U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 PM

4,941 posts, read 3,989,015 times

Advertisements

A word of caution to anyone who drives downtown: If you pass through the intersection where Peachtree Street, Decatur Road, Marietta Street, and Edgewood all come together, there are "NO TURN" signs all over the place. Only a select few turns are allowed there at all. And let me tell you, the cops are all over that. People get pulled over constantly for disobeying the "NO TURN" signs. Consider yourself warned!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 09:14 PM

655 posts, read 982,394 times
Lol, they sure are. I used to pick my gf up from class at Gsu, and everyday I would see someone getting pulled over. Obey the law.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:20 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,553,693 times
that's called 'five points'.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 AM

254 posts, read 291,756 times
Yeah I got a ticket for it the other day..... ugh. I wish I'd seen this beforehand.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:47 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjared View Post
Yeah I got a ticket for it the other day..... ugh. I wish I'd seen this beforehand.
There are signs hanging from the traffic poles.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:19 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,459,174 times
I'm not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice, but you might want to compare the signage at that intersection with the Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices. It's possible the signage is inadequate and if it is, you can plead not guilty and beat this ticket in court.

Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) - FHWA

There's a cop that sits on Edgewood Ave. just about every afternoon, waiting for people to turn left onto Edgewood from Boulevard. He's probably written hundreds, if not thousands, of tickets for this offense. The signage at that intersection does not meet the standards set out in the MUTCD, and his tickets will not hold up in court if they are challenged by citing the MUTCD. (Unless the judge is crooked, which is a possibility.)

Old 02-12-2013, 08:46 PM

254 posts, read 291,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There are signs hanging from the traffic poles.
Great insight. Because obviously I didn't realize that after I was pulled over..

Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 PM

4,941 posts, read 3,989,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'm not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice, but you might want to compare the signage at that intersection with the Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices. It's possible the signage is inadequate and if it is, you can plead not guilty and beat this ticket in court.

Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) - FHWA

There's a cop that sits on Edgewood Ave. just about every afternoon, waiting for people to turn left onto Edgewood from Boulevard. He's probably written hundreds, if not thousands, of tickets for this offense. The signage at that intersection does not meet the standards set out in the MUTCD, and his tickets will not hold up in court if they are challenged by citing the MUTCD. (Unless the judge is crooked, which is a possibility.)
That, or people could simply read the signs (which are right next to the lights themselves).

EDIT: Found this:

Quote:
If turn prohibition signs are installed in conjunction with traffic control signals:
A NO TURNS sign should be placed adjacent to a signal face viewed by all road users on that approach,
or two signs should be used.
That criteron is met, so the sign has the full force of the law.

BTW, I know you were talking about a different interchange, but the "no left turns at certain times of the day" sign at Boulevard and Edgewood is right next to the traffic light. I.e., if someone misses that, they weren't even paying attention.

I think that is a major cause of driving mistakes around here--people not paying attention to the road signs. It's why you see people cut across multiple lanes of traffic at the last second so they won't miss their exit, and it's why they ignore a "NO TURNS" sign that is as plain as day.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 PM

4,908 posts, read 3,704,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
That, or people could simply read the signs (which are right next to the lights themselves).
Or they could get rid of useless signs maybe?

Old 02-12-2013, 09:30 PM

165 posts, read 269,011 times
I wonder what it's going to be like when streetcar construction comes to the part of Edgewood Avenue that's a block away from Five Points. We'll find out in a few weeks.

It does my history-loving heart good to read complaints about Five Points. Dealing with the struggle of moving through that intersection is an Atlanta tradition from way back. Here it is in 1925:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or