Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 11:55 AM

27 posts, read 38,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
North Fulton pays far more than 2/3 of MARTA's bills, so South Fulton is getting too much of a say in this decision.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but do you have a citation? It seems unlikely considering (1) MARTA is funded by sales taxes, and (2) considering that both DeKalb and Atlanta's three major business districts probably collect much of those taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 12:51 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,961,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junimar View Post
I'm not saying you're wrong, but do you have a citation? It seems unlikely considering (1) MARTA is funded by sales taxes, and (2) considering that both DeKalb and Atlanta's three major business districts probably collect much of those taxes.
^ This. I also have a hard time believing North Fulton pays anywhere near 2/3 of it when you have South Fulton and Dekalb. And is the city of Atlanta separate from "South Fulton?" If so, I don't see the 2/3 claim...

Old 02-09-2013, 01:32 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,587 times
Awww yes...another one of these "North Fulton pays for everything" posts. Christ, there is new person every generation who has been indoctrinated with this logic.

No need for me to get wordy as I am done hitting my head against the wall dealing with this constant regurgitation of "South Fulton/South Dekalb is full of takers" mantra.

I'll just repost this piece by GSU Professor Tim Crimmins.

The Rise of Milton County – GSU Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
North Fulton pays far more than 2/3 of MARTA's bills, so South Fulton is getting too much of a say in this decision.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:12 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junimar View Post
I will go out on a limb and say he is wrong. I am pretty sure Dekalb, Midtown, Buckhead, Perimeter, Downtown, airport easily out weigh the sales tax collected at North Point mall and its surrounding neighborhoods.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:15 PM

110 posts, read 154,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Awww yes...another one of these "North Fulton pays for everything" posts. Christ, there is new person every generation who has been indoctrinated with this logic.

No need for me to get wordy as I am done hitting my head against the wall dealing with this constant regurgitation of "South Fulton/South Dekalb is full of takers" mantra.

I'll just repost this piece by GSU Professor Tim Crimmins.

The Rise of Milton County – GSU Magazine
These are the same ones who say the super wealthy don't get financial aid from the government and the same people who say the poor mooch off of the wealthy; as if it's not the other way around. Can't fix such mentality.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillemeister View Post
I'm aggressively in favor of privatizing MARTA's janitorial service, seeing as the same audit discussed in the article reported MARTA's janitors averaging $27/hour, which is more than many jobs that require a four-year degree. Indeed, there's not much I object to in this proposal, surprising since it originates with Rep. Jacobs, who seems to have no love for MARTA.

One red flag as to his motivations, however, is the two-to-one imbalance of representatives he proposes between North and South Fulton. I rarely if ever cry racism, but this is close to the line.
$27/hour? Wow, most of my friends have college education and they don't even make half of that currently. Janitorial is very important but I didn't realize it paid that much.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:09 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_GUY View Post
$27/hour? Wow, most of my friends have college education and they don't even make half of that currently. Janitorial is very important but I didn't realize it paid that much.
jeez, i need to go into janitorial science. seriously though, since most of the bathrooms at the stations are shut down, it could be that there's only two or three guys that barely get in 40 hours a week.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:10 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,154,529 times
Gonna need to study this further. But at first glance, this seems like a VERY bad idea. There might be some grains of good in here to extract, however, such as privatizing janitorial services.

We need to wait for Keith Parker's ideas before going forward. Methinks all that's going to happen is another suspension of the 50/50 law, which would at least buy him some time.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:48 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_GUY View Post
Only a government run organization could exist with such waste.

And people wonder why a large portion of the metro area is anti-MARTA.

Worse run agency: MARTA or Dekalb County schools?

Old 02-09-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Only a government run organization could exist with such waste.

And people wonder why a large portion of the metro area is anti-MARTA.

Worse run agency: MARTA or Dekalb County schools?
It's funny you just reminded me of my experience recently with Dekalb court and the DMV department. You can't get any of those people to help you in anyway. Asking them to their job and they give you this reaction like "what, you expect me to help you?". It's as if they're just there but not to work. They're too busy talking to their buddies on the next desk about what they were doing last night instead of doing their job. They were jerking me around over the phone and I couldn't get any help. i couldn't go in there personally because I am not there currently so i ended up getting a lawyer, paying the money to him and he took care of it. All this just to simply fix an error they made, not my fault. Again, these employees get a lot of money and they get it from our taxes yet this is what we get in return. I told the last lady I spoke with over the phone that i would just get a lawyer and she can continue to enjoy her lunch break, and they're always on lunch. I think even a government organization could be better managed, but oh well.

If the janitor is getting $27 per hour, what does a train operator make?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta