U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:39 PM

28,233 posts, read 24,830,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Hang on a minute. What ARE the population numbers for North Fulton and South Fulton? Does anyone know?
About 350,000 in North Fulton and 250,000 in South Fulton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 11:59 PM

110 posts, read 123,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Arjay, it's simple. Quite a few blacks never let an opportunity to scream racism slip by no matter how inane. Why? Because it has been so successful in the past. So successful that anyone of note, of color, that is slain on the job gets a holiday and a whole month of history devoted to them.

ANYTHING doesn't go there way and that racism card is pulled out faster than a crumpled condom on a Friday night with some willing drunk chick in Buckhead..

Imagine having a national holiday named after the Kennedy's? They both got clipped, fought for civil rights and not a word about THAT holiday is spoken....and noooooooo one cares mostly because everyone hates Joe Kennedy (and perhaps, rightfully so).

Imagine a Irish history month....oh the humanity! And yet, by historical accounts, they climbed out of gutter?

How about Italian history month? Wang Chung history month?

Why? No way blacks are going to let ANYONE share that hinder, government STH up handouts and set asides. No way Jose......wait, what about Spanish history month? There are roughly 4x as many Hispanics here than African Americans and what, no holidays?

How about the Indians (feather, not dot)? Talk about getting screwed! Whoa! If ANYONE deserves a break, they do. Everything got swiped from them. Just a fact.....you know homies...keeping' it reeeeeeaaaaalllllllll

Yeah.....bet....Arite! Owt dis
what world do you live in? Never heard of gay pride month, Hispanic, Irish, etc? Columbus was seen as a terrorist by the Natives of this country, yet he even is remembered. What is your point? Are you saying there isn't any racism? Calm down, man, they weren't even arguing but having a good conversation. Sounds like you have some anger in you from what I can gather. And by the way, from reading what you just wrote, one could conclude that you're a racist. Not saying you are, but it could be taken that way.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 PM

4,992 posts, read 4,030,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Wow, then there is indeed something wrong with giving North Fulton two reps but South Fulton only 1.

A MUCH more nearly fair ratio would be 3:2, but even that tilts the balance somewhat in favor of the North.

(Damn, this sounds like the freakin' Civil War with the roles reversed...well, sorta.)

Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 PM

28,233 posts, read 24,830,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Wow, then there is indeed something wrong with giving North Fulton two reps but South Fulton only 1.

A MUCH more nearly fair ratio would be 3:2, but even that tilts the balance somewhat in favor of the North.

(Damn, this sounds like the freakin' Civil War with the roles reversed...well, sorta.)
Well, politics (like much of life) is the art of creating productive alliances and compromises. Maybe South Fulton can cozy up to the COA -- between the two of them they'll have 4 reps and can easily crush North Fulton.

North Fulton will still be overwhelmed by the rest of the county but at least they'll finally have some voice in MARTA.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:34 PM

3,988 posts, read 4,592,126 times
i find it amusing that everyone thinks i'm black because i know racism when i see it.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 AM

9,965 posts, read 6,968,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
This depends, of course, where you draw the line. Are you calling North Fulton just the old Milton County? North of Buckhead? North of Midtown? North of downtown? North of I-20?

The redistricting map is really only talking about the old Milton County which is about 150,000 out of Fulton County's 950,000.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:24 AM

22,260 posts, read 16,304,895 times
Quote:
Maybe South Fulton can cozy up to the COA -- between the two of them they'll have 4 reps and can easily crush North Fulton.
Why is it South Fulton vs North Fulton? They are the same county, but 2 different demographics. Why does COA and South Fulton need to team up to compete against North Fulton?

Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,662,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
This depends, of course, where you draw the line. Are you calling North Fulton just the old Milton County? North of Buckhead? North of Midtown? North of downtown? North of I-20?

The redistricting map is really only talking about the old Milton County which is about 150,000 out of Fulton County's 950,000.
Also if Atlanta has it's own votes we need to know the populations of north and south Fulton that are outside city limits. Right? It seems to me like city limits on the north and south sides would have to be used here if Atlanta is considered separate and has it's own votes.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Also if Atlanta has it's own votes we need to know the populations of north and south Fulton that are outside city limits. Right? It seems to me like city limits on the north and south sides would have to be used here if Atlanta is considered separate and has it's own votes.
Atlanta is still part of Fulton county just as Alpharetta. It is covered by districts just as any other part of the county. Some of those may over lap with the city more than others.

Redistricting proposal for Fulton County’s board of commissioners creates new district, cuts at-large post | SaportaReport

Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM

I have a problem with that the elected officials have control over the boundaries of the districts. Gerrymandering is a bigger problem than it is portrayed as. People should chose who they want to elect instead of elected officials choosing who elects them. District boundaries should be automatically set, I.E. start in the north west corner radiate out in 100 ft squares east and south until you have 1/6th (or whatever number of seats) of the population.

If you look at this case. The well-off typically Democratic in-town district's are being diluted into 3 other districts. This should not be up to elected officials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or