U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 PM

110 posts, read 122,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
jeez, i need to go into janitorial science. seriously though, since most of the bathrooms at the stations are shut down, it could be that there's only two or three guys that barely get in 40 hours a week.

I have never seen these janitors whenever I used Marta, and as you said, the bathrooms are always closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 02:52 AM

3,967 posts, read 4,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_GUY View Post
I have never seen these janitors whenever I used Marta, and as you said, the bathrooms are always closed.
which is why i'm thinking the $27/hour figure might be skewed. for example, if there's one lead janitor that coordinates all the other janitors who makes $50,000 a year, and there's three others that make $10 an hour, you might be able to come up with the $27/hour figure. either way, there's not enough janitors and the marta operation is inefficient. it needs to be outsourced.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 AM

3,410 posts, read 8,492,639 times
It's not a bad idea. I've been saying it for a few years now. Privatization can improve the quality of service, and the quality of trains, buses, and stations. The fares will be more expensive, but you'll get what you pay for.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:54 AM

22,193 posts, read 16,201,271 times
Quote:
Terminal and transfer stations have bathrooms open 4am-7pm. I see the janitors at Five Points everyday.
I like the idea of privatizing some functions of agency, but not the whole thing. Let Keith Parker do his thing and keep this idea as Plan B.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:16 AM

985 posts, read 1,431,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Terminal and transfer stations have bathrooms open 4am-7pm. I see the janitors at Five Points everyday.
I like the idea of privatizing some functions of agency, but not the whole thing. Let Keith Parker do his thing and keep this idea as Plan B.
Has anyone considered that 27 per hour is a gross number, meaning it includes benefits and payroll taxes. If so, that would explain it. I'm sure as a MARTA janitor you would do better than say a private contractor, but let's put things in perspective. Why can't Janitors make a living wage, or anyone else for that matter?

Old 02-11-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Has anyone considered that 27 per hour is a gross number, meaning it includes benefits and payroll taxes. If so, that would explain it. I'm sure as a MARTA janitor you would do better than say a private contractor, but let's put things in perspective. Why can't Janitors make a living wage, or anyone else for that matter?
The same reason factory workers shouldn't, the media tells us that only college-educated people should be middle class.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:49 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junimar View Post
I'm not saying you're wrong, but do you have a citation? It seems unlikely considering (1) MARTA is funded by sales taxes, and (2) considering that both DeKalb and Atlanta's three major business districts probably collect much of those taxes.
I meant 2/3 of the suburban Fulton contribution. The distribution I've seen is 85/15. The exact numbers are hard to find because they are politically incorrect.

Office Depot has 6 stores in North Fulton, but none in South Fulton. Staples has 5 stores in North Fulton, but only one in South Fulton.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
I meant 2/3 of the suburban Fulton contribution. The distribution I've seen is 85/15. The exact numbers are hard to find because they are politically incorrect.

Office Depot has 6 stores in North Fulton, but none in South Fulton. Staples has 5 stores in North Fulton, but only one in South Fulton.
How many offices are there in South Fulton, which has a lower population and density than North Fulton?

Old 02-11-2013, 01:25 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How many offices are there in South Fulton, which has a lower population and density than North Fulton?
Not sure, but this is just another argument in favor of North Fulton making important decisions. Office Depot and Staples executives are acutely motivated to make profits, and they know where the money is.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Not sure, but this is just another argument in favor of North Fulton making important decisions. Office Depot and Staples executives are acutely motivated to make profits, and they know where the money is.
What does the number of OD and Staples have to do with anything? I assumed all executives are motivated to make profits, except for AIG, Lahmen Brothers and Goldman-Sachs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or