U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 05:08 PM

2,092 posts, read 2,651,454 times

Advertisements

I hope they are able to secure funding. I took the Xpress bus when I worked in Cobb county several years ago, and it really helped cut down on my commute time. It was a very relaxing ride and I really enjoyed it. However, I can see some arguing the point that if GRTA gets state funding then so should MARTA.

"GRTA is working diligently at the state Capitol to support funding for Xpress, the regional bus service that is in line to receive $8.7 million in state funding, if state lawmakers support budget requests by Gov. Nathan Deal.

Xpress is on schedule to run out of operating funds in June. The service continues today only because the state provided $5.4 million to sustain it through the 2013 fiscal year, which ends June 30.
Once that money is spent, there simply isn’t funding available to continue the existing level of service.

GRTA, which manages the bus system, is making the case to help lawmakers see the value in state funding for a transit system that reportedly takes 1.5 million cars a year off metro Atlanta’s roads with its 2.4 million boardings in fiscal year 2012..."

GRTA quietly making case to state lawmakers to fund Xpress bus service | SaportaReport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 05:22 PM

727 posts, read 1,064,676 times
Hope they get it.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:35 PM

5,253 posts, read 4,003,076 times
If this passes, hopefully the routes can get some midday service. Just a roundtrip each hour would be enough between the rush hours, if the routes stopped at the various locations instead of only serving one or two. Routes that go past MARTA stations could terminate there midday instead of going all the way to Atlanta. Something like that would be a good way of increasing, and judging potential ridership out ahead of any major fixed-guideway transit project.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:17 AM

23,245 posts, read 17,442,819 times
If the state funds GRTA, then it needs to fund MARTA! Why not just have GCT, CCT, and MARTA pick up the buses and run the routes.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:11 AM

Looks like Deal is proposing to fund GRTA with state dollars, State funding for Xpress a revolution | www.ajc.com.
This is complete BS that the governor will support express buses from the suburbs into the city, but will not fund the 9th busiest transit agency in the country.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:30 AM

29,247 posts, read 26,177,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Looks like Deal is proposing to fund GRTA with state dollars, State funding for Xpress a revolution | www.ajc.com.
This is complete BS that the governor will support express buses from the suburbs into the city, but will not fund the 9th busiest transit agency in the country.
GRTA hasn't been granted authority by the state to levy a 1 percent sales tax on every dollar spent in the areas it serves.

The state has granted MARTA that source of funding, which generates several hundred million dollars a year.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
GRTA hasn't been granted authority by the state to levy a 1 percent sales tax on every dollar spent in the areas it serves.

The state has granted MARTA that source of funding, which generates several hundred million dollars a year.
GRTA carries 9000 people and has the ability to cross county lines with little issues. Of course the gov. would support GRTA, since he elects its board and has direct control. The state also puts restrictions on MARTA, but gives $0 to it. Why doesn't CCT, GCT, and MARTA absorb the bus routes instead of directly competing against GRTA? One less government department to waste money on redundant service areas.
And now GDOT wants to spend $93 million to extend HOT lanes on 85, where does the stupidity end?

Old 02-25-2013, 11:39 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,233,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
GRTA carries 9000 people and has the ability to cross county lines with little issues. Of course the gov. would support GRTA, since he elects its board and has direct control. The state also puts restrictions on MARTA, but gives $0 to it. Why doesn't CCT, GCT, and MARTA absorb the bus routes instead of directly competing against GRTA? One less government department to waste money on redundant service areas.
And now GDOT wants to spend $93 million to extend HOT lanes on 85, where does the stupidity end?
I agree with you, it is really aggravating that the governor can fund transportation for the suburban conservative voters, but not for MARTA, which serves the economic engine of this state. This quote was particularly upsetting:

“A lot of folks in the state have come to rely on that,” said House Appropriations Chairman Terry England, citing Xpress’ benefits in taking cars off the road. “It’s probably OK as far as staying in the budget.”

Really? GRTA carries 9000 people per day, versus MARTA's 422,400 people per day. If that is their reasoning for funding GRTA, then MARTA more than deserves state funding, since it takes over 46 times that many people off the road everyday, and 46 times more people rely on it everyday. At least come up with a more believable reason and attempt to hide the cronyism under the Gold Dome.

EDIT: "Senate Appropriations Chairman Jack Hill lives 200 miles from Atlanta, but said he wouldn’t mind state tax dollars running Xpress.
“Atlanta is the economic engine of the state, and you know we don’t need to make decisions that clearly impede its progress,” Hill said."

I just had to add this particularly funny quote, because since when has somebody under the Gold Dome held this opinion (unless they are from Atlanta, of course)?

Last edited by CCATL; 02-25-2013 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: I had to add this particularly funny quote...

Old 02-25-2013, 11:44 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,233,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

My guess would be that if the state granted the authority to levy a 1% sales tax in the areas GRTA served, the citizens of those areas would be up in arms. Fulton and DeKalb tax themselves to support our transit system, so why can't the people who always scream "no more taxes!", or "entitlements!" tax themselves to support their own transit system? Just like they always say, why should I use my tax dollars to subsidize a service I won't use? I'm not saying this is my stance on things, I'm just saying that those who believe that should remember it when it comes time that they need something to ease traffic in an area they CHOSE to live.

If the state is going to help fund one transit service, they should also help to fund the largest transit agency in this state, rather than just trying to control what they don't pay for.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I agree with you, it is really aggravating that the governor can fund transportation for the suburban conservative voters, but not for MARTA, which serves the economic engine of this state. This quote was particularly upsetting:

“A lot of folks in the state have come to rely on that,” said House Appropriations Chairman Terry England, citing Xpress’ benefits in taking cars off the road. “It’s probably OK as far as staying in the budget.”

Really? GRTA carries 9000 people per day, versus MARTA's 422,400 people per day. If that is their reasoning for funding GRTA, then MARTA more than deserves state funding, since it takes over 46 times that many people off the road everyday, and 46 times more people rely on it everyday. At least come up with a more believable reason and attempt to hide the cronyism under the Gold Dome.
One word, idiots! MARTA carries very little of the republican parties voting base, so they have no reason to support it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta