U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 02:48 PM

38 posts, read 36,894 times

Advertisements

I have written on a few threads here about my husband's difficulty finding work since moving from DC and we are both at our wit's end. He has been to around 5 interviews all of which went fantastic. By the end of the interview they're sharing stories like old friends, the hiring manager is telling him how much he likes him, using the words "we" alot, is super positive the entire interview, etc...we're convinced he'll get the second interview or an offer...and then they end up hiring someone with 6 months more software experience or there isn't an explanation at all.

Is this part of the "southern charm" here? Is everyone this fake? I've never been to an interview that went so well that I wasn't hired. Granted, we're in two different lines of work (I'm marketing, he's accounting) but still. Back in DC interviewing managers weren't rubbing elbows with you over the desk just for the hell of it. They are less friendly and more professional - not a lot of smiling, laughing, story sharing, etc. It's emotionally exhausting constantly thinking you're going to get an offer from this guy that was your best friend 2 days ago...

Also....recruiters....do any of them actually do their jobs???

Just a rant and to see if anyone else has been dealing with this.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 06:33 PM

2,374 posts, read 3,726,997 times
This is a reflection of the weak job market. Whomever is interviewing your husband generally does like him etc. But when all the interviews are done, they have to sit down and make a choice on the best candidate for their company and with a deep pool of candidates your husband is just not that guy. But this is a numbers game and eventually his number will come up if he is consistently one of the top candidate.

As for recruiters don't forget that they work for the company and not the candidate. Their job is to get potential candidates in the door. Their top two priorities are keeping their customer happy and making their commission. So yes, for their customer they are doing their job. Recruiters are a necessary evil for job candidates. They have access to the jobs but never lose focus that you are not their priority. Part of their process is to learn from their customer why a candidate does not work out so they can do their job better. The decent recruiters pass this information on to you.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:43 PM

5,255 posts, read 4,006,417 times
Unfortunately, it is in a way part of the "Southern Charm." What I mean, is that classic Southern Hospitality was such that complete strangers could be best friends in a very short amount of time. As lorilove above said, if the next interviewee and the interviewer also become "best of friends" sharing stories and such by the end of their interview, but they have 6-months more experience, or a certification that the previous person didn't, or any number of other very slight advantages. Or on the flip side, it might be cheaper to hire someone with less credentials, train them but pay less, than to hire someone with a lot of credentials. But in a market where the job-seekers exceed the job, HR can afford to picky.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:47 PM

22,815 posts, read 34,848,293 times
How do even know that the interviewers are native to the region? Please.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:20 PM

8,276 posts, read 10,211,366 times
I always thought things like this could be explained by the hiring manager already knowing who he wants to hire for the job, whether it is an internal candidate, friend of his, etc. But HR forces him to interview a pool of candidates so they can have the EEO paperwork straight. It could be that your husband never had a chance from the get go, but that doesn't mean the hiring manager didn't like him. It could explain why the interviews are casual, because they aren't real interviews.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:31 PM

7 posts, read 21,902 times
I am a hiring manager for my company in NC, and I cannot say it any better than Lori did above. There are a lot of great candidates out there, and it all comes down to who has the edge over the other candidates. Most of the interviews I do go well, and I develop a good rapport with the candidate, but that doesn't mean he/she is the best fit for what I need. Liking someone and wanting to hire them are two very different ends of the spectrum.

I understand that this process can be discouraging, but I'm sure things will come around for your husband. I'm sorry that he is having such a tough time with his job hunt.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:28 AM

8,276 posts, read 10,211,366 times
So once you have combed through all the resumes, are all the candidates that come in for interviews on equal footing?

What I mean to say, is that before anyone steps foot in the door, you've got the basic info on their qualifications. So when the interviews are complete, is it pretty much a contest of who performed better in the interview and who seems like a good fit, or do hard qualifications still come into play?

To put it another way, once you are selected for interviews, can you consider yourself an equal candidate with everyone else, or can you still lose the job to someone who just has a better resume but didn't necessarily interview any better than you did?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 AM

492 posts, read 622,553 times
Yeah, the "they had a better resume" excuse should be determined before you even interview. If that's a factor why waste someone's time?

Employers think that just because someone is jobless they have time to waste in bs interviews. It's extremely rude.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,119,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
To put it another way, once you are selected for interviews, can you consider yourself an equal candidate with everyone else, or can you still lose the job to someone who just has a better resume but didn't necessarily interview any better than you did?
That depends greatly on the role. I work as part of a very small engineering team, so group dynamic is extremely important. If someone proves themselves through the interview process to be a good "mesh" with the existing group, they could be given preference over someone who might have a slight advantage in the hard skills area. If we needed someone to sit in an office and write code all day, the person with the better technical qualifications might be holding the trump card.

Short answer is, there are lots of very qualified people seeking employment right now. Even if your skills and experiences make you "1 in 10,000" people that are right for a job . . . with 12,000,000 people unemployed, there are still 1,200 people just as qualified as your are. You can bet a couple of them live in your area, and found the same Monster posting you did. That is a statistically inaccurate, gross oversimplification, but the point remains: there are a lot of people and not a lot of jobs.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:48 AM

38 posts, read 36,894 times
Thank you for all of the insight, I appreciate the different opinions.

Like an above poster said, I think because of the nature of accounting work, software skills probably outweight people skills, even if the person is a good fit personality wise. They're most likely to go with the person that can just get the job done...sad, because software is so easy to learn and it's always changing anyways. Personalities, on the other hand, are permenant!

Funny, he had an interview in October and lost to another candidate despite getting along very well in the interview - because the other candidate had more softtware experience. Well, according to the recruiter, they fired the other candidate in December and are once again looking. You'd thinking accounting people would be a little more analytical in their hiring process, taking into account the big picture, but I guess not.

In the meantime I suppose we will adjust to the southern charm and over-friendliness and try not to take it personal. You have to understand, no one in DC is nice to one another unless it's to their benefit. So interviews are usually very cut-to-the-chase and strictly business with no time for sports or back-in-the-day talk...anyhow thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or