U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 01:26 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,656,109 times

Advertisements

Pols propose lowering Hope Grant GPA requirement - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 10:12 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,656,109 times
Bump.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:43 AM

11,319 posts, read 21,916,527 times
Are kids who can't even manage a 3.0 in high school really college material?

Or does the HOPE scholarship also apply to trade schools and the like?

Old 02-08-2013, 11:55 AM

141 posts, read 236,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Are kids who can't even manage a 3.0 in high school really college material?

Or does the HOPE scholarship also apply to trade schools and the like?
HOPE can be used at about 25 different technical colleges in the state.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:49 PM

12,932 posts, read 19,824,518 times
The Hope grant is NOT for 4 yr universities, but only for technical colleges. In spite of that, I still think the bar will be set too low at 2.0. Perhaps if high schools brought back the technical classes that have mostly disappeared it would be apparent which students have an aptitude for tech careers, which can be lucrative.

By lowering the required gpa a full point, I worry that too many will go into a technical college just to "try it out", which would be a waste of Hope dollars. I think a 2.5 gpa is fair, but high schools really need a technical track first.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The Hope grant is NOT for 4 yr universities, but only for technical colleges.
Oh, ok. I didn't catch that little word there. Hope grant != HOPE scholarship.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:35 PM

472 posts, read 644,406 times
I'm glad someone pointed out the grant part. HOPE SCHOLARSHIP will not be changed.

I think that the need for more technical school graduates and LESS college graduates is something that only very few people realize. After all, all the money these for-profit schools get, why would they say anything? We need a skilled trade school workforce as we do a strong college workforce. A student graduating from Macon State is simply not going to find a job worth the money he paid for his degree regardless of major. The cost-benefit analysis is a bust.

Pharmacy technicians, radiology techs, plumbers, physical therapy assistants, dental assistants and dental hygienists and other technical school grad positions are very important and in much demand. I don't know how I feel about the bar being set too low. All I know is that if there is an evident correlation between the number of technical school matriculants and HOPE GPA requirements - something has to be done. These young people are twiddling their thumbs with their unemployment. Better to lower the standard than to have all these people out of work indefinitely.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:36 PM

492 posts, read 600,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
I'm glad someone pointed out the grant part. HOPE SCHOLARSHIP will not be changed.

I think that the need for more technical school graduates and LESS college graduates is something that only very few people realize. After all, all the money these for-profit schools get, why would they say anything? We need a skilled trade school workforce as we do a strong college workforce. A student graduating from Macon State is simply not going to find a job worth the money he paid for his degree regardless of major. The cost-benefit analysis is a bust.

Pharmacy technicians, radiology techs, plumbers, physical therapy assistants, dental assistants and dental hygienists and other technical school grad positions are very important and in much demand. I don't know how I feel about the bar being set too low. All I know is that if there is an evident correlation between the number of technical school matriculants and HOPE GPA requirements - something has to be done. These young people are twiddling their thumbs with their unemployment. Better to lower the standard than to have all these people out of work indefinitely.

What universities are worth the money spent on the degree in Georgia? Just wondering.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
What universities are worth the money spent on the degree in Georgia? Just wondering.
Georgia Tech, probably for sure.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:10 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,301,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
Georgia Tech, Emory, UGA, Mercer, GCSU, GSU, SPSU, North Georgia and GA Southern..maybe KSU.

Any of the bigger schools with decently bright students is a school worth attending. Obviously not everyone is going to go to UGA, Tech or Emory. In fact, most won't. Any reasonably good four year university is something I wouldn't mind kids attending. Schools like Albany State, Valdosta State, Darton State etc. enroll such poorly qualified students they just serve as a big money pie for loan sharks. When I say poorly qualified I mean academically. They're not good students. Sorry, not everyone is created equal. Stop buying that lie. Students that should be going to technical school to earn a respectable living are instead being sold the crap that everyone has to go to college. Most people don't even graduate anyway. What a waste of time, energy and money. tbh, dental hygienist make as much as nurses with 1/4 of the cost of education.

\/\/\/

2012 average SAT score and GPA:

Georgia Tech: 1365 3.76
University of Georgia: 1238 3.76
Georgia College and State U: 1160 3.42
Southern Polytechnic State U: 1141 3.28
North Georgia College and State U: 1117 3.51
Georgia Southern U: 1115 3.18
4-year university average: 1110 3.12
Kennesaw State U: 1089 3.20
Georgia State U: 1082 3.33
Armstrong Atlantic State U: 1016 3.16
Valdosta State U: 1015 3.12
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta