U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 10:23 PM

5,810 posts, read 4,566,087 times

Advertisements

Milton County fight back before Georgia Legislature

Milton County fight back before Georgia Legislature - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,602,606 times
And this is why Georgia has one million different counties. Everyone wants to govern their own land.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 PM

5,810 posts, read 4,566,087 times
I doubt this will get far, Georgia has a constitutional amendment forbidding the formation of new counties and school districts. Plus I doubt Gov Deal would want to deal with the political headache this would cause him and republicans.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:56 PM

924 posts, read 1,130,464 times
How about they merge North Fulton with Cherokee, Cobb, or Forsyth and South Fulton with Dekalb and/or Clayton? That way we actually get less counties and both areas fit in better with the new counties.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:19 AM

3,967 posts, read 4,565,309 times
this is retarded. north fulton is already changing rapidly in terms of demographics. these dimwits need to move out of the county if they don't like it. the fight is over, they lost.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:55 AM

6,915 posts, read 9,604,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
How about they merge North Fulton with Cherokee, Cobb, or Forsyth and South Fulton with Dekalb and/or Clayton? That way we actually get less counties and both areas fit in better with the new counties.
I agree wholeheartedly. Fulton County is the most unwieldy of all Georgia counties. North Fulton separated by the city of Atlanta from south Fulton is as incongruous as can be. A school district separated by the states largest city. It is completely inefficient.

I am sure with North Fulton completely incorporated into one city or another, the desire for being a seperate county is so that Milton can start its own school district. I think the powers that be feel that Milton could be rechartered since it was once a county and the legislature (or courts) would bend on the 159 rule before they would allow a school system be established within a current county.

Is there really any other reason for this area to be a separate county? Since I come on here and bash the county system in Georgia (too many, too small, too many duplication of services that should be done by cities only), I like this proposal to merge with one of the neighboring northern counties. Forsyth probably makes the most sense in terms of geography and demographics.

However, South Fulton is not contiguous with DeKalb at any point. Would need to be Clayton most likely. Don't think Fayette or Coweta would want South Fulton. Douglas might be an option, geography wise they mirror each other on opposite banks of the Chattahoochee.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:05 AM

Another thought: If for some reason, the state did allow Milton to recharter itself, why wouldn't they be forced to go back to their original boundaries? Sandy Springs was NOT part of Milton County. Not the whole of Roswell now, but the original town of Roswell was formerly in Cobb County and was ceded to allow Milton and Fulton to connect. The Dunwoody panhandle of Fulton which is now a part of the city of Sandy Springs was originally in DeKalb and was given to Fulton for the same reason Roswell went from Cobb to Fulton. Milton did not have a border with Fulton prior.

Last edited by Saintmarks; 02-12-2013 at 01:19 AM..

Old 02-12-2013, 01:07 AM

Old 02-12-2013, 01:14 AM

Looking at the map above, here is my plan: Give the city of Roswell to Cobb, city of Milton to Cherokee and Alpharetta and Johns Creek to Forsyth. Let the remainder of Fulton and Dekalb merge into one and consolidate as one Greater Atlanta with boroughs of the existing cities and neighborhoods. Let further out areas of south Fulton and southeast DeKalb go to Coweta and Rockdale respectively if they want.

Elect me governor and I will get this done!

Old 02-12-2013, 06:32 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,809,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
this is retarded. north fulton is already changing rapidly in terms of demographics. these dimwits need to move out of the county if they don't like it. the fight is over, they lost.
I don't think this has a chance in h*ll of happening but you are a bit off on the demographic issue. Race certainly won't define how folks in N. Fulton feel about this issue, for the most part. It will be related to quality of life issues and economic ones.

If the perception is Fulton County is poorly run and that the schools would be better/stronger in a Milton County, support will be strong. Don't underestimate the school system concerns-- and a huge percentage of folks of all races who live up there moved there for the schools.

Just because it could pass the state legislature (And I don't think it will even do that), doesn't mean it has a chance to pass a state wide vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or