Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:26 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times

Advertisements

No there are no articles attached to this. However I just want to say that I think Atlanta is one of the best cities to start and establish your career in. When I left Atlanta, I really realized that young people I run into everyday would be better served coming to the East Coast. Here on the West Coast, I think younger people are constantly edged out of the market, and only a small % get certain jobs. I know where I live now, it would be a horrid place to start a career. I started my career in Atlanta in 1999 and after almost 15 years I'm well established. I can compete to some degree in any city now. But I have to admit, Atlanta was the Launchpad of my career

Last edited by branh0913; 01-27-2013 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: mispelled title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 07:53 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,762 times
I must say that I agree with you. Although I was working as a middle manager in Mississippi, upon being laid-off, relocated, and current income.... I'm making almost double working in the same field out here today. Relocating was a good option for me. Never wanted to come here, always wanted to return to New Orleans but I'm glad I made this choice.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:03 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
No there are no articles attached to this. However I just want to say that I think Atlanta is one of the best cities to start and establish your career in. When I left Atlanta, I really realized that young people I run into everyday would be better served coming to the East Coast. Here on the West Coast, I think younger people are constantly edged out of the market, and only a small % get certain jobs. I know where I live now, it would be a horrid place to start a career. I started my career in Atlanta in 1999 and after almost 15 years I'm well established. I can compete to some degree in any city now. But I have to admit, Atlanta was the Launchpad of my career
Ditto, how ironic, I moved to Atlanta in 1999 from San Diego, I served in the Marine Corp. I started off with a temp job, and was hired in the year of 2000. My Salary has more than double since leaving San Diego. I love this City of Atlanta, and it has done very well for me. Atlanta has a lot of hidden potential if you work hard.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Ditto, how ironic, I moved to Atlanta in 1999 from San Diego, I served in the Marine Corp. I started off with a temp job, and was hired in the year of 2000. My Salary has more than double since leaving San Diego. I love this City of Atlanta, and it has done very well for me. Atlanta has a lot of hidden potential if you work hard.

Bingo, emphasis on hard work! You have to really grind it in Atlanta, but it definitely has a lot of reward when you do. I think a lot of people who has come to Atlanta lately aren't willing to pull out all the stops when it comes to succeeding. I know when my mother moved me to ATL when I was 12, she had tried EVERYTHING in Kansas City to get ahead, and couldn't. Tried the same amount of hard work in Atlanta, and was able to get somewhere. I think people really underate Atlanta and how great of a city it is for young professionals.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:21 PM

119 posts, read 181,827 times
Agreed! If you're in the right industry, Atlanta is a great place to your career.

When I graduated from Georgia Tech, I was able to get on at IBM's interactive group. Then went to Turner Broadcasting and got a lot of exposure and responsibility early.

Then I was able to get a job out in Silicon Valley with a higher paying job and responsibility than if I went straight out there.

Atlanta gets a lot of respect in the corporate world, so it's definitely a good starting point.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,964 times
I like the responses, good stuff here. I think ATL is a good place to start for many reasons, one is the lower cost of living than in other areas of the country. I think some of it depends on you and what you want to do, but ATL is a good place to start for many.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:14 PM

163 posts, read 431,386 times
I'm 20 years into my career, and moved here for a new job, with another company, from metro NYC. So, I don't know about starting a career, but it's working out for me on the "continuing" end. I'm making more here than I was in NYC, the job and company are better, and I love the weather. So far, so good!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,141 times
This thread makes me feel good about moving to Atlanta. I'm 24 and just graduated from Graduate school and I'm relocating to the Atlanta area for an engineering job. Seems like I made the right decision in choosing this placement.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:09 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,588 times
I havent left yet...started in wireless engineering in 2004....stuck it out. It's been bumpy, but the cost of living is reasonable, quality of life is high, and the paycheck is commensurate with value I bring. I also am able to own a home here (not cause its a good investment but because I like my own house).

Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 PM

Wow, I got some great responses here. But I do think the Tech level is a little hire out in Silicon Valley and here in Seattle. While I could have had a similar job in Atlanta as I have here in Seattle, I think Seattle is filled with more of the high end level of the tech industry. But I think if I ever return to Atlanta, my skills in Seattle would go even further in Atlanta. But I could have never imagined starting my career in Seattle, it's a steep hill to climb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: