U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2013, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
Reputation: 11185

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
BajanYankee, with all due respect, what is your point of going on and on about this? It almost comes across like you would want that to happen and are relishing the day that (in your mind, anyway) it does.

I can't imagine why anyone would want Atlanta to morph into a place like NYC or Philly, except for people from NYC and Philly, and that's probably because y'all have such a well earned reputation for wanting to take over everything that you touch and force it into the mold of your hometown because you have a built-in (and misplaced, if you'll excuse me for saying so) sense of superiority.

If you do, indeed, want Atlanta to turn into "Little Brooklyn" then I can assure you that you would be in the minority. The reality is that there are plenty of people who would probably be tickled pink if they never saw another transplant from "New Yawk" or "LawnGYEland" again.
I already told you.

I've heard some say that the Research Triangle will no longer be southern because of all the recent migration to the area. Some have gone so far to say that it's been "northernized" (even if transplants come from California or Oregon because they are also seen as "Yankees" by true southerners). Given that Atlanta has a large transplant population, I think it's reasonable to ask if the city will soon follow suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2013, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
No, it won't. And the Research Triangle won't ever be Mid-Atlantic either. The fact of the matter is that Virginia and south are Southern. Nothing wrong with that, but it won't be Northern. DC-NYC is Mid-Atlantic and further Northeast is New England. It doesn't just change because of demographics.
But look at South Florida. It's south of Georgia and nobody considers that the South. So the demographics do make a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 04:07 PM
 
12,913 posts, read 19,787,452 times
Reputation: 33915
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If you ask my brother if he lives in the South, he responds: "No, I live in Atlanta."

If hundreds of thousands of former Philadelphians, New Yorkers and Bostonians all believe the same thing, then their progeny will believe the same thing, and they'll rub off on their classmates. They'll ridicule everyone else for "talking country" and then high school students will all conform to the Snooki standard. Before you know it, scrapple will replace grits as the brekafast dish of choice. And "y'all" will be replaced by "all uh yas."
You sound as though everything you've learned about the northern US has been gleaned from "reality" TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You sound as though everything you've learned about the northern US has been gleaned from "reality" TV.
Why do you say that? I was born in the North. Raised in the North. Live in the North. I think I know a thing or two about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 04:15 PM
 
Location: USA
7,778 posts, read 9,608,567 times
Reputation: 11672
There is no earthly reason why Atlanta would ever be northern. It is southern and that isn't going to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 04:27 PM
 
4,570 posts, read 6,377,450 times
Reputation: 2522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Southern culture will always form the backdrop of Atlanta's cultural melange, mainly because it's even more of a popular relocation hotspot for other Southerners. It will just become an even more culturally hybridized version of what it currently is but still distinctly Southern.
Took the words out of my mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 04:32 PM
 
631 posts, read 1,025,479 times
Reputation: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If you ask my brother if he lives in the South, he responds: "No, I live in Atlanta."

If hundreds of thousands of former Philadelphians, New Yorkers and Bostonians all believe the same thing, then their progeny will believe the same thing, and they'll rub off on their classmates. They'll ridicule everyone else for "talking country" and then high school students will all conform to the Snooki standard. Before you know it, scrapple will replace grits as the brekafast dish of choice. And "y'all" will be replaced by "all uh yas."
It sounds like you don't even want Atlanta to be southern. I think it's possible for Atlanta to be urban, cosmopolitan, progressive and southern all at the same time.

And by the way, I think the opposite happens in schools. In my suburban community, we got a lot of new students from other areas of the country and they all became pretty well acclimated to southern culture, not the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,895 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Reputation: 12542
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
It sounds like you don't even want Atlanta to be southern. I think it's possible for Atlanta to be urban, cosmopolitan, progressive and southern all at the same time.

And by the way, I think the opposite happens in schools. In my suburban community, we got a lot of new students from other areas of the country and they all became pretty well acclimated to southern culture, not the other way around.
Absolutely. My sister raised three boys in west Cobb County. Most of their peers were northern transplants. If there was any assimilation going on, it was these kids embracing Southern culture: Monster trucks, NASCAR, rebel yells, all night bonfire parties and so on. Ours is a powerful and charismatic culture once you are immersed in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 05:18 PM
 
1,785 posts, read 2,102,092 times
Reputation: 1311
no, too many come just for work, then leave again because of work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,621 posts, read 11,173,495 times
Reputation: 6590
The thread is funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top