U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 03:33 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,123,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
HSR is like a mix between flying and driving. People who have flying fright won't be nearly as afraid to travel because they are on ground and it's much faster then driving and you don't use gas. You also get to see the sights(if there are any). Imagine a HSR through the Apps or Rockies or the Sierra Nevada or the California Coastline with the juxtaposition between the mountains and coastline. Beautiful, just Beautiful.
Have you ridden an HSR? I have. You are moving so fast that it gives you a headache looking outside as everything whizzes by. Besides, regular trains already give you this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 04:01 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,598,775 times
Nah, I've only ridden a regular train in China from Beijing to Xi'an. It was a night train too so I didn't really see much.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:18 PM

731 posts, read 645,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I can fly to each of those locations in under an hour and a half for $300 round trip.

I can drive to each of those locations in under 6 hours (Miami and DC excluded) for about $70 round trip.

I can take a bus to each of those locations in under 8 hours (Miami excluded) for even less than that.

Why spend tens of billions (likely hundreds of billions ala California) to build a transportation system that likely won't be heavily utilized given the multiple either faster or cheaper alternatives? What is the HSR benefit that air travel and driving/bus don't provide?
do we honestly have to answer this?

Old 02-10-2013, 05:48 PM

3,966 posts, read 4,562,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
do we honestly have to answer this?
it's a more convenient form of public transit for shorter distances, such as if you're going to greenvile, sc, or charlotte, nc. if you're going to new york, it's interchangable with flying, and if you're going to athens, it's interchangable with driving.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:51 PM

4,945 posts, read 3,997,094 times
Quote:
Awwwww. Can't debate?

The benefits of HSR and local mass transit are very different. You again are showing your ignorance and lack of knowledge with your attempt at snarky humor.

Come back like an adult if you want to talk about the topic.
I do not debate people when they do little more than troll.

To my ignore list you go.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:53 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,612,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
it's a more convenient form of public transit for shorter distances, such as if you're going to greenvile, sc, or charlotte, nc. if you're going to new york, it's interchangable with flying, and if you're going to athens, it's interchangable with driving.
Exactly. How much daily traffic travels between Greenville and Atlanta that could benefit from a multi-billion investment from HSR?

Does that make fiscal sense?

Old 02-10-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post

Can't defend your statements. We get it.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:59 PM

2,124 posts, read 3,394,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post

lol, I see more people are finally getting hip to it.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:12 PM

4,909 posts, read 3,712,042 times
Quote:
Exactly. How much daily traffic travels between Greenville and Atlanta that could benefit from a multi-billion investment from HSR?

Does that make fiscal sense?
Enough when you have people going to Clemson, Spartanburg and Charlotte on the same train. Perhaps even longer, Raleigh, Richmond, Washington D.C.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Enough when you have people going to Clemson, Spartanburg and Charlotte on the same train. Perhaps even longer, Raleigh, Richmond, Washington D.C.
"Enough?" That sounds like a very scientific number. Is that more or less than "a lot" and "some."

Yes... those big metro areas of Clemson and Spartanburg. If you just said Charlotte, you'd have a chance at sounding credible. HSR works in foreign countries because it is fast point to point transportation for large cities that are close to each other. The geography of the US doesn't allow for this except in some isolated areas. Even then, the capital costs of building the rail is cost prohibitive at this point. $100 billion for California's rail line? That is an astronomical cost for a system of that size. At least that system connects huge metro areas and isn't dependent on Clemson and Spartanburg for ridership to justify the expense of building the line.

How do you propose paying for this system? (I can't wait for this answer)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or