U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 09:51 PM

7 posts, read 12,809 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

We are actually looking at several locations in the USA, but it seems that I am in over my head with this decision, so I would appreciate your help!!!
We are a family of three, my husband and myself in the late 30s and our son being 3 years old (4 by the time we move).
I really like what I have read so far about Georgia, what with the nice people and warm weather and lower COL compared to other states.
I would like our son to visit the Kindergarten of a German School or any intl. school with bilingual education, simply because there immersion would be so much easier for him. He is now visiting the Kindergarten of the German School and speaks German really well and also some Greek, as that is his father's language. As for English, he can say "that's just swell" and can imitate the discussion of the pirates regarding the advantages of being a pirate rather well "it's the booty - no, it's the cutlasses" - you get the picture...
There seems to be a good Intl. School in Atlanta, so I am now trying to figure out if that would be the place for us to be.
I would like to live in the suburbs - at least! I am from the countryside and walking has always helped me clear my head. I would really like to keep doing that - is it possible to find any place within 30 minutes driving distance from North Fulton Drive (school location) where I can be in walking distance of maybe 20 minutes from green, open spaces?
As for budget, I think we will have about 150K net and would be looking to rent first and buy a house later.

We will be working mostly from home, so commuting to a work place is not an issue. This is also the reason why we are rather flexible in terms of state (although the language/school issue is narrowing our choices down quite a bit).
That is another subject I'd like to hear your thoughts on - am I overthinking this? Not sure if any American Pre-school would accept a non-English speaking pupil?

Should you have any questions, ask away. Otherwise I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts/comments. Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 12:56 AM

2,490 posts, read 4,556,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostforchoice View Post

I would like our son to visit the Kindergarten of a German School or any intl. school with bilingual education, simply because there immersion would be so much easier for him. He is now visiting the Kindergarten of the German School and speaks German really well and also some Greek, as that is his father's language. As for English, he can say "that's just swell" and can imitate the discussion of the pirates regarding the advantages of being a pirate rather well "it's the booty - no, it's the cutlasses" - you get the picture...
There seems to be a good Intl. School in Atlanta, so I am now trying to figure out if that would be the place for us to be.
I would like to live in the suburbs - at least! I am from the countryside and walking has always helped me clear my head. I would really like to keep doing that - is it possible to find any place within 30 minutes driving distance from North Fulton Drive (school location) where I can be in walking distance of maybe 20 minutes from green, open spaces?
For a German school and for a fantastic park system with lots of green open space I recommend Milwaukee,Wiscosnin.

German Immersion School

German Immersion Foundation

Whitnall park - Google Search

Old 02-10-2013, 01:46 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,555,055 times
before anyone else replies and thinks the international school he was referring to is in alpharetta, i googled the location he was talking about, thinking it was in north fulton— it's not, it's in buckhead.

how "wide open" are you looking for? you'll find that generally the US is a lot less densely populated than europe. whittier mill village, for example, is a small village of old mill houses with by a wide open park where the mill used to be:

nearby there is also the chattahoochee river national recreation area at cochran shoals:

and closer to the international school you listed, there is the tanyard mill creek park:

but if by green open spaces, you mean like this:

you will have to travel a good distance outside the city to find that. (the picture above was taken near cleveland, ga). getting to a school in buckhead everyday while living in an area like the one pictured above, would be a very long commute. the closest area to town i can think of that has cow pastures and such would probably be milton, which is in north fulton (different than north fulton avenue), about 30 miles away from the city, equalling a ~50 minute commute in rush hour.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:45 AM

Thanks so much for your comments and all the information!
I have to admit that the area near Cleveland is what I am dreaming about, however I realize that this is not possible so close to a city. About an hour away isn't too bad though, so I can visit often enough if necessary.
As for everyday needs, the parks and recreational areas mentioned will definitely be perfect. I'll definitely check there for rentals.
My husband is really excited about the idea of living in Georgia; I do not think that I could interest him in Wisconsin as an alternative.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:31 PM

4,240 posts, read 2,818,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
...and closer to the international school you listed, there is the tanyard mill creek park:

Holy crap. When I saw that photo, I pictured some place out in the country, at least several miles outside the perimeter. Who knew that it was less than 10 minutes from my house just outside of midtown? Awesome. I think I will go here!

Old 02-10-2013, 01:57 PM

1,861 posts, read 4,554,426 times
Please keep in mind that the Atlanta International School is one of the most selective schools in the city of Atlanta. Just because you apply does not guarantee acceptance. In the meantime, you should check the Saturday morning German School in case AIS does not work out for you:

German School of Atlanta | Lernvergnügen für alle

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but you need to have a Plan B ready.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:31 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,798,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Please keep in mind that the Atlanta International School is one of the most selective schools in the city of Atlanta. Just because you apply does not guarantee acceptance. In the meantime, you should check the Saturday morning German School in case AIS does not work out for you:

This is very true. Several years ago, a family moved into our neighborhood with the same plan as you. Their child was not admitted to AIS. They went back to Europe the next year.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post

Of course, you are absolutely right! Thanks so much for bringing me back to reality
The whole idea of moving to the US is so exciting, yet so scary that I just got carried away planning where to stay, which school to use etc. It hadn't even crossed my mind that they would not happily admit who ever liked to become a student there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta