U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 PM

22,249 posts, read 16,298,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
There isn't one already, is there?! If there is, I missed the memo - and there are no bus lanes so it would still get stuck in traffic anyway.
No, just an idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 01:23 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,164,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
No, just an idea.
Oh, alright. I thought I had missed something that would be awesome. It's a great idea though! Considering the traffic over there and the large number of people using the 32 for commuting, I could see that as a line that could use a Q in front of it (BRT), as long as bus lanes are added from Turner Field to the Gold Dome.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 PM

7,808 posts, read 11,779,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I think only the newer trains there have those types of seating, and MARTA trains are definitely older than the MTAs newest trains. I would really like to see the moving map like the MTA has on their new trains, where there is a blinking light for the current stop, the lights go off for past stops, and the lights stay lit for future stops. Also, loud, automated voices saying the stops.
I was speaking the layout like this:

Which NYC subway trains have had as long as I remember. The way seating was designed on MARTA was intentionally done so as to give it a more relaxed commuter feel, rather than a typical subway experience that had a bad connotation back in the 1960s and 70s. Plus, I don't think when MARTA was first planned they considered that "crush" level passenger traffic would be a daily occurrence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt
Start making your move the station before yours if the trains are packed like sardines.
Oh trust me, I've been riding MARTA trains pretty much everyday since I was 8 years old. I am well versed in the "pre-exit snaking" required to get out of a window seat. Not that I ever sit in a window seat during rush hour since that would just be mad. I'd rather stand than be stuck in a wedged in position.

Last edited by waronxmas; 02-11-2013 at 02:59 PM..

Old 02-11-2013, 02:42 PM

22,249 posts, read 16,298,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Which NYC subway trains have had as long as I remember. The way seating was designed on MARTA was intentionally done so as to give it a more relaxed commuter feel, rather than a typical subway experience that had a bad connotation back in the 1960s and 70s. Plus, I don't think when MARTA was first planned I don't think they considered that "crush" level passenger traffic would be a daily occurrence.

Oh trust me, I've been riding MARTA trains pretty much everyday since I was 8 years old. I am well versed in the "pre-exit snaking" required to get out of a window seat. Not that I ever sit in a window seat during rush hour since that would just be mad. I'd rather stand than be stuck in a wedged in position.
Or the pre-exit blitz, where you just run over everybody!
I do like the seating configuration on MARTA, allows more of a comfortable ride.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:35 PM

727 posts, read 1,040,186 times
The best way to solve overcrowding is to run more frequent trains.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:21 PM

28,220 posts, read 24,822,352 times
You can spot those fit, relaxed MARTA riders a mile away.

If only the rest us stressed out slobs could be so lucky!

Old 02-11-2013, 06:47 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,164,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Which NYC subway trains have had as long as I remember. The way seating was designed on MARTA was intentionally done so as to give it a more relaxed commuter feel, rather than a typical subway experience that had a bad connotation back in the 1960s and 70s. Plus, I don't think when MARTA was first planned they considered that "crush" level passenger traffic would be
Oh, ok. I thought you meant the newer, smooth seats:

http://www.mta.info/mta/news/release...=100222-NYCT31

Those that you pictured would be a bit better, since they keep you from sliding. But some lines also have what MARTA has. I guess it just depends on when the trains were bought.

Last edited by CCATL; 02-11-2013 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Picture didn't show

Old 02-11-2013, 08:51 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,632,200 times
MARTA trains are actually better then the NYC subway trains and we all know how much of an advocate I am of NYC. The only problem is the super small space in between the seats especially when the trains overcrowd...

Old 02-12-2013, 03:41 AM

3,429 posts, read 8,516,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I think the biggest thing I would complain about is there not being enough seats on MARTA trains. I don't think this is MARTA's fault, the trains seem configured properly, I just don't find it very relaxing to have to stand on a moving train for 30 minutes.

If you can sit down and read a book, that's a lot better. A lot of that depends on when you come and go.
If the seats are full and you have to stand, then that is a sign that there is demand for using transit in Atlanta. I do agree with configuring them to the Japanese style, with cushioned benches and hanging plastic rings.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:43 AM

7,728 posts, read 9,599,672 times
Yeah, they definitely need to install more places to hang on.

The way it is now, grabbing most of the bars results in your armpit being right in someone's face. I think those old school hanging ring things like 1970s NYC subways had would be cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or