U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 PM

28,178 posts, read 24,730,127 times

Advertisements

Commercial airline pilots make darn good money. Bringing another 200 high paying jobs to the ATL is very welcome news.

Sounds like there could be many more to come, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,302,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Commercial airline pilots make darn good money. Bringing another 200 high paying jobs to the ATL is very welcome news.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:26 AM

9,010 posts, read 16,186,547 times
Its Un-Likely to add any Pilot (State Income Taxes) jobs to Atlanta, The Pilots that already live here, Great. But Pilots generally don't move to there Base City. The live in No/Low Income Tax states, and/or where they want to, They fly 'free' to/from there base so a commute is what they do, They can more or less fly into there Base City Easily. SW/AirTran is a member of CASS and has Reciprocal with all(or most) the Part 121/135's, so They can jump seat on all the Major's

Southwest has 10? Bases across the US, Pilots as they Gain seniority can post to be at new bases. SW can move Pilots from Base to Base over the careers as the staffing needs at each base change.

Last edited by flyonpa; 02-13-2013 at 08:50 AM..

Old 02-13-2013, 01:14 PM

110 posts, read 202,758 times
Quote:

It's unlikely to create any new jobs or lower airfares. Very underwhelming news.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:35 PM

3,209 posts, read 4,516,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
The more and more I look into this I just don't think Southwest will ever be all that great for Atlanta. They are replacing another budget airline that served us -great- with more destinations and a small hub. That will always be hard to beat for a budget airlines that only offers point to point service on only the busiest traveled routes.

I think I'm more of a traditional frequent flier.... what can Southwest really do for me? not much. A cattle call isn't going to make me less stressed about traveling. They aren't increasing options, but overall decreasing options.

The other thing I'm also noticing is many of Southwest's routes for Atlanta are to large destinations, which already have direct competition from other mainstream airlines that operate hubs.

Ignoring SW/Airtran, we have domestic direct competition for routes between Atlanta and: NYC, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Seattle, Miami, Denver, Ft. Lauderdale, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Phoenix

So when you look at Southwest destinations: "Austin, Baltimore, Chicago-Midway, Denver, Houston-Hobby, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Louisville, Norfolk, Orlando, Phoenix, San Francisco
Seasonal: Seattle/Tacoma" (sorry I did the easy wikipedia thing)

I come to several conclusions: 1) These were already Airtran routes 2) Just under half the routes already have direct non-stop competition...and they are the larger routes 3) They are decreasing the number of smaller destinations served by Airtran that need a small hub to survive as routes.

Of course there is no large southwest effect for Atlanta overall.

I think we would have been better off is Airtran could have continued to exist, but we had a surplus of gates in a new south gate concourse for any new airline that wanted to fly into ATL, so they wouldn't have to buy out an airline to enter the market.
Agree completely. The news underwhelms entirely; I was hoping for much more.

They've basically ruined AirTran. None of my coworkers bother with it anymore. Figuring out which airline flies during which time slots is annoying, and Delta generally matches fares anyways. Plus there's no first class, obviously, so gaining status is pointless.

Really makes you wonder who has been in charge of this whole merger process. Seems slow and bumbling to say the least. AirTran, rather bizarrely, continues to add random routes in other parts of the country.

The only good thing they've done is add Louisville. We did a project there in 2011/2012 and generally paid $900-$1000 for a r/t. Now that SW flies there Delta has dropped fares dramatically. If they could just now add Nashville I'd be all set, since we've got a project there this year and late r/t tickets are nearly a grand. I just rent a car and drive as it is, but that gets me no Skymiles.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 PM

4,255 posts, read 2,840,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
The more and more I look into this I just don't think Southwest will ever be all that great for Atlanta. They are replacing another budget airline that served us -great- with more destinations and a small hub. That will always be hard to beat for a budget airlines that only offers point to point service on only the busiest traveled routes.

I think I'm more of a traditional frequent flier.... what can Southwest really do for me? not much. A cattle call isn't going to make me less stressed about traveling. They aren't increasing options, but overall decreasing options.
This is the way I look at it. I was a frequent flier for many years, and AirTran was my go-to airline. I had great status, got upgrades, free bags, etc. With SouthWest? I can get a decent seat if I either pay extra, or check in really early. I have no interest in the cattle-call seating process. I switched to Delta. I will fly SouthWest on the rare occasion that it serves me well, but no interest in day-to-day travel.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:35 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,428,182 times
Quote:

Commercial airline pilots don't make as much as you might think (some do but most don't). I listened to a piece on NPR a long time ago that was talking about this. Taco Bell managers make more than these pilots in a lot of cases.

Some airlines pay their pilots as low as 16,000-24,000/year.

The good news is that Southwest is actually the best paying airline with a first year minimum salary of $49,572 though they typically hire more experienced pilots than the other airlines do according to this source.

Airline Pilot Salaries: How Much Does Your Captain Earn? - The Middle Seat Terminal - WSJ

Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 PM

924 posts, read 1,131,477 times
Too bad the announcement wasn't that they were giving up on the Airtran merger and letting us just have Airtran back.....

Old 02-14-2013, 12:10 PM

28,178 posts, read 24,730,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Commercial airline pilots don't make as much as you might think (some do but most don't). I listened to a piece on NPR a long time ago that was talking about this. Taco Bell managers make more than these pilots in a lot of cases.

Some airlines pay their pilots as low as 16,000-24,000/year.
All right, I take back my huzzahs. I was thinking all these pilots might be a good thing for our area but perhaps it's no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or