U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2013, 08:06 PM
 
28,109 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Reputation: 9523

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I think the area of this proposed city (except the "Tucker" part) should be annexed by the City of Atlanta.
I truly don't comprehend the argument in favor of being annexed by Atlanta. It might make the folks in downtown Atlanta happy, but it's hard to fathom any benefit whatsoever to the folks in North DeKalb.

And lest the folks in DeKalb think they've got school problems, don't forget that COA is still reeling from its own accreditation issues. Not to mention that Atlanta is the place that hires $400,000 a year administrators with $100,000 a year personal chauffeurs to preside over the most notorious cheating scandal in the history of American public education.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2013, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
6,892 posts, read 9,586,933 times
Reputation: 5303
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I truly don't comprehend the argument in favor of being annexed by Atlanta. It might make the folks in downtown Atlanta happy, but it's hard to fathom any benefit whatsoever to the folks in North DeKalb.

And lest the folks in DeKalb think they've got school problems, don't forget that COA is still reeling from its own accreditation issues. Not to mention that Atlanta is the place that hires $400,000 a year administrators with $100,000 a year personal chauffeurs to preside over the most notorious cheating scandal in the history of American public education.

I don't disagree with you at all on history. But from my vantage point (mainly online info, this site being a great barometer among others) there is a feeling that Atlanta (city of) has had its worst days and the future for most every facet of the city looks brighter. Compare that to DeKalb where decline is noticeable in many parts with an ominous foreboding that the worst is yet to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
6,892 posts, read 9,586,933 times
Reputation: 5303
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I don't think this potential new city should be crossing I-285. It should not include any part of "Tucker."


I think the area of this proposed city (except the "Tucker" part) should be annexed by the City of Atlanta.


However, if it did become an independent city, a more suitable name could potentially be...

Briarcliff.

Briarcliff, GA.


Another option--if the rest of Druid Hills is annexed by the City of Atlanta, I think another suitable name for the proposed city could be...

North Druid Hills.

North Druid Hills, GA
Once again we are proving to be twins separated at birth. Hope that made you chuckle. Great, great suggestions, agree 100% on annexation into Atlanta first and then your name choices.

However, the second option would produce one of those cities with a directional name without a matching city to be north, south, east or west of. Like, where is Point, GA?

(Going for a second chuckle...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 06:55 AM
JPD
 
11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
Reputation: 7536
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I don't think this potential new city should be crossing I-285. It should not include any part of "Tucker."


I think the area of this proposed city (except the "Tucker" part) should be annexed by the City of Atlanta.

The fact that they're trying to cherry-pick what are by far the most affluent neighborhoods (Livsey and Midvale areas) in Tucker tells me everything I need to know about this new city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 06:59 AM
 
9,907 posts, read 6,894,976 times
Reputation: 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Great, great suggestions, agree 100% on annexation into Atlanta first and then your name choices.
I agree. I grew up in that neighborhood and went to Lakeside High, but I like the city of "Briarcliff, GA" better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 07:17 AM
 
12,904 posts, read 20,974,770 times
Reputation: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Once again we are proving to be twins separated at birth. Hope that made you chuckle. Great, great suggestions, agree 100% on annexation into Atlanta first and then your name choices.

However, the second option would produce one of those cities with a directional name without a matching city to be north, south, east or west of. Like, where is Point, GA?

(Going for a second chuckle...)
Yes, I chuckled--and what you say is true!

Per the second option--

It could work because it would be directly north of the famous large neighborhood/area in the City of Atlanta called "Druid Hills."


East Point got its name due to being the eastern point or terminus of a railroad line from back in history, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 07:19 AM
 
12,904 posts, read 20,974,770 times
Reputation: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
The fact that they're trying to cherry-pick what are by far the most affluent neighborhoods (Livsey and Midvale areas) in Tucker tells me everything I need to know about this new city.
Good point. This is not good.

If anything, Tucker should incorporate/become a city. And I think a City of Tucker should include the Northlake Mall Area, the Evansdale Area, and possibly Smoke Rise (or Smoke Rise could become a separate city a la Peachtree Corners).

The rest of the proposed "Lakeside" should be annexed by the City of Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 08:25 AM
 
1,584 posts, read 1,653,989 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes, I chuckled--and what you say is true!

Per the second option--

It could work because it would be directly north of the famous large neighborhood/area in the City of Atlanta called "Druid Hills."


East Point got its name due to being the eastern point or terminus of a railroad line from back in history, I think.
Yep. There is a West Point. I still chuckled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
6,892 posts, read 9,586,933 times
Reputation: 5303
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Yep. There is a West Point. I still chuckled.
Yes, East Point got its name because it was the eastern terminus of the Atlanta & West Point railway. West Point is from my neck of the woods, on the Alabama line below LaGrange. The 'tracks' in my hometown of Hogansville (you know those tracks that you need to be on the right side of...) are that same railroad.

It is always a bit disorienting for newcomers to find that East Point is south and west of Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 10:31 AM
JPD
 
11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
Reputation: 7536
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

If anything, Tucker should incorporate/become a city. And I think a City of Tucker should include the Northlake Mall Area, the Evansdale Area, and possibly Smoke Rise (or Smoke Rise could become a separate city a la Peachtree Corners).

The rest of the proposed "Lakeside" should be annexed by the City of Atlanta.
All of that sounds sensible to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top