Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 03:43 AM

110 posts, read 154,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The gateway drug comment is exactly how it feels. Once you get your first taste of stress-free commuting, you'll never go back. There are all types for people commuting to work on MARTA, suite and ties to fast-food workers. Everyday its quiet and relaxing, but there are times when people are panhandling. Everyone just ignores them and they get off the train.
People always complaining about waiting for the train, but that's why they publish a schedule so riders can arrive a couple minutes before the arrival time and not have to wait so long.
I agree. i have seen people of all ethnic groups, and even foreign visitors on the trains. People in suits, college students, etc. You get the occasional panhandler but they don't bother me. I believe Marta could improve on things but it is decent and it is convenient. When my car broke down, I used MARTA every day to get to work and I was able to keep my job because of that. Now it did take a long time to get to work every day but it good other than that. Never felt unsafe and I even used it late at night. My dream would be for MARTA to operate 24/7 or at least later than it does and for the buses to come more often. I would be the janitor for 10 dollars an hour if that were to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
The best way to solve overcrowding is to run more frequent trains.
yep, that and more buses. I remember getting of the train really late, I think it was the last train, and there must have been at least 35 people waiting on that last bus, which was jammed packed. The bus ended up taking off and that was it. I ended up walking home for over an hour and there were no sidewalks so you can imagine how crazy I was looking to people driving by me. If they had more buses coming frequently, that wouldn't be the case. Because they come less, it makes it so much more crowded since you have so many more people waiting on that one bus.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Yeah, they definitely need to install more places to hang on.

The way it is now, grabbing most of the bars results in your armpit being right in someone's face. I think those old school hanging ring things like 1970s NYC subways had would be cool!
lol been there before. But it was someone else's armpit in my face.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:38 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,729,238 times
Quote:
The best way to solve overcrowding is to run more frequent trains.
That cost money and MARTA is trying to solve its deficit issue, not add more.
Quote:
yep, that and more buses. I remember getting of the train really late, I think it was the last train, and there must have been at least 35 people waiting on that last bus, which was jammed packed. The bus ended up taking off and that was it. I ended up walking home for over an hour and there were no sidewalks so you can imagine how crazy I was looking to people driving by me. If they had more buses coming frequently, that wouldn't be the case. Because they come less, it makes it so much more crowded since you have so many more people waiting on that one bus.
There needs to be a dispatcher that holds departing trains and buses for soon to be arriving, <5 minutes, buses and trains.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,123,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I normally bike to work, but when it rains I either carpool or take the bus/train. I must say, I prefer MARTA even over carpooling because of traffic. Although, I will say, there are certain areas that really need bus only lanes so that mass transit takes priority in traffic. For example, Capitol Ave over I20 straight to the Gold Dome is a traffic mess in the morning, and there is plenty of room for a bus lane over that bridge, that would get plenty of use.

But even with that said, for some reason, the traffic just doesn't seem nearly as stressful on a bus as it does even from the passengers seat of a car.
Well of course not: You're not the one driving. Which means you aren't having to constantly look in front and all around, gauge the upcoming light, deal with the cars next to you, etc. There aren't many decisions to be made while riding, which takes a lot of the stress off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: