are in trouble for obvious reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,177 posts, read 16,173,511 times
Reputation: 4899
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernassassin View Post
Not true, Northpoint in Alpharetta, Perimeter in Dunwoody, Town Center in Kennesaw, The Mall of GA in Buford, Lenox and Phipps in Midtown are doing very well.

Malls that are in low income areas with high crime like Southlake are the malls that are in trouble for obvious reasons.
How many new malls have been built within the past 5 years? We are seeing more outdoor shopping destinations. Never said the ones going strong would fail, just that consumers are getting away from enclosed shopping malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 09:36 AM
 
1,584 posts, read 1,655,414 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernassassin View Post
Not true, Northpoint in Alpharetta, Perimeter in Dunwoody, Town Center in Kennesaw, The Mall of GA in Buford, Lenox and Phipps in Midtown are doing very well.

Malls that are in low income areas with high crime like Southlake are the malls that are in trouble for obvious reasons.
That doesn't mean they aren't outdated. How about we wait til Avalon opens in Alpharetta to see how North Point does then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Johns Creek, Ga
3 posts, read 5,377 times
Reputation: 12
Avalon shouldn't have much an effect on north point most if the retail will be higher end niche stores, nothing like a dept store you get at the mall. the new theatre built may impact the AMC at north point though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 10:41 AM
 
1,584 posts, read 1,655,414 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStide11 View Post
Avalon shouldn't have much an effect on north point most if the retail will be higher end niche stores, nothing like a dept store you get at the mall. the new theatre built may impact the AMC at north point though.
That is why it will affect North Point. It is in an affluent area and tastes have changed. The well to do in North Fulton didn't go to the mall to get jeans off the sale rack. They went to drop 200 on a pair of True Religion jeans. The mall will lose a good bit of higher end clientele.
Also, the new theatre will surely affect the two on North Point Parkway. How could it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 11:30 AM
 
148 posts, read 177,155 times
Reputation: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernassassin View Post
Not true, Northpoint in Alpharetta, Perimeter in Dunwoody, Town Center in Kennesaw, The Mall of GA in Buford, Lenox and Phipps in Midtown are doing very well.

Malls that are in low income areas with high crime like Southlake are the malls that are in trouble for obvious reasons.
So sad. Growing up in Fayette County in the 80s and 90s, going to Shannon Mall and Southlake Mall felt like going to the "big city", and they were completely safe. Pictures with Santa Claus, picking out pets from the pet store, lunch after church, etc. I have fond memories of Southlake Mall. Lenox Mall was where the "crime" was, and Buford might as well been in Tennessee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,177 posts, read 16,173,511 times
Reputation: 4899
Quote:
Lenox Mall was where the "crime" was,
What? Buckhead being one of the most exclusive zip codes in the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 11:55 AM
 
74 posts, read 72,722 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How many new malls have been built within the past 5 years? We are seeing more outdoor shopping destinations. Never said the ones going strong would fail, just that consumers are getting away from enclosed shopping malls.
Sorry didnt understand, then yes I agree. The move seems to be towards outdoor developments like the Avenues of East and the Avenues of West Cobb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top