U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-15-2013, 12:48 PM

22 posts, read 19,353 times
Default What are the nice towns and the crappy ones?

If I were thinking of moving to the Atlanta suburbs, or somewhere in GA, and wanted a decent area, where would be good? I was told Loganville in Gwinnet Co is good. I'd like a place that's out in the country, with a few acres. Does that exist in GA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 01:02 PM

7,162 posts, read 3,779,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives View Post
If I were thinking of moving to the Atlanta suburbs, or somewhere in GA, and wanted a decent area, where would be good? I was told Loganville in Gwinnet Co is good. I'd like a place that's out in the country, with a few acres. Does that exist in GA?
Its all relative to what's crappy and nice.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:20 PM

563 posts, read 299,879 times
If you feel like you can get work anywhere:

Oconee county near Athens Ga is very nice. No traffic, great schools, little crime and close to UGA, so you can get a little culture if you want it (all types of music, plays, GA botanical garden, museums, resturants, shopping etc.). It is close to major higways, so you can get into Atlanta when you want (a little more than hour away without traffic). The south side of the county will have more acarage, if that is what you want. If you don't have kids, you can include Athens-Clarke County and all of the surrounding counties in your search (Oconee is the most expensive of the bunch, but you most of what you are paying for are the schools and proximity to highways).

Old 02-15-2013, 01:43 PM

22 posts, read 19,353 times
Thanks!

I do have kids, why would I not want to include those counties? Do they have bad schools?

Old 02-15-2013, 02:20 PM

563 posts, read 299,879 times
Oconee County schools are some of the best in the state. The other county schools range from below average to well above average (but still not as good as Oconee). Check out the GreatSchools.org Search: oconee county public schools website to compare schools --Oconee (South-West-of athens ga), Jackson Co. (north-West of AC) Barrow(West of AC), Madison (North-east of AC), Oglethorpe (East of AC), and Athens-Clarke Co (a mixed bag of schools). Also, most of the nicer shopping areas are concentrated around the border of Oconee Co. and Athens-Clarke Co.. Some of the other counties may feel a bit more rural than Oconee (which might feel very rural to somone from a city --my wife is a city-girl and she was kind of freaked out by seeing cows in pastures on the way to work).

Old 02-15-2013, 02:44 PM

7,244 posts, read 8,512,619 times
There are plenty of areas in GA with acreage and good schools. Recommendation will depend on your budget and work location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta