U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:16 PM

985 posts, read 1,432,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
MARTA is going to save money on the deal. That is the bottom line. No non-government organization would pay $27 an hour for services it can get for half the cost because of "the human cost." If a private service provider profits a little too, so be it. Someone is willing to do the job for less, and it will help bring MARTA's large operating deficits down. If a janitor is operating near the poverty line, so be it. Get a skill set that allows you to be more than just a janitor. Harsh, maybe, but there are winners and losers in life. If all you can do effectively to add value to society is move a broom, than $10 an hour is your value to society.
Dude 10 dollars an hour gets you on medicaid, and the price service profits a lot, not a little. The only people working these janitor jobs are undocumented workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,614,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Dude 10 dollars an hour gets you on medicaid, and the price service profits a lot, not a little. The only people working these janitor jobs are undocumented workers.
Who works all of those fast food jobs for $7.55 an hour? They don't look illegal to me.

It isn't a great quality of life, but it is money in the pocket each month at $10 an hour. I bet if they opened up 50 positions and advertised them at $10 an hour, they'd get 500 applications in a month. If no one applies, then boost it to $11 an hour and so forth. However, that would not be the case.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:27 PM

3,970 posts, read 4,570,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Ok, just read the report. The source number is on page 78. It's not a hourly wage cost not wage rate. So now that we have some basis of comparison, let's have an honest discussion. Marta cost is 27.55 and the Vendor cost is 18.86, which according the study could save MARTA 30-50mm over 5 years. Sounds good, right. Now, let's think about the human cost.

The 27.55 that MARTA is paying is going directly to the employee, since there is no incentive to profit off of labor. The Vendor is only going to do this to turn a profit, so they will pay $10.00 and hour and pocket the difference(8.66). This basically is a scam to get a few people rich at the expense of working class folks, the exact problem with America today. Sure it saves MARTA and tax payers money on paper, but we all lose as a society. The former employees now have to operate in a 10 dollar world, which is basically Government assistance.

Don't get me wrong, some of this stuff needs to be outsourced, specifically correct the absenteeism, the accounting functions and call centers.
i don't think that's an accurate statement. since it doesn't give a wage rate, we have no idea what marta's doing. it could be that the person is getting paid $10 an hour, but the insurance, health care, etc. adds up to $27/hour. the fact that the vendor's rate is $18/hour rather than minimum wage tells me there's a lot of costs in there that aren't hourly wage.

besides, your statement about the vendor pocketing the difference is unfounded— marta looked around for the best offer for janitorial services, their cost was probably the cheapest they could find, and it's "wage cost", not "total cost per person". there probably is some profit that the company will get, but it wouldn't be factored in "wage cost".

Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 PM

4,957 posts, read 4,006,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
It's not a bad idea. I've been saying it for a few years now. Privatization can improve the quality of service, and the quality of trains, buses, and stations. The fares will be more expensive, but you'll get what you pay for.
Wait, what? Just wondering, how would privatization raise fares?

Old 02-12-2013, 03:26 AM

3,411 posts, read 8,496,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Wait, what? Just wondering, how would privatization raise fares?
Because when a transit system is fully privatized, it is no longer funded by tax dollars. It is funded by revenue generated from fares and other services that the company is usually combined with (such as consessions sold in the stations, and retail). Therefore, the fares will likely be higher in order to get more revenue.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:04 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,310,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Awww yes...another one of these "North Fulton pays for everything" posts. Christ, there is new person every generation who has been indoctrinated with this logic.

No need for me to get wordy as I am done hitting my head against the wall dealing with this constant regurgitation of "South Fulton/South Dekalb is full of takers" mantra.

I'll just repost this piece by GSU Professor Tim Crimmins.

The Rise of Milton County – GSU Magazine
Sorry, but I own property in S. Fulton & S. DeKalb and will tell you the taxes on properties in those areas are very low.

S. Fulton does receive more than what it puts into the pot. If S. Fulton were to be separate from City of Atlanta & N. Fulton they would have to raise the mill rate or up the appraisals.

Oh and a college professor wrote a liberal article. Wow, I am so surprised. You complain about everything in GA but fail to recognize in a "liberal" state like Massachusetts they have over 300 school systems. The more local the system is the more of a community it is going to be.

Many people who live in N. Fulton only go to S. Fulton for the airport. And I would not be surprised if there are people who live in S. Fulton who have only driven through N. Fulton.

Just face it S. Fulton knows their taxes would be higher without N. Fulton, and that is why they do not want to break off. S. Fulton could economically support itself if residents would shop more in S. Fulton. Look at how great Camp Creek does. It shows if the right stores are put in there is the money there to support them. The healthcare situation down there does need to be improved with the closing of SW ATL Hospital. There is spending power in S. Fulton. Retailers just have to recognize it more. I invest in commercial real estate and I have seen how hard it is to get retailers to come to a majority black shopping center(even if the income of the area is above average). Is it racism? Yes.

And by the way I would never live up in Milton County. Sandy Springs/Dunwoody is the farthest north I would ever consider(And I also would not live outside of Fulton or DeKalb).

Old 02-12-2013, 08:25 AM

985 posts, read 1,432,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i don't think that's an accurate statement. since it doesn't give a wage rate, we have no idea what marta's doing. it could be that the person is getting paid $10 an hour, but the insurance, health care, etc. adds up to $27/hour. the fact that the vendor's rate is $18/hour rather than minimum wage tells me there's a lot of costs in there that aren't hourly wage.

besides, your statement about the vendor pocketing the difference is unfounded— marta looked around for the best offer for janitorial services, their cost was probably the cheapest they could find, and it's "wage cost", not "total cost per person". there probably is some profit that the company will get, but it wouldn't be factored in "wage cost".
I agree, if you read my original post I made the same claim. I made that comparison just for sake of apple to apples, however we all know we are missing information. My point was that the vendor hourly rate is lower because they don't provide living wages, becaue a lot of the out source cleaning jobs go to undocumented workers.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:44 AM

4,957 posts, read 4,006,376 times
Quote:
Because when a transit system is fully privatized, it is no longer funded by tax dollars. It is funded by revenue generated from fares and other services that the company is usually combined with (such as consessions sold in the stations, and retail). Therefore, the fares will likely be higher in order to get more revenue.
Wow, so, just to break even, it'd have to hit the riders even harder.

OK, I am against privatizing MARTA. Maybe outsource some of its services, but not the whole entity.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:15 AM

9,579 posts, read 8,655,207 times
Quote:
You could be correct; however, it could be that a private company takes over the operation of a public asset, which remains a public asset. The private company simply has an agreement with the government entity to operate the asset. In that case, public money would still likely be used to pay the operating company. This is often the case with toll roads, public parking lots and the like.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:18 AM

9,929 posts, read 6,926,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Wow, so, just to break even, it'd have to hit the riders even harder.

OK, I am against privatizing MARTA. Maybe outsource some of its services, but not the whole entity.
They are not going to fully privatize MARTA. You can also just privatize / outsource some departments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or