U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 PM

4,949 posts, read 3,998,611 times

Advertisements

Wow that's a lot of foot traffic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 08:24 AM
JPD

11,871 posts, read 14,483,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post

BTW, I know you were talking about a different interchange, but the "no left turns at certain times of the day" sign at Boulevard and Edgewood is right next to the traffic light. I.e., if someone misses that, they weren't even paying attention.
This is incorrect. At the intersection I was talking about (Boulevard/Edgewood, heading towards I-20 on Boulevard) there is only one NO LEFT TURN sign, and it is over a right lane which is right turn only. Actually, it is not over any lane. It is over the sidewalk. That fails to meet MUTCD requirements.

From your own link, page 61:

B. The No Left Turn (or No U-Turn or combination No U-Turn/No Left Turn) sign should be installed
adjacent to a signal face viewed by road users in the left-hand lane.

It's worth noting that ALL of the other intersections on that stretch of Boulevard have adequate signage, but none of them have cops hiding and waiting for illegal turns except for the one with inadequate signage.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:30 AM

4,245 posts, read 2,828,753 times
At the 5-points intersection, there is only one place where you could turn then use the guidelines to say that the signage is incorrect. All the other turns are marked correctly. The one in question is turning left from northbound Peachtree onto Edgewood. There is a sign, but it's lower on the pole, and not by the traffic signal (at least in Google Street view...might have been changed by now).

I got a ticket the day I got the new license plate for my new car turning right on some street downtown. I didn't even have a license plate on the car. I had to hand it to the officer. I thought that's why he had pulled me over. D'oh.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 PM

28,150 posts, read 24,687,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Urbanist View Post
I wonder what it's going to be like when streetcar construction comes to the part of Edgewood Avenue that's a block away from Five Points. We'll find out in a few weeks.

It does my history-loving heart good to read complaints about Five Points. Dealing with the struggle of moving through that intersection is an Atlanta tradition from way back. Here it is in 1925:
Great photo!

One of the reasons people were glad to see the old streetcars go is that they created a traffic nightmare. Hopefully our modern technology will alleviate that.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:22 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,003,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'm not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice, but you might want to compare the signage at that intersection with the Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices. It's possible the signage is inadequate and if it is, you can plead not guilty and beat this ticket in court.

Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) - FHWA

There's a cop that sits on Edgewood Ave. just about every afternoon, waiting for people to turn left onto Edgewood from Boulevard. He's probably written hundreds, if not thousands, of tickets for this offense. The signage at that intersection does not meet the standards set out in the MUTCD, and his tickets will not hold up in court if they are challenged by citing the MUTCD. (Unless the judge is crooked, which is a possibility.)
There is usually someone in the morning ticketing people who turn left from (northbound) Boulevard onto (westbound) Edgewood. Been nabbed there myself. You you can't make the turn there, but a can a couple blocks farther up where traffic is just as bad, escapes me.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:16 PM

22,178 posts, read 16,186,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
There is usually someone in the morning ticketing people who turn left from (northbound) Boulevard onto (westbound) Edgewood. Been nabbed there myself. You you can't make the turn there, but a can a couple blocks farther up where traffic is just as bad, escapes me.
Probably has to do that there is only 1 thru lane and people waiting to turn left would block lots of cars and major bus routes.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:21 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,003,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Probably has to do that there is only 1 thru lane and people waiting to turn left would block lots of cars and major bus routes.
There are two through lanes. You can make a left 2 blocks farther north, and have the same impact to traffic flow.

Noni's Bar & Deli, Edgewood Avenue Southeast, Atlanta, GA - Google Maps

Old 02-13-2013, 02:45 PM

6,379 posts, read 4,533,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
that's called 'five points'.
LOL...isnt that where Atlanta started?

Old 09-08-2014, 12:11 PM

16 posts, read 27,286 times
First day on our first trip to Atlanta, got turned around trying to find our hotel and made a right-hand turn on green at this intersection. An officer was already there ticketing someone else so he had us get in line. Not saying we shouldn't have been ticketed but, given the circumstances and a spotless (until now) driving record, a little southern hospitality and a warning would have been nice.

He left before us but I'm 100% positive he circled the block to get back to his cash cow.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:36 PM
JPD

11,871 posts, read 14,483,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Larch View Post

He left before us but I'm 100% positive he circled the block to get back to his cash cow.
Yeah, the motorcycle cop waits under the awning of the Olympia Building. I see him pull someone over every time I drive through there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or