U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2013, 05:57 PM
 
28,269 posts, read 24,881,602 times
Reputation: 9637

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
This is the future of Atlanta area, all wealthy areas will become there own cities and not have anything to do with the rest of their county. Examples so far: Dunwoody, Brookhaven, Alpharetta, Milton and few others and in the future probably Lakeside, and if allowed: Emory & Druidhills.
The exception might be Buckhead, Ansley, Virginia-Highland, Morningside and other well-heeled intown neighborhoods. They're part of the city of Atlanta already and are obviously not going anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2013, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,472 posts, read 4,134,175 times
Reputation: 2177
My theory on why bad leadership is continually voted in in Dekalb County?

The white folks who live in majority black voting districts in Dekalb County either:

A) don't vote or

B) if they do vote, they refuse to vote Democrat or even vote for black Republicans consistently.

Why do I say this?

I remember a couple of years ago when Cynthia McKinney was our U.S. Congressional Representative and she raised the ire of so many Dekalb County white folks with her comments on 9/11 and former U.S. President George Bush's involvement. Funny enough white folks had no problems crossing over and voting Democrat in enough numbers to even nullify the effect of the majority of black voters in South Dekalb County.

So if they are able to do that, why is it that white people will not vote in better black leadership?

Where did those high numbers of white voters who gave Cynthia McKinney the boot not once, but twice...go? Did they disappear into thin air, never to be seen or heard from again?

Intelligent black political leadership, be they Democrat or Republican, do exist. And they have ran for political office in Dekalb County many times. And yet they do not get in. The incumbents always seem to stay in office.

Quite honestly, I find it amazing that stuff like what I talk about isn't brought up very often, if at all. Someone please tell me that I am not the only person who has given at least more that a superficial thought about this situation.

I credit the corporate mainstream media for purposely retarding the political discourse so that the truth will never see the limelight.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 02-08-2013 at 06:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2013, 06:30 PM
 
28,269 posts, read 24,881,602 times
Reputation: 9637
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
So if they are able to do that, why is it that white people will not vote in better black leadership?
Snake, you have a point but I don't think you can lay everything at the feet of white folks. As you know, black leaders have also been intent on making sure that that black people vote for black candidates.

I'm sure you remember the last mayoral election when some prominent professors at Clark circulated a memo endorsing Lisa Borders on the the theory that she was the only candidate who could defeat Mary Norwood and ensure that Atlanta ended up with a black mayor.

The memo about to shake the Atlanta mayor's race | Political Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2013, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,472 posts, read 4,134,175 times
Reputation: 2177
Atlanta has nothing to do with Dekalb.

But for the sake of moving along the discussion I will bite at your apple.

You know I have a great point, but you just want to go into denial and spin mode like you usually do whenever the notion of race & racism in American & Georgia life comes up. I am not the one to deny that a lot of black people do a lot of race-based voting. I totally acknowledge that there are many black people who will vote with a race-colored lens.

But...and I do mean a big BUT....

But waaaaaaay more than just race alone, Black people vote the Progressive/Liberal ticket in spectacularly HUGE numbers.

Whether it was for the Radical Republicans who advocated for the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments to the U.S. Constitution, or the Great Society Democrats who advocated for the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1965 Voting Rights Act, Black Americans will vote in overwhelmingly huge for any Progressive ideologue(s) who at least talks the game of black inclusion in American life.

So any politician in majority black areas who run under whatever party affiliation that is considered to be progressive/liberal to-date is going to get the black votes regardless.

And if there are memos that appeal to race/racism as you want to point out? That's simply a time-honored political tactic to scare out the extremist black voters who otherwise would've stayed home.

Perdue appealed to extreme white voters with his promise of a Confederate flag vote, and Deal did it with his "ghetto grandmothers" speech. That's all part of the game.

That has always been the case. You can't argue against those points, bud.

But I dare you to try.

I want you to try.

It will be an interesting spectacle to see what new arguments you can come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Snake, you have a point but I don't think you can lay everything at the feet of white folks. As you know, black leaders have also been intent on making sure that that black people vote for black candidates.

I'm sure you remember the last mayoral election when some prominent professors at Clark circulated a memo endorsing Lisa Borders on the the theory that she was the only candidate who could defeat Mary Norwood and ensure that Atlanta ended up with a black mayor.

The memo about to shake the Atlanta mayor's race | Political Insider

Last edited by AcidSnake; 02-08-2013 at 07:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2013, 07:15 PM
 
3,966 posts, read 10,840,101 times
Reputation: 1428
Because of the Justice Department, in terms of local (school board, city councils, county commission) most districts are either majority white or majority black. (You can tell this by looking at school statistics.) In DeKalb there are 9 school board districts. When McKinney represented DeKalb, she had virtually the whole county and small parts of others. (Back then we had less than 12 US representatives for the whole state.)

Anyway, in DeKalb, Gene Walker was elected by a diverse district, but if he isn't thrown out by the Governor or recalled, he will lose next time. The other school board members' race reflects the majority of the districts they represent.

Your theory is incredibly far fetched. There aren't enough whites, for example, in Lee May's county commission district to make an iota of difference.

There are certainly intelligent black candidates. Some ran in 2012 against our worst board members. Out of three races, only 1 incumbent lost. And on and on it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2013, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,472 posts, read 4,134,175 times
Reputation: 2177
I am not arguing that all of Dekalb County's commission seats and school board seats are competitive. But it stands to reason though, that for the ones that are, that white people would at least make a showing at the polls, be it the Dekalb CEO seat, the Dekalb School Board Chair seat, and any others. But they aren't.

As to why, I'll simply repeat that a lot of them simply abstained from voting when it's just black candidates or simply vote Republican in the Presidential elections. You may not like my reasoning, but I'll bet you that it's solid and totally valid; if cold hard unbiased research was brought to bear on this issue.

Let Tucker, Lakeside, and Druid Hills become cities, I say.

But in my honest opinion, the people advocating for cityhood and the people who will vote in droves for cityhood never made much of an honest effort to vote in Dekalb County. Never.

White-flight wasn't just from neighborhoods, public schools, county jobs, and public parks. It was from the ballot box as well.

Count on it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Because of the Justice Department, in terms of local (school board, city councils, county commission) most districts are either majority white or majority black. (You can tell this by looking at school statistics.) In DeKalb there are 9 school board districts. When McKinney represented DeKalb, she had virtually the whole county and small parts of others. (Back then we had less than 12 US representatives for the whole state.)

Anyway, in DeKalb, Gene Walker was elected by a diverse district, but if he isn't thrown out by the Governor or recalled, he will lose next time. The other school board members' race reflects the majority of the districts they represent.

Your theory is incredibly far fetched. There aren't enough whites, for example, in Lee May's county commission district to make an iota of difference.

There are certainly intelligent black candidates. Some ran in 2012 against our worst board members. Out of three races, only 1 incumbent lost. And on and on it goes.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 02-08-2013 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2013, 07:54 PM
 
3,966 posts, read 10,840,101 times
Reputation: 1428
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I am not arguing that all of Dekalb County's commission seats and school board seats are competitive. But it stands to reason though, that for the ones that are, that white people would at least make a showing at the polls, be it the Dekalb CEO seat or the Dekalb School Board Chair seat. But they aren't.

As to why, I'll simply repeat that a lot of them simply abstained from voting when it's just black candidates or simply vote Republican in the Presidential elections. You may not like my reasoning, but I'll bet you that it's solid and totally valid; if cold hard unbiased research was brought to bear on this issue.

Let Tucker, Lakeside, and Druid Hills become cities, I say.

But in my honest opinion, the people advocating for cityhood and the people who will vote in droves for cityhood never made much of an honest effort to vote in Dekalb County. Never.

White-flight wasn't just from neighborhoods, public schools, county jobs, and public parks. It was from the ballot box as well.

Count on it.
Just tell me which DeKalb school board or commission district has the potential to be competitive? Before the housing market crashed, I believed that we would see real changes in the demographics of the McNair area as it gentrified. Of course, that process stalled.

If you look at the demographics of the school board districts, there aren't enough whites to make a iota of difference in most of them. And I don't think the white repubicans are living in S. DeKalb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2013, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,472 posts, read 4,134,175 times
Reputation: 2177
Just like arjay, you are ignoring my main points because you know what I say is valid.

Think about it:

If Vernon Jones was so corrupt, why wasn't he voted out in the second term? If Eugene Walker was so out-of-touch with the needs of Dekalb County's parents, there were plenty of other candidates who could've replaced him; had white people backed up the black conservatives and black moderates at the polls in huge numbers.

But that didn't happen now, did it?

And now I've just figured out why.

But you and others like you do not want to admit that what I say may be true, because it simply lifts yet another curtain off of one of the brutal and tragic realities of life in the south...and especially life in Dekalb County, post-desegregation.

And more than likely a lot of people are accustomed to the official story to the world that the American South has changed...and that Atlanta is "too busy to hate"...when they know all too well that they are still extremely uncomfortable around diversity in their own personal lives.

But that's okay. I'm not in the least bit sadden that what I say is hard to swallow.

But swallow this uncomfortable reality we must.

If there is ever to be real healing and true evolution in America and especially in the South, then we the people who love life and cherish the future must confront these demons and lay them to rest once and for all.

Just my two cents, anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Just tell me which DeKalb school board or commission district has the potential to be competitive? Before the housing market crashed, I believed that we would see real changes in the demographics of the McNair area as it gentrified. Of course, that process stalled.

If you look at the demographics of the school board districts, there aren't enough whites to make a iota of difference in most of them. And I don't think the white repubicans are living in S. DeKalb.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 02-08-2013 at 08:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2013, 08:45 PM
 
3,966 posts, read 10,840,101 times
Reputation: 1428
Gene Walker ran against a a white woman. In Sarah Copelin-Woods districts, people of all races contributed to her Black male opponent. A week or so before the election, it was discovered that he a prior arrest for a domestic issue (ugh).

People, again of all races, contributed to the opponent of Zepora Roberts (who had slugged a reporter earlier that year) and Roberts was defeated.

So there you have it. As to Gene, he is one of the most beloved politicians in all of S. DeKalb. He has tremendous power and is not afraid to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2013, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,472 posts, read 4,134,175 times
Reputation: 2177
Says you.

I'll still bet you though that the numbers of white voters registered versus the ones who actually showed up and how they voted tell a completely different story.

And to note, Cynthia McKinney was most beloved by all of South Dekalb as well, especially with black women, who make up the largest voting segment. But that didn't stop the crossover voting from trouncing her fiercely on two occasions. And that crossover vote didn't just disappear.

So in this case you, arjay, and I will have to agree to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Gene Walker ran against a a white woman. In Sarah Copelin-Woods districts, people of all races contributed to her Black male opponent. A week or so before the election, it was discovered that he a prior arrest for a domestic issue (ugh).

People, again of all races, contributed to the opponent of Zepora Roberts (who had slugged a reporter earlier that year) and Roberts was defeated.

So there you have it. As to Gene, he is one of the most beloved politicians in all of S. DeKalb. He has tremendous power and is not afraid to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top