U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 AM
 
2,092 posts, read 2,559,578 times
Reputation: 1085

Advertisements

This article contains some of the pros of riding mass transit...


"Michael Burns blows past traffic for half of his commute — it is just the first 30 minutes that can leave him stressed out.

He spends that much time going 10 miles on Georgia 400 to the North Springs MARTA station. That half-hour journey to catch the Red Line to the Peachtree Center station, he said, undercuts almost all the anti-stress benefits of travel by train.

“All it takes is five minutes of 400 to make it bad… you’re going to be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic,” the 37-year-old said. “It gets really stressful when you are two minutes away, people are stuck in the shoulder lane and the train leaves in five minutes.

“Once you’re on the train, it is pretty low stress...”



Transit riders get fit, stay relaxed | www.ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2013, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,159 posts, read 16,157,856 times
Reputation: 4894
The gateway drug comment is exactly how it feels. Once you get your first taste of stress-free commuting, you'll never go back. There are all types for people commuting to work on MARTA, suite and ties to fast-food workers. Everyday its quiet and relaxing, but there are times when people are panhandling. Everyone just ignores them and they get off the train.
People always complaining about waiting for the train, but that's why they publish a schedule so riders can arrive a couple minutes before the arrival time and not have to wait so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 AM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,797 posts, read 11,731,309 times
Reputation: 5394
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
People always complaining about waiting for the train, but that's why they publish a schedule so riders can arrive a couple minutes before the arrival time and not have to wait so long.
Yeah, it always bothers me when people who are oblivious of what the train and bus schedules complain about them "being late". Hmm, did you think to check WHEN your connection was arriving rather than just showing up blindly expecting a bus or train to be there to whisk you away. SMH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 AM
 
7,698 posts, read 9,534,752 times
Reputation: 5662
I think the biggest thing I would complain about is there not being enough seats on MARTA trains. I don't think this is MARTA's fault, the trains seem configured properly, I just don't find it very relaxing to have to stand on a moving train for 30 minutes.

If you can sit down and read a book, that's a lot better. A lot of that depends on when you come and go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 AM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,797 posts, read 11,731,309 times
Reputation: 5394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I think the biggest thing I would complain about is there not being enough seats on MARTA trains. I don't think this is MARTA's fault, the trains seem configured properly, I just don't find it very relaxing to have to stand on a moving train for 30 minutes.

If you can sit down and read a book, that's a lot better. A lot of that depends on when you come and go.
I do agree that we should have NYC style benches on trains rather than the coach style two seaters. It makes it a whole lot easier to get off a busy train if you don't have to navigate stepping over the person sitting next to you first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 11:18 AM
 
Location: City of Atlanta
1,405 posts, read 1,156,357 times
Reputation: 1359
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I do agree that we should have NYC style benches on trains rather than the coach style two seaters. It makes it a whole lot easier to get off a busy train if you don't have to navigate stepping over the person sitting next to you first.
I think only the newer trains there have those types of seating, and MARTA trains are definitely older than the MTAs newest trains. I would really like to see the moving map like the MTA has on their new trains, where there is a blinking light for the current stop, the lights go off for past stops, and the lights stay lit for future stops. Also, loud, automated voices saying the stops.

I think A LOT of people riding MARTA would complain about the row seating, once they realize it limits separation between you and the panhandlers/homeless riding the train. Imagine being on the train on your way to work, leaving the necessary one or two person distance between you and a sleeping homeless person in a row seat, and the train stops short just to have that person slide into your lap. It happens, and it's not always a pleasant experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,159 posts, read 16,157,856 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
I think the biggest thing I would complain about is there not being enough seats on MARTA trains. I don't think this is MARTA's fault, the trains seem configured properly, I just don't find it very relaxing to have to stand on a moving train for 30 minutes.

If you can sit down and read a book, that's a lot better. A lot of that depends on when you come and go.
MARTA trains have more seats than CTA and MTA. The cars are longer and wider than older subway systems.
Don't be afraid to sit next to a stranger, or ask someone to move their crap.
Quote:
I do agree that we should have NYC style benches on trains rather than the coach style two seaters. It makes it a whole lot easier to get off a busy train if you don't have to navigate stepping over the person sitting next to you first.
Start making your move the station before yours if the trains are packed like sardines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 11:22 AM
 
Location: City of Atlanta
1,405 posts, read 1,156,357 times
Reputation: 1359
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
This article contains some of the pros of riding mass transit...
I normally bike to work, but when it rains I either carpool or take the bus/train. I must say, I prefer MARTA even over carpooling because of traffic. Although, I will say, there are certain areas that really need bus only lanes so that mass transit takes priority in traffic. For example, Capitol Ave over I20 straight to the Gold Dome is a traffic mess in the morning, and there is plenty of room for a bus lane over that bridge, that would get plenty of use.

But even with that said, for some reason, the traffic just doesn't seem nearly as stressful on a bus as it does even from the passengers seat of a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,159 posts, read 16,157,856 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I normally bike to work, but when it rains I either carpool or take the bus/train. I must say, I prefer MARTA even over carpooling because of traffic. Although, I will say, there are certain areas that really need bus only lanes so that mass transit takes priority in traffic. For example, Capitol Ave over I20 straight to the Gold Dome is a traffic mess in the morning, and there is plenty of room for a bus lane over that bridge, that would get plenty of use.

But even with that said, for some reason, the traffic just doesn't seem nearly as stressful on a bus as it does even from the passengers seat of a car.
Capital Ave BRT route!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 12:14 PM
 
Location: City of Atlanta
1,405 posts, read 1,156,357 times
Reputation: 1359
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Capital Ave BRT route!
There isn't one already, is there?! If there is, I missed the memo - and there are no bus lanes so it would still get stuck in traffic anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top