Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 07:47 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,132,994 times

Advertisements

I hate to complain about a free festival in a beautiful setting, but most of this year's lineup was announced....and it's not great. I wouldn't even consider some of it to be real jazz---more like R and B, hiphop, pop, etc.

Do you think this is reflective of the entire country? That straightahead jazz is dying/dead? (Or many of the players who played real jazz are no longer alive or performing?) Or that economics dictated higher lesser acts? I'm wondering if other jazz festivals around the country are dumbing down the offerings? Yes, I know people love R and B, hiphop, and pop....but it's a JAZZ festival!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 07:59 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
That's not all that common. In fact I recently saw a commercial for the Dubai Jazz festival featuring such jazz greats as Three Doors Down and Deep Purple.

Newport 1958 they ain't. These "jazz" festivals are more about urban/easy listening than what most people think of when they think jazz. And honestly, I doubt jazz could draw a sizeable crowd nowadays. I can't honestly name more than a handful of modern jazz artists, yet I can name a lot of the greats up until the 60's.

The Atlanta "Blues" festival might disappoint you too.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:05 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,695 times
Hey...at least we have Festivals...a lot of places these days don't even do that.

But unfortunately Jazz isn't as big as it once was...which is ok..times changes.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:57 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I hate to complain about a free festival in a beautiful setting, but most of this year's lineup was announced....and it's not great. I wouldn't even consider some of it to be real jazz---more like R and B, hiphop, pop, etc.

Do you think this is reflective of the entire country? That straightahead jazz is dying/dead? (Or many of the players who played real jazz are no longer alive or performing?) Or that economics dictated higher lesser acts? I'm wondering if other jazz festivals around the country are dumbing down the offerings? Yes, I know people love R and B, hiphop, and pop....but it's a JAZZ festival!
I'm not seen the line up, but I'm seen various Jazz Fest in my home metro & seen the one they had in Woodruff Park a few years ago.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:10 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,655 times
Quote:

Hey JazzCat, I am a fan of straight ahead jazz as well as other progressive forms of music, and you are correct alot of other jazzfest do dumb down offerings. I think that alot of the big name "real" jazz artist are dead/dying. Look we just lost Donald Byrd last week (although he caught alot of heat when he hooked up with the Mizell Brothers) However, when I saw the line-up I became excited. Gretchen Parlato, Jose James are part of a new "young" jazz movement. Those guys along with Robert Glasper, Esperanza Spaulding, Chris "Daddy" Dave are the future of jazz. Gretchen & Jose have strong international followings, but are not really well known here in the states, especially the south. One thing I noticed moving to Atlanta, that this is a big smooth jazz town, which I think is horrible. The same smooth jazz guys, play the same venues for the same people. I'm glad Atlanta is starting to attract some young fresh musicians. Not to mention Meshell N'Degeochello is on the bill.

At the end of the day, I'd rather having this line-up than a Joey Summerville / Ken Ford smooth jazz snoozefest this year.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:35 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,239 times
Quote:

Have u been to jazz fest in New Orleans ? It's almost the same thing

Old 02-24-2013, 08:31 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Have u been to jazz fest in New Orleans ? It's almost the same thing
Fleetwood Mac is headlining.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
That's not all that common. In fact I recently saw a commercial for the Dubai Jazz festival featuring such jazz greats as Three Doors Down and Deep Purple.
This is nothing new. Rock acts have been playing jazz festivals since at least the '50s. Chuck Berry performed at the '58 Newport Jazz Festival. All the big British hard rock bands played jazz festivals in the '60s and '70s.

Hey festival organizers, Sonny Rollins is still alive. Why not get him on the bill? This lineup is not worthy of what they like to call the "largest free jazz festival in the world."*

*Free as in no fee to enter, not as in Ornette Coleman and Eric Dolphy.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:49 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,746 times
I have seen this trend in many areas, not just ATL. Jazz has a very broad definition nowadays, though I only limit my use of the term to the definition that is still accepted in NOLA.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-25-2013, 09:37 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,132,994 times
Thanks for your replies. In some ways, you've made me feel better in that this isn't just reflective of Atlanta. In other ways, it feels worse that jazz is dying.

This article explains it further:

When is a Jazz Festival (Not) a Jazz Festival?

But now my question is---if jazz is so unappealing to the younger folks they want to get, why still call it a jazz festival? Why not call it just a music festival?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: