Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 03:38 PM

55 posts, read 233,907 times

Advertisements

Beautiful homes, intoeyes2001! I'm so glad that none of them got damaged by the tornado. My heart melts every time I see beautiful old homes like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 03:52 PM

162 posts, read 683,755 times
Westviewbungalow;
I thank you for the information I'm looking for an investment property preferably a duplex in an up and coming area. These prices are unbelievable.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:55 PM

55 posts, read 233,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Cobb View Post
Westviewbungalow;
I thank you for the information I'm looking for an investment property preferably a duplex in an up and coming area. These prices are unbelievable.
An investment property to live in?

Old 03-20-2008, 04:23 PM

7 posts, read 28,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Cobb View Post
Westviewbungalow;
The problem with investment properties is renters don't do much for the neighborhood. I don't mean to knock renters, but typically when people don't own the home they live in they tend to not get involved with the community. (This isn't always the case, but I'm making a generalization.) When a community is in transition most investors don't do much except rent out the property and sit back and wait; therefore, a neighborhood full of investment properties isn't going anywhere fast!

What transitioning neighborhoods really need are homeowners that live in the neighborhood. If you really want to invest you need to be involved, or better yet live in the community you want to invest in.

The prices in Westview and West End are good, but we need people that are going to get involved. It is an ideal situation for first-time home owners that want to live close to town and not pay a fortune.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:16 AM

7 posts, read 14,895 times
Hi,

I am interested in buying a home in one of these two neighborhoods, but as someone mentioned above I want to live in a neighborhood with other homeowners. I just recieved a job offer in Atlanta, and I will be moving there in June; however, I plan to rent for 3 to 6 months (to become more familiar with the city).

Are there many investors buying up the properties in these neighborhood? I am afraid that by the time I make it to Atlanta (and I'm ready to buy), the most desirable properties will be gone (or rented out)...

Old 03-21-2008, 04:41 PM

179 posts, read 557,595 times
There's still at least three available on my street! Come move in! Many of these houses are still available because investors don't want to pay the already low bank-owned prices. Mortgage fraud has put most of these homes in foreclosure and now they're popping up on the market at rock-bottom prices - they just need someone to buy them and love them. We've seen a couple of houses go under contract and then the contract has fallen through. The house we bought had a couple of investors put in offers, but we were willing to pay a bit more than them; we still got the house for under $100k and it's gorgeous *sigh*. I can't wait until we're done renovating and can move in. You should still be able to get something in 3-6 months, and we'd LOVE to have you as a homeowner. West End residents are some of the most active and involved I've ever seen and welcome all new homeowners with open arms.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:22 PM

6 posts, read 19,569 times
Default West End Tour of Homes

Hi everyone,

West End is having a tour of homes May 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Actually, the 2nd is a concert at the Wren Nest, otherwise known as Chastin South. Theresa Hightower will be the featured guest (check out her myspace) Ticket for that is $25.00 BYOB and food
The 3rd and the 4th is the actual tour. It starts at noon at the Wren Nest. great houses to see. Price $15.00 for both day. The beltline will also be featured Go to atlantawestend.com - Home for more detail. Tickets will go online soon.

The theme will be May Day so there will be a small May Day festival (very small)

This is a chance to see West End.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,519 times
My fiance and I are looking to buy a home in West End and are planning to attend the next neighborhood association meeting. We walked around West End yesterday and felt at ease; and a neighbor stopped by to introduce herself. Overall, we got a great vibe from the neighborhood and loved many of the houses we looked at. I would love to get together with some neighbors once we move in. We are looking at houses on hopkins, Peeples, and White. Any advice as far as what to look out for with some of these older homes? Thanks!

Old 03-25-2008, 01:04 PM

179 posts, read 557,595 times
My advice? Get a good inspector. Some of these homes need extensive repairs, others, not so much. Our inspector, while pointing out the problems which we mostly knew about, was also very positive about the house and allowed us to make an informed decision. We ended up gutting half of our home, but we were kind of prepared for that going in, so we budgeted for it. Of course, what we're running into is choosing to do bigger and bigger projects up front...plus we're having fun fixing up all of the details, which are starting to add up (i.e., we were missing one oak mantle so we're refinishing one we purchased, we're adding some stained glass, we decided to opt for a clawfoot tub, etc.)
Go for it! You'll fall in love with your house and the neighbors are pretty great as well.
We're putting so much thought and energy into renovating that I'm afraid we'll never want to leave once we move in! Not that it's a bad thing.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:32 PM

145 posts, read 598,271 times
Couple of recent AJC articles about West End Tour of Homes for those interested.

Classic West End Victorian updated with modern edge | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/living/homeandgarden/stories/2008/04/29/HGEnglish_0501.html - broken link)

After 25 years, a May Day revival | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/05/01/hometour.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta