U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:07 AM

2,092 posts, read 2,560,941 times

Advertisements

Here is another potential city in the making...

Your daily jolt: Another DeKalb city proposed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 11:09 AM
JPD

11,871 posts, read 14,477,354 times
Slimy of them to try to grab all the wealthy areas from Tucker.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:37 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,116,624 times
Good for the Lakesiders.

Most of their children and grandchildren are grown up and/or living in the exurbs and other far-reaching areas of Georgia, so why should they give a crap about everyone else in Dekalb?

Balkanization is the "in" thing these days, I guess.

On another note, it does suck though that for the amount of black people and other assorted minorities who live in Georgia, the voting districts are so heavily gerrymandered that our state political leadership is basically not reflective of the demographics.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:34 PM

6,911 posts, read 9,598,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Slimy of them to try to grab all the wealthy areas from Tucker.
Maybe this will get Tucker residents on board to incorporate, it is more historic as a community, has a town center, much more natural for it to be an incorporated city. I propose that Lakeside have its right to become a city but stay ITP and let Tucker be OTP with the "P" being the boundary between the two.

I don't see this as more layers of government. I see this as a response to ineffective county governments. In Georgia, the county has far too much power. Georgia counties should do basic county services and get out of the municipal services business. Municipal services are for municipalities, i.e. CITIES.

As county governments get too big and unwieldy and unresponsive to its citizens, this trend will continue across the metro area. Cobb is well run right now, but that was said of DeKalb a few decades back.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:38 PM

1,958 posts, read 1,642,645 times
Acidsnake,
Well the "everyone else in Dekalb" did vote in the folks that have mis-managed the county, and the folks in Lakeside are stuck with the results--and there is no reason to believe that mangement will improve, either. It is easy to be dismissive of folks that are acting in defense of their property values, when it is not your money. Consider that the folks that stayed in Stone Mountain for 30 years have seen their property values drop almost 2/3rds (and their property vlaues barely kept up with inflation in the good times). So, the folks in the Lakeside area are considering carving out an area they believe they can manage well. You can disagree if you want, but you seem at least as closed minded to the situation of others, as you claim others are.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:43 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I propose that Lakeside have its right to become a city but stay ITP and let Tucker be OTP with the "P" being the boundary between the two.
That wouldn't work for Tucker. Tucker's incorporation study says they need the Northlake business district to be inside its borders in order to be financially sustainable as a city.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:01 PM

6,911 posts, read 9,598,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
That wouldn't work for Tucker. Tucker's incorporation study says they need the Northlake business district to be inside its borders in order to be financially sustainable as a city.
How about this area AND Tucker incorporate as Tucker?

Old 02-07-2013, 02:11 PM

28,146 posts, read 24,671,942 times
That's a really nice area of DeKalb. I hope they make it.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:12 PM
JPD

Quote:
That's what they should do, but if Lakeside snatches up Northlake, Tucker might never be able to be a city.

When I lived in Tucker and the cityhood discussion was at a fever pitch, I was opposed cityhood. That was because a lot of the pro-city folks had some really backwards ideas. However, now they are heading in the right direction. Impressively so. I would support Tucker's incorporation now.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:27 PM

1,958 posts, read 1,642,645 times
Quote:
Maybe the county should just be annexed by Atlanta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or