Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Although I'm not a professional interviewer, I have periodically had to hire people and typically had many candidates.

I always tried to engage each person. For one thing, you find out a lot more about them than you see on a sheet of paper. Was I friendly and courteous to them? Of course! They deserved respect for taking the time to consider us and coming out to give an interview.

This was up north, and I don't believe any aspect of the process had to do with "southern charm." I just wanted to talk to these people, find out what they were looking for and try to assess whether they would be a good fit in our organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I always thought things like this could be explained by the hiring manager already knowing who he wants to hire for the job, whether it is an internal candidate, friend of his, etc. But HR forces him to interview a pool of candidates so they can have the EEO paperwork straight. It could be that your husband never had a chance from the get go, but that doesn't mean the hiring manager didn't like him. It could explain why the interviews are casual, because they aren't real interviews.
In my experience this is the more the issue than anything. People know who they want and play this game for policy.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 AM

38 posts, read 43,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
In my experience this is the more the issue than anything. People know who they want and play this game for policy.
It makes total sense considering the job I'm starting next week is at my sister's office. She got me the interview there but they still interviewed other canidates since it's a big company and they have a formal process...I'm sure they were already partial (luckily in my favor this time!).

Maybe going to networking groups is a good idea, to get some connections.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
People will smile in your face and not like you in Atlanta. That sort of thing is nothing new.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:00 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,444 times
They smilin in your face

All the time trying to take your place

Old 02-21-2013, 01:07 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
People will smile in your face and not like you in Atlanta. That sort of thing is nothing new.
And someone thinks that is unique to Atlanta? lol

Old 02-21-2013, 01:35 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
They smilin in your face

oh thats my song

Old 02-21-2013, 01:48 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
They smilin in your face

So, better work harder!

Old 02-21-2013, 02:07 PM

38 posts, read 43,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
And someone thinks that is unique to Atlanta? lol
Haha I don't know, people in DC and NOVA are pretty rude...snotty and just focused on work. There's no chit chat amongst strangers there. You can head over to the Northern Virginia thread and find more people talking about this - there was even a thread criticizing Wells Fargo bank for encouraging tellers to be friendly and ask about their client's day or weekend, citing that it wastes peoples time. Really??

Generally speaking some areas are just SO MUCH less friendly than in Atlanta..even a fake smile would be surprising up there. So given this background I guess that's why it's so surprising that interviewers here are so chummy in interviews for nothing.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:40 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
My father was a business executive his entire career at big companies.

Whenever I complain to him about something happening in my company, he always says the same thing: "It sounds like your company is just like every other one in America: all f'ed up!"

This is endemic. It's just the nature of how companies behave. The worst offender, though, is absolutely human resources. I don't know if the interviews the OP has been talking about have been conducted by HR or hiring managers, but in 2005 an incredible article was written about human resources in Fast Company magazine. It's probably my favorite business article ever because it is so incredibly dead-on. It may be 8 years old, but it is as true today as it was when it was written, maybe even moreso.

Every job seeker and hiring manager must read this: Why We Hate HR | Fast Company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: